Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    markm3006's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oldmeldrum, Aberdeenshire UK
    Posts
    59

    170 tdi MPG thread

    What sort of MPG figures are other 170's getting ?

    On a recent trip from Southampton to Aberdeen I got 50.1 MPG @ an average of 58 MPH over 550 miles / 9.31 hours driving.
    Trip 2 is recording an average of 46.3 MPG over the last 2418 miles
    Car is a 2012 170 BE Sportback Quattro with 2418 miles on it.
    2012 A3 Sportback Black Edition, 170 tdi Quattro, Brilliant red, roof rails, comfort pack & folding mirrors etc
    2011 BMW R1200 GS Adventure,

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    A3_Black_Edition's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Weston-super-mare
    Posts
    415
    Mine is a 170 3 door quattro and I am getting on a long trip about 80mph around 48mpg. Overall I am really happy with it. I had been expecting lower to be honest but on a long run it isn't too bad! My car has the same miles as you on it and same age.

    Cheers,
    Si
    Currently Driving - 2012 White 3 Door A3 170 Quattro Black Edition with loads of toys! - It's here and I love it!

  4. #3
    cloughy's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    515
    Just done 590 miles on my last tank, 50.8mpg using brim test mainly motorway

    Usually get 550 or 47mpg from the tank mixed driving

    2007 170 DSG 39k

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    Just done 590 miles on my last tank, 50.8mpg using brim test mainly motorway

    Usually get 550 or 47mpg from the tank mixed driving

    2007 170 DSG 39k
    Wow, your car is very similar to my wife's(2007 2.0tdi 170 DSG S line SB 41k miles)

    The most I've ever seen form a tank is 390 miles!(more urban than motorway)

    My hunch is that as when we first got the car it did far too many short journeys and hence the DPF got blocked(it did one regen with the light on the dash)

    But I have since discovered that when the idle RPM rises to just over 1000RPM it's doing a passive regen(which it does sometimes)

    When on the motorway at arouf 70-80mph it shows 45mpg on the DIS but an urban runs and in heavy traffic that falls to 22mpg!

    Any thoughts anyone?

    It a full long life service with all filters etc changed at 38k miles.

    Should I change the fuel filter again just to check?

    thanks

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    182
    had my A3 2.0 TDI 170 on 51000 miles for two months and covered just over 5000 miles since i got it, i usually get 48-50mpg on my 118 mile trip to n from work and get about 500 miles to a tank. when i got it i only got about 43-46mpg and 430 miles so I'm messing it had been used by the previous owner for short journeys but its getting better now, i got 530 out of it last week.

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by gizm0 View Post
    had my A3 2.0 TDI 170 on 51000 miles for two months and covered just over 5000 miles since i got it, i usually get 48-50mpg on my 118 mile trip to n from work and get about 500 miles to a tank. when i got it i only got about 43-46mpg and 430 miles so I'm messing it had been used by the previous owner for short journeys but its getting better now, i got 530 out of it last week.
    Sounds good.

    A friend of mine borrown my 07 170 while is was away and reckoned he got 500 miles to tank on the motorway a lot but since I've been back I reckon I'm still on course for 350 per tank urban trips.

    Any thoughts on what I could check to help imporve the mpg?

  8. #7
    markm3006's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oldmeldrum, Aberdeenshire UK
    Posts
    59
    Are the non quattro 170's getting a great deal more to the gallon ?
    2012 A3 Sportback Black Edition, 170 tdi Quattro, Brilliant red, roof rails, comfort pack & folding mirrors etc
    2011 BMW R1200 GS Adventure,

  9. #8
    cloughy's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by paultaylor View Post
    Wow, your car is very similar to my wife's(2007 2.0tdi 170 DSG S line SB 41k miles)

    The most I've ever seen form a tank is 390 miles!(more urban than motorway)

    My hunch is that as when we first got the car it did far too many short journeys and hence the DPF got blocked(it did one regen with the light on the dash)

    But I have since discovered that when the idle RPM rises to just over 1000RPM it's doing a passive regen(which it does sometimes)

    When on the motorway at arouf 70-80mph it shows 45mpg on the DIS but an urban runs and in heavy traffic that falls to 22mpg!

    Any thoughts anyone?

    It a full long life service with all filters etc changed at 38k miles.

    Should I change the fuel filter again just to check?

    thanks
    Bloomin heck that's about 33mpg, something's not tight there pal, injectors been replaced under recall?

    My mpg went up after I had injectors and DSG oil service done

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    Bloomin heck that's about 33mpg, something's not tight there pal, injectors been replaced under recall?

    My mpg went up after I had injectors and DSG oil service done
    yeah i had the injectors replaced but the mpg was as bad after as it was before.

    could it be the DPF?

  11. #10
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by paultaylor View Post
    Sounds good.

    A friend of mine borrown my 07 170 while is was away and reckoned he got 500 miles to tank on the motorway a lot but since I've been back I reckon I'm still on course for 350 per tank urban trips.

    Any thoughts on what I could check to help imporve the mpg?
    Yeah sell it and get a petrol as your not doing enough miles to warrant the diesel... You only really get the higher mpg when doing longer journeys...

    Our 170TDi 2010 does mid 30's on short trips, on a run though it's up to the low 50's...
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  12. #11
    cloughy's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by paultaylor View Post
    yeah i had the injectors replaced but the mpg was as bad after as it was before.

    could it be the DPF?
    More than likely the DPF, from what I've read it uses more fuel on start up to warm the DPF but once up to temp is more efficient than an engine without one, but I'm not to sure I think with the DPF deleted it would be better all round

    If you wanted to keep your car I would look into a DPF delete, wouldn't affect MOT but would give better mpg

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    Yeah sell it and get a petrol as your not doing enough miles to warrant the diesel... You only really get the higher mpg when doing longer journeys...

    Our 170TDi 2010 does mid 30's on short trips, on a run though it's up to the low 50's...
    Good to hear someone is getting similar mpg.

    Sell it?

    I wouldn't change the car we have now for anything! Just put an RNSe Mk2, S3 pedals, S tronic gear knob, 2011 bluetooth, Full LED interior lighting and Diamond Vision main beams and all that's left is upgrade the iPod integration to AMI

    And I'd never give up that mid range torque of a diesel, I find the the higher lower range torque more useful in the real world than the 07 DSG R32 I had!

    It's my wife's car and she'll be using it on motorway runs everyday soon.

    Tempted to get the dpf deleted but nowhere decent in dublin can do it

  14. #13
    The Governor's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    436
    2011 BE Quattro 3-Door 170 Tdi.

    I get a calculated 43.67 mpg

    My driving is generally three to four days A roads, with three to four days relatively short journeys locally per week.

    I've been using V-Power for the last 5 or 6 weeks and seen no discernible imporvement or change in fuel use.

  15. #14
    cloughy's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    515
    Also one thing to keep an eye on is that the latest vag spec oil is being used, lower spec oil causes the DPF to get clogged easier

    Audi forgot about this so I had them change it for longlife 3, cost them a new turbo as well

  16. #15
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by cloughy View Post
    Also one thing to keep an eye on is that the latest vag spec oil is being used, lower spec oil causes the DPF to get clogged easier

    Audi forgot about this so I had them change it for longlife 3, cost them a new turbo as well
    I didn't known that, I'll check the oil spec on the last invoice

    thanks

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    182
    Yeah mine is a non Quattro, and 90% of my driving is motorways

  18. #17
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by paultaylor View Post
    Good to hear someone is getting similar mpg.

    Sell it?

    I wouldn't change the car we have now for anything! Just put an RNSe Mk2, S3 pedals, S tronic gear knob, 2011 bluetooth, Full LED interior lighting and Diamond Vision main beams and all that's left is upgrade the iPod integration to AMI

    And I'd never give up that mid range torque of a diesel, I find the the higher lower range torque more useful in the real world than the 07 DSG R32 I had!

    It's my wife's car and she'll be using it on motorway runs everyday soon.

    Tempted to get the dpf deleted but nowhere decent in dublin can do it
    Well if your wife is going to be doing motorway trips then you'll see the benefit and the increase in mpg. Will do the DPF the world of good too, but to be honest our car has never given any DPF issues doing only 5k miles a year and short trips.
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  19. #18
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,533
    I average about 36mpg most of the time, but this is 95% urban stop-start driving. On a long cruise it's obviously better but I can only get it up to around 60mpg by maintaining a constant 60-ish mph.

    On a trip out to the Nurburgring last year I averaged about 47mpg for the whole trip of 500 miles, which was mostly motorway cruising at around 90mph including a v-max run on the Autobahn just to see what she'd do (managed 141mph).

    Basically the 170TDI is far from what I'd call "efficient" for a modern diesel but it's acceptable to me.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

  20. #19
    coxy8329's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    166
    I get around 550miles from a full tank in my 57 plate standard 170TDI, that's driving both local and motorway around 500 miles ever 2 weeks. Driving sensibly and to the speed limits.

    Above 70mph it drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion. I think the gearing especially 6th could do with being a bit higher. Example in my Seat Ibiza 130TDI 2000rpm equated to 85mph approx; my Audi 2000rpm equates to 65mph approx.

    Because of the higher fuel consumption it's slowed me down.

    It is a very nice car though.
    Audi A3 Sline 170 2.0 TDI

    Mods Done
    -
    RNS-E mkII fitted, Tinted Repeaters, Center Armrest,
    LED Interior Lights, Cruise Control, LED Number Plate Lights,
    VW fan windshield washers, S3 Pedals, Metal Footrest,
    DPF & EGR delete, Unicorn Remap, De-badged the tailgate.


    With DPF Without DPF

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Another thread about 143 TDI MPG
    By neocraven in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 6th December 2012, 15:35
  2. 2.0 TDI 140 Sportback Black Edition MPG Thread
    By LukeTDi in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23rd July 2012, 08:52
  3. TDI 170 PD MPG - DIS / MPG accuracy? (pessimistic)
    By c_w in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11th December 2010, 16:30
  4. 02 Avant 2.5 TDI MPG ??
    By johnny_m in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 27th October 2004, 10:41
  5. A4 2.5 Tdi MPG?
    By ribena in forum Diesel forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25th August 2004, 22:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO