How do people buy tyres nowadays?

paul_r

Reaction score
Normally i ring round, go to the cheapest place (or get them to price match) and get them fitted. Looking on the web there are some places that sell tyres at a good discount. Per tyre.......

Kwick Fit Pirelli p Zero 225/45/17 £148 all in.
Lovetyres.com £89 delivered. Obviously fitting is extra.

Does anyone do this.
Is it worth the (slight) hassle.
Would a garage take as much care fitting them, as if you bought them there. (my alloys are 100% perfect atm)

Audi A3 2007 2.0tdi

Normally i ring round, go to the cheapest place (or get them to price match) and get them fitted. Looking on the web there are some places that sell tyres at a good discount. Per tyre.......

Kwick Fit Pirelli p Zero 225/45/17 £148 all in.
Lovetyres.com £89 delivered. Obviously fitting is extra.

Does anyone do this.
Is it worth the (slight) hassle.
Would a garage take as much care fitting them, as if you bought them there. (my alloys are 100% perfect atm)

Audi A3 2007 2.0tdi

I do, but then my brother works in the trade and fits them for me

Cheapest place to buy tyres is Camskill.
Then pay your local tyre place to fit.

Or.. try Blackcircles and specify fitting. You then search for the closest fitter they offer, pay upfront through their website and the tyres will be delivered to the fitter and you arrange a date/time for your fitting. This also usually works out cheaper than buying direct from a tyre shop.

I buy from camskill and pay local tyre fitter CASH four tyres fitted for me is £30

same, I buy from camskill and get someone local to fit for me, they make most of their money off the fitting anyway

I just bought two from mytyres and had them fitted locally. Always works out cheaper!

camskill or tyremen.co.uk for me - then pay about £10 a corner for fitting & balancing.

Camskill are usually the cheapest, usually, tyre places will usually charge around £10 a corner to fit. So use that as a bargaining tool.

Camskill price delivered + £10 a corner to fit, say I can get it fitted for £xx per corner. That's what I'd do anyway

;)

I used event tyres to come out and fit 4 Goodyear eagle f1's for £510 which I thought was a pretty good price and I didn't have the hassle of trying to get to a garage.

thats for 225 40 18 tyres

Last edited:
Give tyre shopper.co.uk a try have had some good prices from them they use national tyre centres for fitting.

Cheapest budget tyres has to be halford autocentre, 18" £48 fitted each corner

I think tyres and brake are one of the most important bits not to cheap out on. Lets say you do an S3 brake conversion then run those tryes, your car still won't stop due to the poor grip.. I would go top of the mid range tyres if your trying to save monies on tyres..

People always make mistakes with them and they're what actual keep your car on the road..

Cheapest budget tyres has to be halford autocentre, 18" £48 fitted each corner

Now that is damn cheap! They must be some seriously bad tyres! I thought I was being cheap buying Nankangs!
laugh.gif

My reps on my BMW came with doublestar tyres (£40 I think) completely ruined the handling and my pants so I got em off the car swiftly!

Confused, what's the childs drawing about? Ditches? what about them? I normally buy goodyear but this year I said F**K it, Almost 7 months later the tyres are performing excellent, plenty thread left. Can't tell the difference, although I still have goodyear at the back. But it's the front you notice the most.

The drawing was suggesting his joke went over your head. Which I think it did. Along with his drawing.

The 'ditches' comment was suggesting that sticking £48 Halfords budget tyres on a reasonably powerful hatchback is a recipe for ditch hunting.

When you can pick up Falken FK452's from camskill for £75 each, I would personally pay that little extra to have a reasonably well respected tyre.

Confused, what's the childs drawing about? Ditches? what about them? I normally buy goodyear but this year I said F**K it, Almost 7 months later the tyres are performing excellent, plenty thread left. Can't tell the difference, although I still have goodyear at the back. But it's the front you notice the most.
I really hope you're trolling, otherwise you're a total moron.

****** hell i'm skint but, £48 for NEW tyres is asking for trouble, thats why I may be getting some part worn conti's with 6mm for £35 each (inc fitting), now that's sensable budget buying.

wow..... £48 per tyre Fitted!, thats real cheap! Personally I wouldnt put them on a trailer, but each to their own. As most have said, I use camskill and then get my local garage to fit them (usually £8 per tyre). Infact I've just found a nail in my rear passenger tyre on the sidewall, slow puncture only just now but I've experienced a blow out from a tyre first hand, and it was due to a nail in the tyre. I've subsequently just ordered a new Michelin PS3 from camskill for £108 delivered, which I thought was absolutely fantastic. It wouldnt have been so bad if it wasnt for the fact that I still have 6mm of tread on the tyre!

Last edited:
F**k off don't call me a moron

Dont act like one then.

Cheap Chinese ditch finders are a danger to you and to the person you hit when you realise they're utter junk and put you into the car in front or a ditch.

They don't perform well, they'll never wear out because they have no grip being such a hard compound.

All I can hope is that you have put then on a diesel a3 and not one with any power because thy would be truly moronic.

The worst thing is you've advised other people to do this too!

Yep, scrimping on the things that are actually keeping you planted to the road is a big no no, imo of course!

im gonna have to find something with a harder compound as ive done two sets of falkens since last october
ive used cheap tyres in the past and found them to have as much grip as that shiny toilet paper we had at school in the 70s !!

I hear you with the Falkens. Had them since the start of the year and will be close to me needing to replace them. First time ive used them. They grip fantastically but want something which would last a bit longer.

Ive used Toyo T1-Rs on previous cars and love them so will probably go back to them i think!

i saw a comparison artical testing tyres of different brands budget, medium and top of the range. same driver and car same course/test.

the budget chinese tyres were like 8 seconds behind even the top brands on a minutes lap round a wet test course. and braking distance from 70mph was nearly half again more!
where as the middle brands were less than a second and just a couple of meters behind the top brands.

forget who did the testing but they were sending the info to all the relavent bodies with a view to stopping the sales of the cheap chinese brands as a road safety issue!!

you buy them if you like lol! id be buying part worns if on a budget!

Part worms aren't much better than ditch finders, where do they even come from? Crashed cars? Insurance write offs? No thanks.

Just buy decent tyres, it's a false economy doing anything else. Why spend thousands on a decent car but risk your life with dodgy tyres to save at best a couple of hundred quid?

Falkens blow, they're barely any cheaper than the best tyres and their wear rate sucks.

I compare prices with black circles, and barter with my local tyre company, who I know will not damage my alloys.
I never go budget. Always Michelin.

yeh blackcircles for me and i actually came across a mobile tyre fitter that i had never heard of that had a 5 star recommendation... got my tyres done.. and got 4 tesco clubcard points per £1 spent on the tyre so the missus aint complaining either.

has anyone used camskill? they seem to have fairly decent prices on their tyres bar the fitting etc.

has anyone used camskill? they seem to have fairly decent prices on their tyres bar the fitting etc.

Camskill are mentioned 5 times in the first 8 posts in this thread. So yes, lots of us use them!

I have used mytyres.com, not as cheap as they used to be, and local tyre fitter fit for £40-00, but last set F1's Local tyre place matched mytyres, and I had those fitted all in for £119.00 each.

Haha I bet it's fixed, probably wasn't braking hard enough. You won't catch me doing 70 in heavy rain anyway. If I kill myself with the budget tires, so be it. As I said almost 7 months of happy motoring with my budget tyres. FYI I'm not on a budget :p

Natural selection in action.

Reactions: devonmikeyboy, quattro81 and murran
Camskill FTW!

Cheapest tyre I'd go for in a Falken 452. For an extra £20 a corner get the Vreds. Best performance/cost tyre out there!

Camskill FTW!

Cheapest tyre I'd go for in a Falken 452. For an extra £20 a corner get the Vreds. Best performance/cost tyre out there!

100% agreed.

To add to what others have said, I've found Camskill to be very good.

nothing wrong with part worns. ive bought more than several!
i bought a set of 4 195/50 15s locally via ebay for £32. silverstone directionals they were. all 6mm+. nothing wrong with them. on talking to the chap selling them they were on the steels on his peugoet when he bought it. when he upgraded to alloys he had the tyres removed from the steels and weighed them in. he was guna keep the tyres incase he ever got a car with the same size tyres but then he wanted to put his car in the garage and needed the room.

you can fit and remove tyres as much as you want aslong as you dont damage the bead.
if the tyre off a crashed/written off or scrapped car isnt damaged then its fine to be removed and fitted to another wheel. and it'll be 100% fine. simples. only thing to watch out for is the date stamp on them not being over 5 years old as it shouldnt really be remounted if its older.
the date stamp is on the tyre wall somewhere in a little box. it'll say sumurt like 2309 which is week 23 of year 09........

7 months of happy motoring with my budget tyres.

until you need to avoid an object in the road in wet conditions or you cant stop fast enough when a child runs out in the road.

so your not on a budget, your just naturally a tight ar5e?

Reactions: johnnythepie
Camskill or Blackcircles for me (especially with their extra return buyer discounts etc) though I have used Mytyres too. Usually Blackcircles for road tyres and Camskill for the track stuff like R888's.

Have to say I found the budget tyre discussion amusing. Here's a link to the Evo 2012 Summer Tyre test to add a few facts, the results are easy enough to understand - stay with the quality brands for high performance tyres on quick cars:2012 EVO Max Performance Tyre Test | the online tyre guide