Lighting up the dark - improving road safety with intelligent lighting

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've just been reading a very interesting article published by Audi about the latest developments in car lighting.

I have just spent 2 weeks driving in Austria where all vehicles now drive with the headlights on at all times.

The article can be found at car.kak.net

Yes for the very reasons given in the article. Some of the same applies in Austria where, because of the high mountains you can spend a lot of time in and out of the shadows. This I believe is why the Austrain government has run the campaign to get all drivers to drive with their lights on during the day.

I always drive with my headlights on, Just like motorcycles.

In this country haveing yourheadlights on means you are in a rush get out of my way please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But does cause road rage from other motorists as they think motorists who drive with headlights on during the day are nutters on a mission.....
mmmmm maybe they are right.

Well, it's much easier to spot a car with headlights on. It provides safety at least.

Thats why I rate the auto headlights. They work just right in tunnels, underpasses, treelined roads etc.

In the Nordics etc, isn't it just cr##py side lights which are on all the time? Like volvos etc.

Auto headlights are the dogs, my mate was in the car last friday ans was taking the pee
Auto wipers, auto lights, aut dipping rear view mirror and DSG so effectively an auto... I did poijt out that I still have to steer the thing!

I must say the auto headlights were great on my drive through Germany. Part of the route I use is a relatively new autobahn that has quite a lot of tunnels and unlike the UK everyone puts their headlights on when going through tunnels. It was nice to sit back and concentrate on the driving and let the lights look after themselves. As there is generally a speed limit of 50 mph through the tunnels I set the cruise control to 50 and just clicked the lever as I approched the tunnel and went back up to about 120mph after the tunnel by pressing the accelerator. A few years ago I got stopped by a police motorcycle patrol in Austria for going to fast in a tunnel. Mind you when I worked out how much the on-the-spot fine was I couldn't believe it - about £10.