S3 speaker recommendation

S3child

Reaction score
I have an audi s3 56 plate and want to replace the front speakers but not sure what to go for.

I am going to be running it off my standard head unit which is what is making it difficult to select some speakers.

So far I'm looking at the DLS X-SD62 17cm components. My budget is approx £60-80.

Any help would be much appreciated.

to be honest mate for as long as you have the standard headunit the sound will still be varies of crap!

the output equaliser in the standard Headunits are not that great. I am assuming you dont have bose and if you dont then you would really want to replace the headunit, the front and rear speakers, the sub and amp and also have your rear speakers re-wired to the back of the headunit as it is currently wired into the crappy piece of tin amp that is hiding behind your sub in the passenger side of the boot.

I have a non bose system in mine. I changed the head unit to a Pioneer as soon as i got the car and it sounded alot better. Havent re-wired anything yet though so back speakers are ctill currently amped.

Have thought about changing the speaker set up but not sure if its worth it

Its soo worth it! just remember that you will need to rewire the rear speakers to the headunit and then go about replacing the stock amp and sub.

Definately!!

I wouldnt mind replacing the speakers but not sure how much of a difference it would make? Tell you what though... not too keen at the moment on replacing the stock sub and amp... more due to not wanting to lose the boot space!!

Already asked him a while back about this... must have been a few months ago but was advised Audi decided to change the mouldings on the Sportback which meant theres a beam or something in the way so not able to install a custom one...

have you got aftermarket speakers? Which ones would you recommend?

Ok so Andy Macs sub works, its just there isnt enough space in the sportback to house the amp.but if you have the non bose versions then just put the amp in the drivers side boot wall where the bose one would have been.
I have Bose in mine as per my sig, and i havent bothered to take out the speakers as i would need to rewire all the speakers so to save myself the painful job i am just leaving it running on the Pioneer 8400bt that i have in the car. sounds really good but defo needs the bass upgrade.

as for recommendations there is lots of talk on the ice section on the forum... i have heard good things about the JBL subs and alpine speakers but i cant hep you with the specific ones

the dls are good but power hungry and components only ever sound good if they are amped..

i have the andymac set up.. i love it.. probably a little too much but is there no way of working around this beam or using the opposite side of the boot side wall? would a fibre glass moulded box not suffice...

or may be something like this:
415wvnTlAcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ahh get you now. Yeah i have the non bose system so presuming the sub and amp are both located on the passenger bootwall? And if i get the AndyMac install, the sub will be on the passenger side with teh amp on the drivers?

Im running the Pionner 8200BT. love the head unit... but always thinking I can get more from the speakers! As you said yourself, dont know if i can be bothered with the hassle of changing all the speakers around!

Already asked him a while back about this... must have been a few months ago but was advised Audi decided to change the mouldings on the Sportback which meant theres a beam or something in the way so not able to install a custom one...

have you got aftermarket speakers? Which ones would you recommend?

Sachen do you have a spare tyre in your boot? I've got an inflation kit so looking at tucking that all away and installing a sub where the spare tyre would go, i've got a normal sub in the boot for now. Couple of other people have done on it on here, someone even did it with the spare wheel still installed! :thumbsup::superman:

Ahh get you now. Yeah i have the non bose system so presuming the sub and amp are both located on the passenger bootwall? And if i get the AndyMac install, the sub will be on the passenger side with teh amp on the drivers?

Im running the Pionner 8200BT. love the head unit... but always thinking I can get more from the speakers! As you said yourself, dont know if i can be bothered with the hassle of changing all the speakers around!

your lucky with the non bose setup that all you have to do is swap speakers and only rewire rears. on mine i need to replace all speaker wiring and speakers to get the same as you. PITA!!

believe me once you swap those speakers out you will have a different experience with the noise... fall in love all over again!

the dls are good but power hungry and components only ever sound good if they are amped..

i have the andymac set up.. i love it.. probably a little too much but is there no way of working around this beam or using the opposite side of the boot side wall? would a fibre glass moulded box not suffice...

or may be something like this:
415wvnTlAcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I Have a sportback, took out the subbox, fiberglassed an enclosure and put in a shallow sub (10" Punch P2D2-10) then put a digital amp in the spare battery box.

Works a treat!!

Thanks for the advice guys. So looks like i’m going to hold of on replacing the front speakers for now. Looks like i’m better off replacing the head unit first. I was reluctant to do this as its the sat nav HU with cd changer in the glove compartment. However I have an old pioneer sat at home which i may use – DEH-P9600MP, but not sure how up to date it is. What do you guys think? Use the Pioneer I have or get a new one?
Now when replacing the HU, how important is it to re-wire the rear speakers to the HU? Can i not just leave them wired to the rear amp?

if you are just replacing the headunit you do not need to rewire the rear speakers.
you can get adapters that will make your speakers work as they should with an aftermarket headunit.

you only need to rewire it when you are replacing the sub and amp as the rear speakers are currently wired into that amp.

Yep I do have a spare wheel.... dont fancy taking that out as i travel a lot to and from work so dont want to be stranded incase i get a flat tyre one day!

You reckon its worth just replacing the speakers and leaving the sub/amp as it is?

you could but you will still get crap low end sounds, just go for the andy mac sub if you want to retain the space in your boot and get good sound.