Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683

    A question for all you Tuners??

    Hi, basically my car (Audi S3 56Plate) is going for a revo stage 2 (yes i know it's not stage 2+ but its only 50quid) on friday, i have a sps switch and i was wondering whether they'd be able to set my sps switch so that performance A is stage 1 remap and performance B is stage 2?

    Do you think they'd be able to do that and if not why? Surely someone's thought of this before me....

    Thanks in advance

    Dom

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,786
    Not sure there's a huge difference between stage 1+2 anyway though? it's basically. just to switch off that EML light?
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  4. #3
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    What they can do is to give you a couple of different settings which will feel much the same as what you're after.

    Stage2+ is probably the best bang for your buck but as you say,will cost more.

  5. #4
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Not sure there's a huge difference between stage 1+2 anyway though? it's basically. just to switch off that EML light?
    I know there's not a huge difference but there must be some as people seem to say their clutches went immediately at stage 2 but was fine at stage 1.

    I just think it would be nice to have all the stages on the sps switch.

  6. #5
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,786
    Yeah suppose the choice would be nice.

    Theyll just perhaps tell you some values to use on the sps. i.e turn the boost/fuel down etc. so effectively de-tune stage 2 down a bit.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  7. #6
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    I know there's not a huge difference but there must be some as people seem to say their clutches went immediately at stage 2 but was fine at stage 1.I just think it would be nice to have all the stages on the sps switch.
    As before,you won't get the various stages,but you can simply have the boost levels on each setting different.
    It's torque that kills the stock clutch,and it's limit seems to be around 320-330lbs.

  8. #7
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    As before,you won't get the various stages,but you can simply have the boost levels on each setting different.
    It's torque that kills the stock clutch,and it's limit seems to be around 320-330lbs.
    What torque would it be running with the stage 2 then?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Yeah suppose the choice would be nice.

    Theyll just perhaps tell you some values to use on the sps. i.e turn the boost/fuel down etc. so effectively de-tune stage 2 down a bit.
    Is that all the remap is? Because i could of bought a wire that connected to my laptop and done it myself with some advice on here lol

    Yeah would be nice but if its not possible then nevermind.

  9. #8
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    What torque would it be running with the stage 2 then?Is that all the remap is? Because i could of bought a wire that connected to my laptop and done it myself with some advice on here lolYeah would be nice but if its not possible then nevermind.
    Firstly,a proper remap is a whole lot more than a bit of poking around with a laptop......you need to take into account fuelling,timing and boost plus intake and EGTs as well....plus a lot more.
    Stg2 torque varies but usually peaks at up to 350-360lbs,but will drop off quite sharply in the midrange,as the stock HPFP will be running a bit short,and thats the aim of Stg2+,to iron that out by using an uprated HPFP.

  10. #9
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,786
    I'm sure there's more to it really. You've got the added bonus of the intake which obviously...more air more bang, so I guess values are changed in the software somewhere. Then the exhaust is less restrictive also again values would probably change to account for this.

    But hell I'm no tuner, im just the tuneé if you like.

    i had stage 1 from chip tuning on my previous s3 8p. it was violent and pretty powerful...for about 2 seconds....

    After this stage 2 update I had a few days ago with shark. my S3 is now in a different league to what my old one was. So there must be more to it really than just switching the light off.

    But unless you've got a good deal, which you have,, and i did, I'd stick with the stage 1 or 2+ way of thinking. and miss 2 out altogether.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  11. #10
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    As mjr901 has said,Stg2+ is the best overall value,as you'll find the torque dip on Stg2 is noticeable(or at least I did),but you need the exhaust,intake and fuel pump for that.
    The great thing about this car is that there are parts and maps for every requirement,from 310bhp to over 600bhp,and reliability as well.

  12. #11
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    I've got the intake and the exhaust (well trying to get the decat part fitted beofre friday) and the uprated dump valve. I don't quite have the funds for the hpfp as i'm going on holiday in 2weeks.

  13. #12
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    I've got the intake and the exhaust (well trying to get the decat part fitted beofre friday) and the uprated dump valve. I don't quite have the funds for the hpfp as i'm going on holiday in 2weeks.
    In that case,you're most of the way there.

    The pump does make a noticeable difference,as while it may not increase PEAK power and torque,it does smooth out the torque delivery across the mid and upper range,which otherwise drops off quite a bit.

  14. #13
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Yes i am :D new clutch and hpfp the stage 2+. I've seen on here something about another fuel pump in the tank? Is that needed?

  15. #14
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    Yes i am :D new clutch and hpfp the stage 2+. I've seen on here something about another fuel pump in the tank? Is that needed?
    The stock in-tank pump is good for up to 440bhp.
    You do NOT need an auxiliary or uprated pump until you get above that.

  16. #15
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Nice one!! What do you think about second hand hpfp's?

  17. #16
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    Nice one!! What do you think about second hand hpfp's?
    Personally I wouldnt.......I'd get the Autotech internals fitted by someone who knows what he's doing and go with that.
    I've had one for 30 000 miles.

  18. #17
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Ok. best start saving after i've got the clutch done.

  19. #18
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    You want stage 1 or stage 3, depending which software you chose.

  20. #19
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    How long does it take to change a dowpipe? I was thinking and hour max? Garage just rang me and said 4hours!!! I said don't touch my car, i'll come get it.

  21. #20
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    How long does it take to change a dowpipe? I was thinking and hour max? Garage just rang me and said 4hours!!! I said don't touch my car, i'll come get it.
    It's a fiddly job.

    Means getting behind the engine to the turbo which is in a very tight place and is a pain to get at.

  22. #21
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,786
    lol 4hrs!!!! it's an hour tops!!

    3 bolts on the diff, push to oneside which leaves room for the downpipe to riggle past then just the bolts on the downpipe which is bolted to turbo, can be fiddly and the nuts are properly stiff to get off as there like an industrial lock nuts on there and they sort of weld themselves on!

    the rest of the exhaust is just clamps and hangers etc so its an easy job as long as you have a ramp to be honest!
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  23. #22
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    lol 4hrs!!!! it's an hour tops!!

    3 bolts on the diff, push to oneside which leaves room for the downpipe to riggle past then just the bolts on the downpipe which is bolted to turbo, can be fiddly and the nuts are properly stiff to get off as there like an industrial lock nuts on there and they sort of weld themselves on!

    the rest of the exhaust is just clamps and hangers etc so its an easy job as long as you have a ramp to be honest!
    I thought it'd be an hour tops too!! Thats why i told them where to go and told them not to touch my car!! ha. I said if i had a lift and the tools i'd do it myself in an hour!! And i'm no mechanic!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. questions for all you Audio boffins out there.
    By sportstractor in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th December 2010, 20:48
  2. a change?for all you S3 owners
    By campbell in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11th March 2007, 06:46
  3. For all you mobile phone drivers
    By Rev-head in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th February 2007, 13:33
  4. For all you carbon lovers......
    By docurley in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7th March 2006, 21:08
  5. For all you potential new GTI buyers
    By h5djr in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 5th October 2005, 12:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO