Drilled, Grooved, or both??

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am going to be fitting some bigger brakes to my car to accompany the 19's i will be fitting so you cannot see the puny brakes that are there right now.

As i am going to go ahead with this i also want to have the discs looking nice. I currently have Grooved Brembo discs (288mm) on mine like these:

$%28KGrHqVHJBEE8eyPTdpdBPOUgBV9u%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Now on the new set which i will be fitting the S3, R32 type discs (345mm) do i get standard, drilled, grooved or both? I have heard that the drilled dont do much for the brakes but there are loads of them on ebay.

Standard:

$%28KGrHqF,%21pcE-w%21hEE0tBP1zycoBQ%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

I've seen these EBC grooved ones that dont look too bad:

%21CCvrr7wCWk%7E$%28KGrHqF,%21iUE0HBJ3dk0BNMKgVBbHw%7E%7E0_1.JPG

then there are the mixed drilled and grooved ones:

$%28KGrHqF,%21iME8Lp%28bj%21fBPo0fmWR%21w%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Also is there a particular brand people prefer?

just go for grooved, drilled are pointless unless your going to be using them for track and will be cleaning out the holes as they will just get blocked up with dust and go solid anyway. also drilled ones are more prone to cracking :)

Have a word with DaveB1970.

He's the brake man.

My own choice would be AP or similar,but he can get you some excellent braking at good prices.

Stick with grooved discs. EBC Ultimax grooved discs are very good and so are the Black Diamond grooved discs.

When i was in the 8L section with my S3, the best standard replacement was Black Diamond grooved discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Worth a think matey.

Drilled are more likely to crack, and more "extreme" than just grooved. I don't see the point in having both though, must be a purely aesthetic thing? I only have drilled because the set I bought came like that... and I'm hardcore :jester:

Also, Ash, Dave's a busy guy. Took a fair bit more than 4 days to get my carriers ready, but they were well worth the wait.

Anyone know where to get DS2500's from? Can seem to find any for my S3 (want both front and rear).

Search for user badger5 he sells them, he's normally on the 8L section.

I've had black diamond groved discs on a less powerful car and they were noisy and acted like a cheese grater to the pads!

I also ran Porsche big reds on both my 8L S3's over 10 years. They had cast in holes, apparently to prevent cracking But they still crack. Good brakes , but they were expensive to install and I spent well in excess of double the cost maintaining them over 75k miles.

With benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. I can live without the fancy bling brakes.

I am just glad the my current 8P S3 has decent sized brakes standard to start with.

oh nice! what brakes have you got there hiding behind the 17s? i still have those alloys on mine and was wondering what i can get away with

I emailed dave about 3 weeks ago and didnt get a reply :( Really wanting a set of the J hooked brakes i seen he does.. Anyone know of anywhere else that does them?