Removing piano trim

nicks3

Reaction score
Anyone know how easy it is to remove the piano trim to replace with, say ali trim? Anyone done it?

I asked the salesman this at the dealership when I bought my car and he said it was very difficult, but he would I suppose as my next question would have been if he was going to include the ali trim in the sale. I replaced all the fake wood in my golf with the ali trim and it was pretty easy once you knew how - if Audi supply it I imagine it wouldn't be too hard, looks much better than the piano black I have.

Hi nicks3

I have not attempted to change the trim as my A3 is an SE model with a light grey interior and walnut trim, which I quite like.

But, I do have a copy of the ElsaWin electronic workshop manual which covers the A3 and it gives some details of how the various trims are removed. There are a few illustrations and some brief instructions.

I have copy these into a Word document and if you would like to send me a PM with your email address I'll send you a copy.

According to the illustrations in the ElsaWin electronic workshop manual, there are clips used to retain the trim but these remain as part of the door card when the trim is removed. The first instruction when removing the door cards is to remove the trim to give access to some of the door card fixings.

This image shows the clips in the door card...

A70-1190.jpg

Perhaps its a ploy to get workshop time up..........

Is anyone prepared to 'have a go' at removing one of these?

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps its a ploy to get workshop time up..........

Is anyone prepared to 'have a go' at removing one of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's on my todo list..