KW Variant 2 Coilover problems

max69vk

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some info/help from anyone thats got or owned some KW variant 2 coilovers.

Long story short, we've recently fitted a set of these coil-overs to a car but are having some major issues with the front rebound & damping. The setup has been been in storage for the last 4 years after having been fitted to a car that didn't even do 8000 miles in 2 years. When the front dampers were removed they were in perfect condition & stored in a box, with no damage & no leaks. Now here's the problem...

Since re-fitting the setup to the car we've noticed that there is a major difference in feel to each side of the car, on one side the suspension feels nice & soft while the other side feels rock solid, we've adjusted the damping settings on each side but it seems to make no difference what ever way we set them.

Now does anyone know what could be wrong? There's no reason that the shocks shouldn't work properly as nothing has happened to them in storage, so is it possible the springs are meant to be fitted a particular way round? I know the smaller coil goes over the larger spring but is the main spring progressive, should it be fitted a certain way round?

I'm utterly stumped with this now & can't say I'll be happy if it turns out the £1100 setup I bought is knackered for no reason after such low mileage. Any ideas or thought are welcome as I cant find any of paperwork that came with them & I doubt KW are going to be of any help as Im sure they'll say they are out of warranty regardless of the mileage on them :(

I have had V2's in the past and there should be a very noticeable difference between maximum soft and maximum hard on the damper setting. I used to run mine on max soft, but did try the opposite and soon returned them as they were pretty solid on the max hard setting!

Maybe get some pics up of the installation so people can spot any installation issues?

Well we've double checked the fitting which is all ok, the problem looks to be that the dampers just aren't adjusting when they are turned so one is stuck on rock hard & one on soft. No idea how or why though, any ideas if they are serviceable?

Are we talking front or rears here? IIRC the rears need to be adjusted off the car by pushing the damper rod right in/ all the way out (cant remember which), then turned. Just wondered if you were doing it this way?

Thats what I was thinking but the adjusters turned smoothly & as they were perfect when removed I cant see why they would have suddenly broken when in storage. Does any one have a link or a pic to show the the internal working of one of these dampers (like a cross section)?

Finally spoke to someone at KW, very friendly & helpful but the initial response isn't great.

They something has failed internally & will need to be replaced, but while this is possible it's going to cost in the region of £140+vat per side + £100+vat for the inspection alone - So just over £450 for the priviledge of having them working again :(

Personally I just dont think its worth it if there's a chance they'll fail again in such short mileage (only 8k) apparently KW V2's are only guaranteed for 2yrs & mileage doesn't even come into it. So by that logic I could have done a million miles & then claimed for a new damper as long as it wasn't over 24 months old :blink:

Hmm. I guess for £450 you'd get freshly serviced and warranted coilovers which would be far better quality than a new set of £450 coilovers off the shelf. You'll have to weigh up the condition of the bodies and how certain you are of the mileage etc before making a decision I guess.

Did you buy them from someone who you can pursue for selling you a dodgy set of coils, or were they already yours etc?

PS I really don't see how both front coilovers went into the box working and both came out broken, its just so unlikely!?

They are my shocks & have only done 8k from new, apart from the paint coating coming off the coil springs (which they always seem to do) they are mint, no dents or scratches etc. KW are saying it sounds like something has happened to (clog?) the internal valves, which IMO means a manufacturing fault as they are pretty much a sealed non-serviceable item for the likes of you & I.