Should I swap my 19 inch Sportlines for OE BE Rotor Alloys ???

Shadowman

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering changing the wheels on my 2012 S3 8P BE Sportback back from the 19 inch Sportlines I currently have to the OE 18 inch Black Edition Rotors......what do you guys reckon' ?

My issue is that i'm never going to lower the car and to my mind you don't gain the full benefit of the larger wheel look unless you lower it......so I am thinking to just return to the OE wheels and tyres, but i'm still struggling with it and would appreciate comments for either keeping them or making the change ?

The Speedlines ( 19x8.5 ET48 so slot straight on the S3 without issue ) are as new, and were refurbed by Nath six months ago, when new Goodyear assymetric 2's ( 225/35/19's ) were fitted as well so I would need to swap for a set of BE Rotor's in the same immaculate condition with quality tyres, so if anyone is interested in a straight swap then that may make my mind up, but i'm really in two minds here.......what do you think ???

let's have some pictures of these sportlines! :)

You moved to Malvern yet??

Yep, moved three weeks ago now........sitting in rented between Malvern and Ledbury and looking for gainful employment when not dodging all the crud on the roads round here :wtf:

Pics below.....

f8006ff7.jpg

7291cc6c.jpg

it's bad round here for crud!! it's the countryside isn't it! I started washing mine yesterday. it rained. gave up.

They keep re surfacing the roads too. My Ibis car and new tar roads isn't cool. not at all. clay bar is gonna have to come out now I think
:(

Nice wheels, rotors look more modern though. I say rotors.

love them speedlines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't change them for the 18 rotors!
please!

Yep, moved three weeks ago now........sitting in rented between Malvern and Ledbury and looking for gainful employment when not dodging all the crud on the roads round here :wtf:

Pics below.....

f8006ff7.jpg

Is that Kingsway/American Golf Melbourn, Royston in the background by any chance?

It is indeed.....used to live just north of Cambridge before I came across to the land of the sheep !!

Thought so, would recognise that building anywhere. On another note I would stick with your existing Speedline's as everyone seems to be jumping on the rotor band wagon (yes they do look good but so do the Speedlines) and the fact they are 19's means that they are slightly different as most people who have Speedlines seem to have them in 18's. Obviously other factors may come into play such as handling etc (not sure if 19's make handling worse if its not lowered) and also probably the most important factor:
What your personal preference is.

think of the cleaning point of view mate! these rotors are super easy! those speedlines are fiddly!

Now you can see why i'm having trouble deciding !!

I love the look of the Speedlines, and with more and more BE's on the road, the Rotor's are everywhere these days and I like my cars to look that little bit different to everyone elses..........maybe the best option is just to keep the Speedlines and get the Eiback Pro Kit front springs to correct the speedboat front end look but not ruin the ride ??? AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHH ......I DON'T KNOW !!!!!! :jump:

Rotor's all day long for me.. just wish Audi would stop putting them on everything!

Reactions: A3_Black_Edition
19" Speedlines > 18" rotors everytime

I dunno, there's something about the rotors which just doesn't flick my bean. Those 20s do look stunning on n8s though

Keep the Speedlines... The rotors look good on the A4, A5 and A6 but on the A3 they aren't dished enough and look really flat.

whats going on next lad ?
i think the 20" look spot on :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Rotors, 100%

Although I nearly put Speedlines on my last S3 before Rotors came about.
The A3 has been around a while and I reckon these Rotors freshen everything up a treat IMO but remain OEM..

Easy to clean.
Easy to curb...

Easy on the eye:yes:

Rotors only in 19's.
The 18" rotors (as said above) aren't concave enough for the 8P.

If you're not going to go 19" Rotors, then drop the S3 a little with the Speedlines on.
I have a photo of your car with the Speedlines saved on my computer, looks great!

I have the same dilemma. Looking at swapping over my 19" BBS CK's for a brand new set of 18" rotors. Had a few problems with the BBS wheels and Im now kinda fed up trying to keep them clean on the crappy Scottish country roads. And the rears are rubbing and thats without lowering. Im gonna put some pics up hopefully today when I swap them over and then see what I prefer.

mmmmmmm I love CK's. think they're the wheels on "fuzion's" sprint blue car? could be wrong. its early! but they look pretty damn nice.

Rotors get my vote although I am a fan of the speedlines too. As Paul AR said the rotors give the car a bit of a facelift.

N8's car looks fab on the 20" but not sure how many of us could live with them on a daily basis. I have the 18 rotors on mine and love em to bits, perfect fit, no rubbing issues (obviously) and premium tyres are very affordable.

Either way your car looks great so a tough decision, good luck with that :)

I like the rotors but do think they look better when they are larger than 18" mine just looked to small so went to 19's....i'd get it lowered and clean/seal the speedlines to aid cleaning

I have the same dilemma. Looking at swapping over my 19" BBS CK's for a brand new set of 18" rotors. Had a few problems with the BBS wheels and Im now kinda fed up trying to keep them clean on the crappy Scottish country roads. And the rears are rubbing and thats without lowering. Im gonna put some pics up hopefully today when I swap them over and then see what I prefer.

Another brodster wheel deal im sniffing out :) might be having another trip to the Audi show room for another car :) (not for me, the old mans thinking of getting a Q7)

OK, decision made ( sort of !! ) so the Speedlines are going and are sitting in the Classifieds section.....i'll post pics of the new wheels when they arrive !!