URGENT: Smoke coming from drivers wheel arch

Brido1888

Reaction score
Have only had my 2009 1.9tdi for 4 weeks but tonight when I drove into my driveway smoke started billowing from the front driver side wheel arch, lasted around 20/30 secs after I took key out of the ignition. Wasnt driving fast at all 5mph so surely can't be skidding or brakes burning.

I'm not too familiar with cars and their inner workings so could any tell me what this could be? Should I take the car back to the place I bought it?

what max said, unless your running stupid camber and having some arch clearence issues.

brakes
maybe a caliper sticking

Can you smell anything in the arch area?

Personally if it was me I would have a look to see if you can see anything untoward in the wheel arch area. Clutching at straws if we cant see or know anything.

Should I take the car back to the place I bought it?

ABSOLUTELY : If you bought it from a motor trader you have implied warranty for 6 months (which i think is quite unfair but that's another story!) so the car trader is on a very weak footing if anything goes wrong with the vehicle within this time period, and this little chestnut explains why:

"reversed burden of proof"

Means that for the first six months the consumer need not produce any evidence that a product was inherently faulty at the time of sale. If a consumer is seeking any other remedy the burden of proof remains with him/her.
In such a case, the retailer will either accept there was an inherent fault, and will offer a remedy, or he will dispute that it was inherently flawed. If the latter, when he inspects the product to analyse the cause, he may, for example, point out impact damage or stains that would be consistent with it having been mistreated in such a way as to bring about the fault.
This reversal of the usual burden of proof only applies when the consumer is seeking a repair or replacement. After the first six months the onus of proof is again on the consumer.

If they dont capitulate after a number of written request to fix the car you simply take them to the small claims court and i will put money on any trader getting it sorted before it went that far.

Is your drive on a hill? was you slipping the clutch? You can all laugh at me but clutches smoke if slipping a lot? (is gearbox located on the driver side?)

Are you sure its not steam coming off the brake discs/calipers etc from all the wet weather?

After driving it again this morning without any smoke, I reckon this is what had happened, by jeez there was a lot of steam...