Central locking nightmare - please please help

Blacky165

Reaction score

Hello everyone, I've just bought an Audi A3 2.0TDi Sport 2005 ( 3 door 8p). Its got a few minor cosmetic faults but it was extremely good value. However the most annoying problem is the central locking. I'll do my best to explain the problem:

Both key remotes don't seem to recognise the car at all - they do nothing. The light comes on the remote so I presume the internal batteries are fine. But it's also a real struggle to open the car manually with the key. It will lock everytime with a left twist (confirmed by indicator flash), but a right twist will only open the car after several dozen attempts! The lock springs feel ok, and it doesn't feel slack or broken. it's a total lottery - no special knack or technique, it's just got a mind of its own. It opened first time once, that was incrediable!

When I eventually get into the car, both keys work perfectly in the ignition and starts the car every time (so no problem with immobiliser). Curiously when key A is in the ignition, key B is able to manually open and lock the drivers door every single time - the mechanism appears fine. So I don't think the physical door lock mechanism is at fault.

I've tried several techniques of resyncing the remotes, but this doesn't work. Ive read something about a "central locking pump" in the boot, they seem fairly cheap on eBay. Could this be the problem?

Please remember I don't know much about the cars history. Bought from a small independent garage, did cost me much and used this fault to negotiate a big discount. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I look like an idiot trying to get into my car at the moment in the pouring rain!

Ok quick update. Had a look behind boot liner which revealed a "convenience module", and not a vacuum pump like I had been expecting. The convenience module looked clean, not water damage etc.

Would changing this solve my problem? They seem fairly cheap on eBay (and the part numbers match). Am I going to have to recode anything if I install a new module??

I've also discovered a technique to opening the doors manually on my car. Turn the key once left, a subtle locking sound is heard, turn it left again and a louder locking sound is heard. Reverse this process turning the key to the right twice opens the door . It's not foolproof but works 70% of the time.

Can someone please help me?! What else could be wrong if it's not the convenience module??

Have you had the car scanned with VCDS to see if there are any fault codes and what they are it will help you narrow the fault down.

Where abouts are you and check the VCDS user map to see if there is someone local to you that could help.

Thanks for the advice, I'm in the West mids/Shropshire area. I've looked at the map - no one is that close unfortunately. Might buy my own equipment on eBay. I've read some bad reviews on here about cheap cables but I've found one that appears to half decent plus if it doesn't work then it's only £15 wasted.

You would be better using the £15 for fuel money and beer tokens for someone on here to use a real VCDS cable and software to diagnose a fault if any.

digging this up as I have the same issue, fobs work some time not others, keys work in the doors ok. Has anyone any advice as I have no fault codes and batteries have been changed , where are the units that controls the central locking?

Hi Manor, i fixed my problem by buying a second hand Audi keyfob from eBay (making sure it was compatible). I then lifted the circuit board from the eBay fob, and replaced it with mine (the immobiliser chip is seperate). Then I just re coded it with VCDS. It's worked perfectly ever since.