Garnet S-Line - Messiahs TDi 170

SCFC_Messiah

Reaction score
Thought I'd start my own small scale build thread and let you guys see what I've been up to

Here's the car when I bought it. It's a 56 plate 3 door S-Line in Garnet Red. It was on 98K so fairly high miles for it's age, but that was reflected in the price I paid so no complaints

97215448.jpg

40098053.jpg

74349742.jpg

98837081.jpg

Initially I was happy with the car as standard, but after spending a few days on here I saw how cool the cars were and decided I needed to get in on the action myself. The list of mods started small, but soon kept growing....

My first 'major' mod was to fit a Black FK S3 style front grille. I definitely wanted an S3 style grille, but wasn't sure how all black would look against garnet red. I knocked out this photoshop (based on Smoothies brilliant red A3) to give me an idea of how it would look. I was happy enough, and given the fact you can pick these grilles up for as low as £20 brand new from the FK website, it was a no brainer. I was gonna give it a go

Photoshop:
11151489.jpg

My new grille: (pictures aren't great)
83765392.jpg

69293781.jpg

19018558.jpg

The S-Line badge doesn't fit this grille so I had to grind it down to the right size and araldite it in place. I was surprised how this small badge made such a big difference to the overall look of the grille

62877973.jpg

Next up was a Stage 1 DNA Remap and DPF Delete

As you can tell from the scans of the printout below, it's a fairly smooth map which I was happy with but unfortunately I didn't get the gains I was hoping for. I hoped the map would take me up and around the 200bhp mark, but sadly it peaked at 188bhp. The tuner told me that through the mid rev range (3-4.5K) the car was offering the performance he'd expect from this engine.... But for reasons still unknown it tails off in the higher rev range. I haven't got around to investigating why (definitely no boost leaks) and not sure if I ever will. The car has plenty of power where I need it and I never redline it so it's not something I've noticed too much. Most importantly the tuner has a good local reputation for only supplying maps to cars he believes are in capable enough of a condition to handle them. He assured me that the lack of power in the higher rev range wasn't something to worry about, so that was good enough for me

65414626.jpg

99131441.jpg

Then time for MY11 rear lights and an anthracite powder coat on my 18" S-Line alloys

I went for anthracite because I wanted to try and tie in with the black front grille, maybe starting a little 'dark' theme type thing. The alloys have a real nice metallic finish which doesn't come out in the pictures

23198582.jpg

55717429.jpg

34778857.jpg

MY11 rears:
74604281.jpg

33446450.jpg

61294795.jpg

Then today I fitted the most recent addition. 50mm H&R lowering springs, with 12mm Eibach spacers on rear and 10mm Eibach spacers on the front (haven't fitted the front spacers yet as I haven't got the right length bolts). I was a little worried that the springs wouldn't lower the car as much as I'd hoped, but now they've been fitted I must be honest and say I'm happy with them. The car looks much more planted than it did before. It's still not particularly low, but looks 'just right' in my opinion

Before:
83765392.jpg

After:
30530642.jpg

Before:
86932983.jpg

After: (these are the fronts, so need to settle a few more mm yet.... in fact, the drop looks much bigger in person than in this pic for some reason)
85152592.jpg

Some more 'after' shots of the car:

42686497.jpg

68916288.jpg

62320791.jpg

62272132.jpg

65944324.jpg

Interestingly here's a photoshop I made a few months back of how I wanted the car to look:

75463776.jpg

And this is the car now. I was really surprised how close I came to achieving what I wanted:

47933894.jpg

Last edited:
So that's where I am at the moment! The car is booked into the body shop next week to fit S3 skirts and rear valance. Can't wait for that, because I think it'll change the look of the car more than any of the mods I've done yet

To Do
S3 Skirts
S3 Valance
De-Wiper Rear (the motor is knackered anyway, so might as well)
De-Badge Rear
Lamin-X Headlights (just a light 6% tint)
S3 Pedals
Pressed Plates
LED/Bright White bulbs for interior and exterior

Just like I was unsure about the black grille on the garnet red, I'm also unsure about Lamin-X headlights on this colour too. But I think it'll tie the car in better with the black grille, which is why I'm going for it. Here's an animated GIF I made to see what it may look like (it flips between 'with' Lamin-X to 'without' Lamin-X every few seconds)

33456600.gif

20297752.gif

75877159.gif

Anyway, cheers for looking guys. Opinions welcome :)

Last edited:
I like it, your mods are subtle but make a difference, keep it up :)

Nice mods mate, looking real good. Nice photoshopping skills as well. The flashing headlights, scared me for a second lol. I thought I was seeing things, then I read the GIF part.

scared me to lol, i think you should go for the lamin x. car is looking good and you still need to let the spring settle give it a couple of days.

Would love to see this with a face lifted front end. The colour is lovely. :)

Good post, got all reccomended mods down to a tee. Now lets see a few 'unique' mods :p

Do you scrub the insides of the tyres away with it being lowered?

Nice colour, nice car!

Thanks everyone. Surprised to see the colour of the car so popular! I took the pictures on my phone and the colours have come out quite flat (mainly due to the glare of the sun on the lens I think)..... I'll have to take some better pictures with a better camera once she's back from the bodyshop

Would love to see this with a face lifted front end. The colour is lovely. :)

I love the facelifted front end, but I don't see this happening. The whole front end is being resprayed next week when it's at the bodyshop (it has been sprayed once before - probably to cover stone chips - and isn't the best of jobs).... So I can't see myself facelifting the front end too. I'll just wait til I have an 8P3 which I hope will be my next car :)

Good post, got all reccomended mods down to a tee. Now lets see a few 'unique' mods :p

Ye I've been giving this some thought but can't think of much more to do. Any suggestions?

Do you scrub the insides of the tyres away with it being lowered?

I've only briefly driven it since lowering it and not with people in the back, so not totally sure yet. There seems to be plenty of clearance though and the H&R springs are fairly stiff so I don't see it being a problem. I think the worst I'll need to do is remove the arch screw from the rear

This shade of red must be rare but looks really nice with the black grill

Bit of a bump. Fitted the S3 skirts and rear valance about 5 months ago but haven't done anything else since. Looking to finish up now with Lamin X, S3 pedals, rear de-wiper, pressed plates and white lights

Looking for help and advice on the bulb front. What are the best bulbs to get for a brighter whiter look? I'm after head lights, side lights and fog lights. Also LED rear plate lights - so if somebody could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful (struggling to find what I want with the search function)

Thanks all

Actually, I will get the LED side lights and plate lights from T8ups

So all I'm looking for are the best dipped, main beam and fog light bulbs that give a whiter effect

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anybody is interested, but here's some pics all the same :laugh:

Quite disappointed with most of them - not sure if it was the lighting or whether I had the wrong settings on the camera, but it really didn't pick up the metallic shine in the paintwork. The car was glowing after I gave her a polish.... but it didn't translate into the pictures unfortunately

Anyway;

78814676.jpg

Gunmetal alloy with chavtastic red callys
85397232.jpg

Pressed plates from Juicy Jen. Awesome product with fast delivery (plug!)
73036169.jpg

S3 Valance (soon to be satin black to match the front grilles) and new twin tail pipes (backbox delete)
70698298.jpg

67440636.jpg

S3 Skirts
25119006z.jpg

99553110.jpg

69821609.jpg

97024064.jpg

LaminX'd head lights and fogs ('Tint' which is their lightest shade).... Quality product!
16258260.jpg

38535698.jpg

A few other mods that aren't pictured;

- S3 pedals
- Ultra white dipped, full and fog bulbs
- LED side and rear plate lights
- Silver coated indicators
- LED interior lights through out
- Red ambient lights fitted to the dome light

Cheers mate. Ye I was surprised myself when I saw the pictures at the start of the thread. Didn't realise quite how much it'd changed

Knocked this Photoshop up earlier.... What it should look like with the S3 front end

s3bm.jpg

Skills! But you don't have have bi-xenon :p. You getting the wing mirrors as well?

I think the s-line front goes really well with the S3 skirts and rear. Bagsy your front bumper if you do decide to facelift to S3 front :blush:

The facelift is going ahead, the bumper is sitting in my garage waiting for the damn bodyshop! Cheers for the offer but another poster claimed the SLine bumper earlier today

Skills! But you don't have have bi-xenon :p. You getting the wing mirrors as well?

Minor detail :p (I didn't even notice).... Not sure on wing mirrors. Felt doing them black would be overkill on the red/black theme.... What you think?

Looking really good mate!

If I'm honest I wasn't sure on the colour at the start of the thread, but seeing the car with the skirts and rear diffuser it looks real good! I'd get your S3 front sorted then xenon's and it will look the dogs.

The colours a funny one, I've never been able to photograph it. It looks like a colour a grandpa would buy in most pictures :haha: But I'm happy with it in the flesh, it's more metallic looking and tends to get good reactions

Definitely won't be doing the Xenons, helluva lot of money for what they offer imo

Last edited:
No I think the colour looks good with the black and grey details. What's on the cards after the S3 bumper?

Saving! I've spent way too much already :blush: Whilst the bumper is fitted the bodyshop will be spraying the grey valance a satin black to tie in with the front grilles (not totally sure this is a good choice, but I'm not happy with the grey) and I'll be de-chroming the front and back rings. Thinking of doing them a similar shade of grey as the alloys (maybe a bit lighter), but in a satin finish rather than gloss

Any mods in the future will be minor touches on the interior I think

Alright mate. Really liking what you've done to your A3. I have pretty much the same car on a 57 plate. Mines standard at the minute aside from optional 18 inch speedlines. You don't see many garnet red ones, but everyone always compliments the colour. Was in two minds about doing anything to the car, but after seeing the results on yours I may reconsider.

Thanks buddy. If you don't want to go too far with it, just get some lowering springs and MY11 rear lights, both make a nice difference :thumbsup:

Looking really good mate! Agreed with what was said earlier, wasn't sure about the colour at first but with the skirts and valance it looks great. Excited about seeing it with the S3 front end! Pleaseeee leave the rings chrome! Looks much better IMO :yes:

Car lovely mate good work, Does the s3 valance fit onto the s line bumper or did you have too change the bumper aswell?

Looking really good mate! Agreed with what was said earlier, wasn't sure about the colour at first but with the skirts and valance it looks great. Excited about seeing it with the S3 front end! Pleaseeee leave the rings chrome! Looks much better IMO :yes:

Gonna get the my spare set of rings sprayed in satin grey and offer it up to the car. If I don't like it, the chrome rings will stay on. Car is booked into the bodyshop on May 7th for the S3 bumper, pics will follow :)

Car lovely mate good work, Does the s3 valance fit onto the s line bumper or did you have too change the bumper aswell?

It's just a straight swap :) The lower section of the SLine bumper unclips off and the S3 equivalent replaces it.... although a part of it will need to be sprayed to match your car, but still an easy mod

Love the skirts and rear valance, but why the 06 valance and not 09?

Honestly... I can't remember!? I think I was under the impression that the 09 valance wouldn't fit without replacing the whole rear bumper.... but having said that, after googling the difference I think I prefer the 06 valance anyway

Looks lovely, will the S3 Rear valance fit on the A3 Sport?

Ok, she's back from the body shop. Had the 8P2 S3 bumper fitted, sprayed the rear valance and lower mid section of the front bumper satin black and had the rings sprayed in satin grey

Will try and get some pictures in the next week or so, but for now;

79070950.jpg

onewtsfr.jpg