Petrol diesel got mixed up help please.

H88

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just come back from petrol station and I did a really stupid thing today. Firstly I fill up 0.39 Litres of petrol into a diesel car by mistake and as soon as I realized it was petrol I stop straight away. I then filled up with full tank of diesel and hopefully that will help to mix up the petrol. The question is will this damage my engine or give me some problem later on?What should I do as I am very worried about this.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Don't worry mate, diesel's can run on a 50-50% mix without too much bother, they will only start harder and have poor performance but they will be ok ! I always fill my diesel with 5L of petrol to a full tank in winter, stop's it from gelling in cold weather...

OK thanks mate,I was so worried as I have 250 miles trip on motorway in the next few days.I don't really want any problem with it while I am far away from home :))

ye will be fine I've put 20£ petrol in my van then realised so I just filled it up with diesel, it ran a little bit rough but in the end it was fine. it's the other way round that it becomes a bigger problem.

Will not do no harm at all.

The 0.39L that you put in will prob do more good than harm - it will give your system a little clean out.

Thats great,I would sleep well tonight without having to worry about it lol.

Be fine, problem is if you had a petrol car and put diesel in it then = not so good

Be fine, problem is if you had a petrol car and put diesel in it then = not so good

In that it wouldn't start. Petrol in a modern high pressure diesel......Very bad.

The OP should be ok as its a pretty limited amount, but 50/50 mix as above . rather you than I .

K

it'll be fine. as petrol tends to float on top of diesel...... just run the tank down to half then refill it.

Reactions: IceHanger
Was in a mates passat 2.0tdi last week, he put €20 worth of petrol in(his first diesel car), engine cut out 500 metres from the station.

Googled the problem and Filled up with the wrong fuel..? Petrol in Diesel or Diesel in Petrol We Repair On Site 24/7 Safe - Reliable - Professional - Fast came up.

What a relief! Ray was on the spot in 30 minutes, all the fuel was flushed out via refill port and fuel pump.

A few worrying attempts to start the engine and then it fired no problem!

Ray mentioned to monitor how it would start from cold the next day and it apparently started like always.

What a relief!

But could some damage come up down the line?

Are there any fuel treatments of fuel system lubricants that could be added?

I've read that some people have added some two stroke oil?

thanks

My full tank is done and the car is fine. However I have refilled with full tank V-power mix with redex cleaning liquid. Maybe my was just a little bit so its fine for now :))

My full tank is done and the car is fine. However I have refilled with full tank V-power mix with redex cleaning liquid. Maybe my was just a little bit so its fine for now :))

Did you fill a diesel with petrol?