JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Getting a De-DPF on my TDi

Right I'm getting a de DPF fitted in the next few weeks but before I do this I've got a few questions I would like to ask you guys..

1. The catalytic converter will not be taken off with this upgrade will it?
    2. Original clutch will not need to be upgraded straight away?

Also the reason for doing this is due to my DPF light coming on for the first time since owning the car and after it had done its recirculation the car doesn't pull any where near as well as before.. So I'm thinking it will be a problem with the DPF.. Is this correct or could it be something else?

Thought I would ask you guys since I'm a pretty new owner of my 2.0 tdi pd 170 and some of you guys will be a lot more experienced than I am..

Thanks in advance guys

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Any advice guys

Different Gear

Status
    How old is it and how many miles has it done?

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Theyll just "gut" the DPF cannister at the back and weld it back up.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Theyll just "gut" the DPF cannister at the back and weld it back up.
    Im going for the jbs package with the dog bone bush etc.. They fit a new pipe in place gives decent gains check it out. Not cheap but cheap compared to new DPF

And she's done 73k on an 08 reg.

Do you think it might need an egr clean out?

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Not 100% sure but i think MOT will soon be doing a visual check for the DPF filter housing. So if the jbs package removes this then...it could be a painful experience each year swapping exhausts around, Else it will fail, i think!

Could be wrong, and probably am.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Not 100% sure but i think MOT will soon be doing a visual check for the DPF filter housing. So if the jbs package removes this then...it could be a painful experience each year swapping exhausts around, Else it will fail, i think!

Could be wrong, and probably am.
    Your not wrong. What you've said is almost correct. 'Possible' MOT reg changes could result in the DPF system having a visual examination so if the car has a replacement pipe it will fail as the DPF cannister is somewhat larger and beefier than the pipe and is blatantly obvious when its been removed completely. Now some companies overcome this by cutting open the cannister, removing the internals of the DPF and welding the cannister back so IF these new regulations are introduced then your cannister is in fact still fitted. Obviously the car has to remapped to compensate for the DPF delete. I personally would go for the internals removed as way too much hassle to swap everything around.....and the DPF isnt exactly the easiest of things to get to.

Neutral

Status
    right cheers guys before i search the internet have any of you guys had this cannister gutting and are you pleased wit the results.. if so where did you guys get the job completed?

again tahnks guys

6th Gear

Status
    have you had the fault codes read to see whats actually wrong with it first?
    the dpf pressure sensor (g450) goes faulty electrically and mechanically..... and dealers have been changing these under an extended warrenty for dpf faults......
    new ones need adapting after fitting.
    the g450 is only £45 if you know a good independant that could adapt it too. and you would rather pay for it.
    for example, at our place; diagnostic read (inc half hour labour fault finding time) £39, new sensor £45. another half hour fitting £30? plus vat could have it fixed well under £200.

only thing else id say is dont go driving it much if you plan to look into getting it working again, as with the engine light on i dont know if its able to do the normal re-gen. in normal use.
    you could end up with the soot overloading it to the point where you can't do a forced re-gen via the diagnostics.... (you can get round this by manually reseting the soot loading figure and doing a forced re-gen anyway but theres a risk of fire!)
    Last edited by murran; 9th July 2012 at 09:04.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm looking to have mine deleted in my 07 170 tdi with 42k miles.

As I'm worried the 10 minute trip to work in the morning only gets the negine temp to 75 degreess and will lead to a blocked DPF.

Has anyone noticed a considerable mpg improvement after deletion?

4th Gear

Status
    Murran has hit the nail on the head with this with regards to the DPF sensor, the other thing you havent mentioned is whether you've had the injectors swapped? In both cases the ECU software must be updated to accomadate both modifications or it screws the regen cycles up massively.

If you do decide to go doen the DPF route it may be worth trying to source a known faulty DPF & having that gutted instead of the one which is fitted & is potentially still ok, this then gives you the option of reverting the car to standard if you ever decided to sell it or at least sell the DPF on 2nd hand.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

One further point to be aware of if you are thinking about removing the DPF. If you ever think of taking your car to Germany, to say visit the Ring then, at the moment, unless you have a DPF fitted you will not be allowed to take your car into most German towns and cities. I also think it will not be too long before you are not allowed to take it in to Germany at all.

You have apply for an emissions disc from the German authorites to allow you to enter most towns and cities and if you do enter one without the appropiate disc you can be subject to quite a heavy fine. This law applies to visiting foreign cars as well as German registered cars. I'm also sure this will happen in most European countries in the not too distant future. The UK is way behind on this issue.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

4th Gear

Status
    Hi,

we've done a few forums members TDI's DPF delete. There is a gain in MPG for sure. We also recommend EGR delete at the same time. We can do either canister gutting or pipe, but don't recommend the pipe. We can do full drive in drive out, tou won't be dissapointed.

We offer a full money back guarantee. Please be careful who you chose for DPF delete, the VAST majority of people do it by masking fault codes/MIL light. This is not the way to do it, as it will still try and regen.

Thanks, Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    have you had the fault codes read to see whats actually wrong with it first?
    the dpf pressure sensor (g450) goes faulty electrically and mechanically..... and dealers have been changing these under an extended warrenty for dpf faults......
    new ones need adapting after fitting.
    the g450 is only £45 if you know a good independant that could adapt it too. and you would rather pay for it.
    for example, at our place; diagnostic read (inc half hour labour fault finding time) £39, new sensor £45. another half hour fitting £30? plus vat could have it fixed well under £200.

only thing else id say is dont go driving it much if you plan to look into getting it working again, as with the engine light on i dont know if its able to do the normal re-gen. in normal use.
    you could end up with the soot overloading it to the point where you can't do a forced re-gen via the diagnostics.... (you can get round this by manually reseting the soot loading figure and doing a forced re-gen anyway but theres a risk of fire!)
    cheers fpr the info, at the moment the light is not on for dpf and when it did come on i went on the motorway and the light went off after the regen... but after this regen it just seemed quite sluggish day by day.. by no means is it slow but it hasnt got the same pulling poweras before. this is why i thought the dpf may be slightly clogged still but then again if it was slightly clogged the dpf light would come on for a regen, this is why i am now thinking of removing the egr and cleaning it all.

and it has just recently had the injector change done so could this be the problem.. if so i will go back into audi and discuss it with them.

4th Gear

Status
    Good luck with Audi..

We've had to refo a few now that have had injector recalls. The injector clearances are never set properly. If you have VCDS check what calues you are seeing in block 13.

Rick

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    Good luck with Audi..

We've had to refo a few now that have had injector recalls. The injector clearances are never set properly. If you have VCDS check what calues you are seeing in block 13.

Rick
    I had my injectors and loom changed last November, didn't notice any difference.

I have VCDS and I'l' chekc those values when I get home and post.

If the clearances are off is it a big job to correct?

thanks

4th Gear

Status
    Not huge, just time consuming and fiddly. I get the impression a lot of dealers are just throwing them in as quickly as possible, they're not charging an hourly rate..

Rick

Old-Boy-Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon170TDI View Post
    right cheers guys before i search the internet have any of you guys had this cannister gutting and are you pleased wit the results.. if so where did you guys get the job completed?

again tahnks guys
    Rick knows his stuff Simon. I had mine done (DPF and remap at ECU Remapping, Performance Engine Tuning, R-tech) car is great. Definitely have the can emptied and replaced. Don't do a pipe.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    Good luck with Audi..

Rick

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Above are my results from VCDS

How do these results look?

thanks

Paul