170 tdi MPG thread

markm3006

Reaction score
What sort of MPG figures are other 170's getting ?

On a recent trip from Southampton to Aberdeen I got 50.1 MPG @ an average of 58 MPH over 550 miles / 9.31 hours driving.
Trip 2 is recording an average of 46.3 MPG over the last 2418 miles :yes:
Car is a 2012 170 BE Sportback Quattro with 2418 miles on it.

Mine is a 170 3 door quattro and I am getting on a long trip about 80mph around 48mpg. Overall I am really happy with it. I had been expecting lower to be honest but on a long run it isn't too bad! My car has the same miles as you on it and same age.

Cheers,
Si

Just done 590 miles on my last tank, 50.8mpg using brim test mainly motorway

Usually get 550 or 47mpg from the tank mixed driving

2007 170 DSG 39k

Just done 590 miles on my last tank, 50.8mpg using brim test mainly motorway

Usually get 550 or 47mpg from the tank mixed driving

2007 170 DSG 39k

Wow, your car is very similar to my wife's(2007 2.0tdi 170 DSG S line SB 41k miles)

The most I've ever seen form a tank is 390 miles!(more urban than motorway)

My hunch is that as when we first got the car it did far too many short journeys and hence the DPF got blocked(it did one regen with the light on the dash)

But I have since discovered that when the idle RPM rises to just over 1000RPM it's doing a passive regen(which it does sometimes)

When on the motorway at arouf 70-80mph it shows 45mpg on the DIS but an urban runs and in heavy traffic that falls to 22mpg!

Any thoughts anyone?

It a full long life service with all filters etc changed at 38k miles.

Should I change the fuel filter again just to check?

thanks

had my A3 2.0 TDI 170 on 51000 miles for two months and covered just over 5000 miles since i got it, i usually get 48-50mpg on my 118 mile trip to n from work and get about 500 miles to a tank. when i got it i only got about 43-46mpg and 430 miles so I'm messing it had been used by the previous owner for short journeys but its getting better now, i got 530 out of it last week.

had my A3 2.0 TDI 170 on 51000 miles for two months and covered just over 5000 miles since i got it, i usually get 48-50mpg on my 118 mile trip to n from work and get about 500 miles to a tank. when i got it i only got about 43-46mpg and 430 miles so I'm messing it had been used by the previous owner for short journeys but its getting better now, i got 530 out of it last week.

Sounds good.

A friend of mine borrown my 07 170 while is was away and reckoned he got 500 miles to tank on the motorway a lot but since I've been back I reckon I'm still on course for 350 per tank urban trips.

Any thoughts on what I could check to help imporve the mpg?

Wow, your car is very similar to my wife's(2007 2.0tdi 170 DSG S line SB 41k miles)

The most I've ever seen form a tank is 390 miles!(more urban than motorway)

My hunch is that as when we first got the car it did far too many short journeys and hence the DPF got blocked(it did one regen with the light on the dash)

But I have since discovered that when the idle RPM rises to just over 1000RPM it's doing a passive regen(which it does sometimes)

When on the motorway at arouf 70-80mph it shows 45mpg on the DIS but an urban runs and in heavy traffic that falls to 22mpg!

Any thoughts anyone?

It a full long life service with all filters etc changed at 38k miles.

Should I change the fuel filter again just to check?

thanks

Bloomin heck that's about 33mpg, something's not tight there pal, injectors been replaced under recall?

My mpg went up after I had injectors and DSG oil service done

Bloomin heck that's about 33mpg, something's not tight there pal, injectors been replaced under recall?

My mpg went up after I had injectors and DSG oil service done

yeah i had the injectors replaced but the mpg was as bad after as it was before.

could it be the DPF?

Sounds good.

A friend of mine borrown my 07 170 while is was away and reckoned he got 500 miles to tank on the motorway a lot but since I've been back I reckon I'm still on course for 350 per tank urban trips.

Any thoughts on what I could check to help imporve the mpg?

Yeah sell it and get a petrol as your not doing enough miles to warrant the diesel... You only really get the higher mpg when doing longer journeys...

Our 170TDi 2010 does mid 30's on short trips, on a run though it's up to the low 50's...

yeah i had the injectors replaced but the mpg was as bad after as it was before.

could it be the DPF?

More than likely the DPF, from what I've read it uses more fuel on start up to warm the DPF but once up to temp is more efficient than an engine without one, but I'm not to sure I think with the DPF deleted it would be better all round

If you wanted to keep your car I would look into a DPF delete, wouldn't affect MOT but would give better mpg

Yeah sell it and get a petrol as your not doing enough miles to warrant the diesel... You only really get the higher mpg when doing longer journeys...

Our 170TDi 2010 does mid 30's on short trips, on a run though it's up to the low 50's...

Good to hear someone is getting similar mpg.

Sell it?

I wouldn't change the car we have now for anything! Just put an RNSe Mk2, S3 pedals, S tronic gear knob, 2011 bluetooth, Full LED interior lighting and Diamond Vision main beams and all that's left is upgrade the iPod integration to AMI

And I'd never give up that mid range torque of a diesel, I find the the higher lower range torque more useful in the real world than the 07 DSG R32 I had!

It's my wife's car and she'll be using it on motorway runs everyday soon.

Tempted to get the dpf deleted but nowhere decent in dublin can do it

2011 BE Quattro 3-Door 170 Tdi.

I get a calculated 43.67 mpg :)

My driving is generally three to four days A roads, with three to four days relatively short journeys locally per week.

I've been using V-Power for the last 5 or 6 weeks and seen no discernible imporvement or change in fuel use.

Also one thing to keep an eye on is that the latest vag spec oil is being used, lower spec oil causes the DPF to get clogged easier

Audi forgot about this so I had them change it for longlife 3, cost them a new turbo as well

Also one thing to keep an eye on is that the latest vag spec oil is being used, lower spec oil causes the DPF to get clogged easier

Audi forgot about this so I had them change it for longlife 3, cost them a new turbo as well

I didn't known that, I'll check the oil spec on the last invoice

thanks

Yeah mine is a non Quattro, and 90% of my driving is motorways :)

Good to hear someone is getting similar mpg.

Sell it?

I wouldn't change the car we have now for anything! Just put an RNSe Mk2, S3 pedals, S tronic gear knob, 2011 bluetooth, Full LED interior lighting and Diamond Vision main beams and all that's left is upgrade the iPod integration to AMI

And I'd never give up that mid range torque of a diesel, I find the the higher lower range torque more useful in the real world than the 07 DSG R32 I had!

It's my wife's car and she'll be using it on motorway runs everyday soon.

Tempted to get the dpf deleted but nowhere decent in dublin can do it

Well if your wife is going to be doing motorway trips then you'll see the benefit and the increase in mpg. Will do the DPF the world of good too, but to be honest our car has never given any DPF issues doing only 5k miles a year and short trips.

I average about 36mpg most of the time, but this is 95% urban stop-start driving. On a long cruise it's obviously better but I can only get it up to around 60mpg by maintaining a constant 60-ish mph.

On a trip out to the Nurburgring last year I averaged about 47mpg for the whole trip of 500 miles, which was mostly motorway cruising at around 90mph including a v-max run on the Autobahn just to see what she'd do (managed 141mph).

Basically the 170TDI is far from what I'd call "efficient" for a modern diesel but it's acceptable to me.

I get around 550miles from a full tank in my 57 plate standard 170TDI, that's driving both local and motorway around 500 miles ever 2 weeks. Driving sensibly and to the speed limits.

Above 70mph it drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion. I think the gearing especially 6th could do with being a bit higher. Example in my Seat Ibiza 130TDI 2000rpm equated to 85mph approx; my Audi 2000rpm equates to 65mph approx.

Because of the higher fuel consumption it's slowed me down.

It is a very nice car though. :sm4: