Sky InsuranceBadger5
    5th Gear

Status

Definitive answer please!! :-p

Hi all,

I've searched the forum and it's conflicting answers.. If you remove your oil cap at idle and the car sounds like it might stall does this indicate a bad pcv or is it normal? Tfsi engine?

Any ideas?
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    dont think it should try and stall, have you scanned it with vcds?
    whereabouts in Norwich are you

5th Gear

Status
    There are no fault codes at all would a faulty pcv show a fault or not?
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

5th Gear

Status
    I emailed my vw mechanic his response was.. Breather system is under vacuum from inlet manifold. Taking oil cap off causes leak and weak air mixture... Normal!!! Closed my own thread lol

6th Gear

Status
    it should be no harder/different to remove the oil cap when its ticking over, to when the engines off.
    it should only slightly upset the smoothness of idle when its removed.

if the oil cap feels held down by vacuum, then when removed theres an intake of air thru the oil cap hole and then the engine looks like its trying to run on 2 cylinders/struggling to keep running.

then yes the valve is faulty and subjecting the crankcase to the idle vacuum in the inlet manifold. the air in the crankcase is unmetered air the same as a normal atmospheric air leak would be. and its most certainly a cause of rough idle.

you can get fault codes such as misfire faults, throttle body faults, air leak (mixture adaption) faults. but not always!!

5th Gear

Status
    Or maybe I didn't solve my own thread... :-/ it upsets idle there is some vacuum but it's not difficult to get off... Hmmm no fault codes at all soooooooooooo.....????

No pressure but runs really lumpy after taking the cap off???

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/...n/a99c48a7.mp4
    Last edited by OVRA3; 13th July 2012 at 20:58.

6th Gear

Status
    the pcv does a balancing act..... stopping the crankcase being SUBJECTED to the VACUUM in the inlet manifold.
    while at the same time allowing any CRANKCASE PRESSURE to be DRAWN OFF by the vacuum in the inlet.

thats the difference. and why yours is most likely faulty.

dont forget theres also boost pressure in the inlet under boost conditions, the pcv also isolates the crankcase from this too.

6th Gear

Status
    the part is only like £40, theres a fitting guide on here, and the part is a redesigned one..... and it takes 15mins.
    the hardest part is getting the engine cover/airbox off its rubber mountings......

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    the part is only like £40, theres a fitting guide on here, and the part is a redesigned one..... and it takes 15mins.
    the hardest part is getting the engine cover/airbox off its rubber mountings......
    Thanks mate do you know what the part number is by chance?

1st Gear

Status
    Forge catch can fitted to my S3, no more PCV issues as it was nothing but trouble on the old FR not to mention the carbon coked inlet valves.

Last edited by CornRattle; 13th July 2012 at 22:28.

6th Gear

Status
    that looks pretty normal tbh. you didnt seem to struggle at all removing that oil cap?

the ones (5 or 6) ive come across at work you physically could hardly get the cap off due to the vacuum inside. and when i did get the cap off they damned near cut out. yours is just hunting a bit, which is normal.

why are you worried about it if its running normally with no fault codes?

theres a thread somewhere with a guide and part numbers.....
    Last edited by murran; 13th July 2012 at 22:35.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    that looks pretty normal tbh. you didnt seem to struggle at all removing that oil cap?

the ones (5 or 6) ive come across at work you physically couldnt get the cap off due to the vacuum inside.

why are you worried about it if its running normally with no fault codes?

theres a thread somewhere with a guide and part numbers.....
    I didn't think I was worried but it was the lumpy noise I was worried about if you think it's normal then awesome :-)

6th Gear

Status
    if i was a moderator on here (one of the moderators with half a clue about how a car works..... not sandra in other words!) id piece together all the facts from the various threads started on here about this pcv issue and make a decent sticky about it including your video on how the tfsi engine should react when the cap is removed..... to me yours seems fine in that video.

but it maybe intermittently sticking after boosting. does it always tickover aswell as that?

id be a little pro-active in your case and get it into the dealer...... tell them that you think it idles funny sometimes after using full boost/accelaration...... and you think its to do with the pcv valve unit and you know theres a redesigned unit to replace it. and you want it replacing foc. see what they say??

5th Gear

Status
    It doesn't hunt I think they call it.. I suppose I was worried on the basis that if you put taking off the oil cap into google you get so many conflicting answers normal not normal and I think that's why I was after a definitive answer.. Agree with what you said someone needs to set the record straight.. Thank buddy