New steering module, ESP and power steering lights on.

MxGaza33

Reaction score
After a few problems I finally got my MFSW to work after installing a new steering ECU (8P0 953 549 F). Now it's thrown up the ESP and power steering warning lights along with having no power steering. I've had the power steering problem after changing the wheel before and it was solved by turning the wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right, but this isn't doing it this time! I've took it for a drive to see if they would sort them self out but no luck. I've also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Is there some coding that needs to be done in Vagcom as its a new ECU?

if its new it'll require coding in to tell it what car its fitted to (options wise) and to initialise.
yep, turning fully to the left then all the way to the right and back to center, not too fast and not too slowly, should then set up the power steering.
a short straight ahead (above 12kph (at a guess?)) drive should set up the steering angle at 0 (esp light goes out).

Will I need to code it first before I can get the power steering and ESP back? Also do you have any useful links that explain how to code it properly? Thanks

not really any coding i do at work is usually thru guided functions on the vas 5052.

you could plug the old ecu into the car.... read the coding off that..... then swap in the new one..... and input it manually into the new one? but as youve got a different steering wheel its probably not the same........

couldnt you just have got the old ecu recoded to tell it it now has the multifunction steering wheel option??

If you have changed the steering control module then you will need to code the new module to suit your car and do a basic settings reset on your steering angle sensor and possibly on your abs module. I have had this many times when retro fitting these modules for mfsw and cruise

As Ash mate, it is not just a case of turning wheel to reset, you need to do some basic settings with vcds. PM your email mate and I can send you a guide on how to do this.

Hiya m8 is ther any chance you could email me this guide as iv put new speedo in started car but loads of faults come on so put old speedo bk in and now no power steering any idear m8???

Does anyone have this info ? A would also like some help with exactly the same issue

No I had a Google and also tried to code it using my knowledge but have drawn a blank it accepted the coding for the new wheel, the cruise setup and also the RNS-e, spent a couple of hours looking and faffing before conceeding defeat and asking for help, but thank you very much I look forward to not needing Popeye's arms tomorrow

it shouldn't be too bad, I can normally reset these in about 5 mins. just look out for the error codes from the Steering angle sensor or ABS modules... if it says defective then you might have a different problem.
'no or incorrect' error is straight forward.

Reactions: TF_Si
it shouldn't be too bad, I can normally reset these in about 5 mins. just look out for the error codes from the Steering angle sensor or ABS modules... if it says defective then you might have a different problem.
'no or incorrect' error is straight forward.

Thanks Ash all sorted, thanks for the link was googling steering control module hence not finding anything . I'd bought a new steering control module that was coded for an S3 once it had been coded to my car all was well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Ash mate, it is not just a case of turning wheel to reset, you need to do some basic settings with vcds. PM your email mate and I can send you a guide on how to do this.

Can youPM the guide to this mate?