DRL out on drivers side, how the hell do you replace it???

robapp1985

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

Bit of help required here if possible, just aquired my 59 plate A3 black edition in April and just yesterday while driving along the dash kindly warns me that I have a DRL and side light out (both the same thing on the black editions as you'll know) on the drivers side. One look under the bonnet and I was like, How the hell do you change it???:uhm:

Where do I aquire a replacement DRL from and will it need to be recoded???

There's probably a thread on here about this somwhere but can't find it, any help would be very much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Rob

Thanks Sandra but that isn't really helping me, I can't view the pictures and also the thread is explaining how to change the lights on the A3 model previous to my 59 plate black edition.

Rob

If you have halogen headlights look on page 236 of your manual.

If you have led running lights you're in for a fun time ;)

Last edited:
314eeb3b.jpg

d1d9c3ce.jpg

38704a73.jpg

Mate i think your in for an expensive do. Im preety sure the lights are sealed so your looking at new headlamp. U can use your old xenon bulb and ignitor (ballast) so that will save few quid. But I wouldnt like to imagine price from audi. Try ebay or TPS, It may be worth it to buy a set incase other one goes. U shouldnt need coding as the cars programmed like that from factory so should be plug and play.

Someone may correct me on all of the above but thats my 2 pence worth

Good luck

Thanks ashaudia3, just managed to get the headlight cluster out after removing a million screws, half the wheel arch and the bumper, freaking nightmare!! Looking at it, it's like you say, the lights are sealed, there doesn't seem to be a way of replacing the LED's!!!
Jesus christ, I hear they can cost 700 quid plus from Audi for a new headlight!!

One major thing though, I had the car remapped from 140bhp to 180bhp on thursday, is there a chance that while the car was hooked up to the diagnostics the light may have canceled out? Clutching at straws here but I ain't spending 700 big ones easily on this one!!!

Rob

Mileage is just shy of 29k but car is still under warranty till October, looks like a call to Audi Dealership then. I don't supose vagcom would shed any light on the problem???

Should be easy enough to open up headlight unit with a hot air gun. Then track down the fault to replace led or it's driver pcb. Take pics so we can all see the issues involved.

Mileage is just shy of 29k but car is still under warranty till October, looks like a call to Audi Dealership then. I don't supose vagcom would shed any light on the problem???

How long should LED lights last for in theory???

There's 7 indiviual LED's in the DRL, all of them are out on the drivers side, passenger side DRL is working fine. Just seems a bit odd to me that all of them are out on that side or do they work like Christmas tree lights, if one bulb is faulty the whole lot don't work??

How long should LED lights last for in theory???

Years I always thought and vcds would only show a bulb out error for both sides.

Call Audi and see they shouldn't be going as early as this and I always thought they were on their own circuit board and if one goes they all do.

I'll ring Carlisle Audi in the morning and see how I get on, the car isn't even 3 years old yet and it's only done 29k. The light also acts as the side light so riding about in the hours or darkness with it is in theory illegal. Though if I did get pulled up by the feds I'd tell them, you try changing a light in an Audi A3 with LED DRL's!!!

Sorry mate but why the hell have you tried to take it to bits when it's under warranty ?????!!!!!!

Just take it back and tell them to fix it and lend you a car whilst they are doing it.

And just hope they don't refuse on the basis that you have done some damage by trying it yourself !

I didn't actually think about the warranty until I realised how old the car was......yes I know, I'm a muppet!!

No damage done though, I wasn't going to operate on 16k's worth of motor without taking care!!

I'm ringing the dealer tomorrow and I shall report back