Thread: Drilled, Grooved, or both??

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel

Drilled, Grooved, or both??

Hi Guys,

I am going to be fitting some bigger brakes to my car to accompany the 19's i will be fitting so you cannot see the puny brakes that are there right now.

As i am going to go ahead with this i also want to have the discs looking nice. I currently have Grooved Brembo discs (288mm) on mine like these:

Now on the new set which i will be fitting the S3, R32 type discs (345mm) do i get standard, drilled, grooved or both? I have heard that the drilled dont do much for the brakes but there are loads of them on ebay.

Standard:

I've seen these EBC grooved ones that dont look too bad:

then there are the mixed drilled and grooved ones:

Also is there a particular brand people prefer?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    just go for grooved, drilled are pointless unless your going to be using them for track and will be cleaning out the holes as they will just get blocked up with dust and go solid anyway. also drilled ones are more prone to cracking

Rarely neutral

Status
    Have a word with DaveB1970.

He's the brake man.

My own choice would be AP or similar,but he can get you some excellent braking at good prices.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

is he on the forum? contact details?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

thanks, i have emailed the Brake God!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

No reply from Dave

anyone else help me with this one?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    Stick with grooved discs. EBC Ultimax grooved discs are very good and so are the Black Diamond grooved discs.

When i was in the 8L section with my S3, the best standard replacement was Black Diamond grooved discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Worth a think matey.
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Love my drilled AP rotors

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    Drilled are more likely to crack, and more "extreme" than just grooved. I don't see the point in having both though, must be a purely aesthetic thing? I only have drilled because the set I bought came like that... and I'm hardcore

Also, Ash, Dave's a busy guy. Took a fair bit more than 4 days to get my carriers ready, but they were well worth the wait.
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Thing is with Dave, you have no idea how busy he is, spoke to him the other night and he said his backlog atm is unreal

6+1 Gears

Status
    My choice: Tarox F2000 + Ferodo DS2500
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Anyone know where to get DS2500's from? Can seem to find any for my S3 (want both front and rear).
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

1st gear

Status
    Search for user badger5 he sells them, he's normally on the 8L section.
    09 white black edition a3 2.0 tdi 😃
    99 silver apy s3 - revo stage 2 mapped - relentless downpipe + sports cat - cat back milltek - fmic - piper x panel filter - silicone tip - forge 007 - vmaxx coilys - andy mac stealth sub - wilwood 4pots and r32 discs - h &r spacers - bbs ch wheels or std gunmetal grey alloys

5th Gear

Status
    I've had black diamond groved discs on a less powerful car and they were noisy and acted like a cheese grater to the pads!

I also ran Porsche big reds on both my 8L S3's over 10 years. They had cast in holes, apparently to prevent cracking But they still crack. Good brakes , but they were expensive to install and I spent well in excess of double the cost maintaining them over 75k miles.

With benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. I can live without the fancy bling brakes.

I am just glad the my current 8P S3 has decent sized brakes standard to start with.
    Audi RS3

2nd Gear

Status
    Unless you track the car, stick with std disks and fit Ferrodo DS2500 pads.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

ahh well im not going to be tracking the car but i defo want a nicer look to the discs rather than the plain ones.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

6+1 Gears

Status
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

oh nice! what brakes have you got there hiding behind the 17s? i still have those alloys on mine and was wondering what i can get away with
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

S3 Owner

Status
    I emailed dave about 3 weeks ago and didnt get a reply Really wanting a set of the J hooked brakes i seen he does.. Anyone know of anywhere else that does them?

6+1 Gears

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    oh nice! what brakes have you got there hiding behind the 17s? i still have those alloys on mine and was wondering what i can get away with
    S3/R32/Cupra - 345mm

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

yh thats what i was looking at, those tarox discs are like £350!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

6+1 Gears

Status
    Yep! But they worth the money. They look good, they work great!