JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bevanoli

Thread: New A3 Black Edtion

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7

    New A3 Black Edtion

    Hi All,

    First post so be kind!

    Just about to order a new black edtion, probably in white but i want to know about the engines and what people have here

    At the moment ive got the Leon FR 180bhp - to be fair its thirsty!

    So does anyone on here have the 140bhp version of the black edtion and if you do, what MPG do you get and how many miles from the tank?

    Does anyone have the 170 but in the manual/auto and is there a difference in the MPG between the two versions?

    Cheers guys, going to be doing about 35k per year in it so need it to be good on fuel!

    Cheers

    Mark

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    StevePn's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Posts
    22
    Hi, Just ordered a Sportback 2.0 (170) Black Edition in Glacier White. Not ready until the end of September though. Hopefully should get 50 mpg ish. My Alfa Brera averaged about 29 mpg, plus a bit cramped in the rear. Steve
    Last edited by StevePn; 2nd July 2012 at 12:43.

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    yeah thats what the dealer said to me too,

    im going to go for the Ibis white as its a lease car

  5. #4
    A3_Black_Edition's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Weston-super-mare
    Posts
    415
    My 170 Quattro does about 46ish on a long motorway run..... I have only done 2500 miles in it so expect it will get a little better..

    Cheers,
    Si
    Currently Driving - 2012 White 3 Door A3 170 Quattro Black Edition with loads of toys! - It's here and I love it!

  6. #5
    A3_Black_Edition's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Weston-super-mare
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by bevanoli View Post
    Hi All,

    First post so be kind!

    Just about to order a new black edtion, probably in white but i want to know about the engines and what people have here

    At the moment ive got the Leon FR 180bhp - to be fair its thirsty!

    So does anyone on here have the 140bhp version of the black edtion and if you do, what MPG do you get and how many miles from the tank?

    Does anyone have the 170 but in the manual/auto and is there a difference in the MPG between the two versions?

    Cheers guys, going to be doing about 35k per year in it so need it to be good on fuel!

    Cheers

    Mark
    Hi mate,

    Is your leon Petrol or derv then? I had the fr petrol and it was very thirsty.

    Cheers,
    Si
    Currently Driving - 2012 White 3 Door A3 170 Quattro Black Edition with loads of toys! - It's here and I love it!

  7. #6
    dakmaster's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    81
    I get around 55MPG m/way and between 45-50MPG local journeys. That's a 140 BE, wish i hadn't chosen ibis though

  8. #7
    A3_Black_Edition's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Weston-super-mare
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by dakmaster View Post
    I get around 55MPG m/way and between 45-50MPG local journeys. That's a 140 BE, wish i hadn't chosen ibis though
    How come mate? The cleaning part of it?

    Cheers,
    Si
    Currently Driving - 2012 White 3 Door A3 170 Quattro Black Edition with loads of toys! - It's here and I love it!

  9. #8
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Manchester In the Hills !
    Posts
    677
    currently getting around 44 around town and 50 on a motorway run.
    I only have 300 miles on it though. It is a 140 BE

    I dont think you can go wrong with a 140. Plenty powerful enough for me and at 35K miles a year you must be on motorways a lot so the extra horses woudl probably be a waste of time.

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_Black_Edition View Post
    Hi mate,

    Is your leon Petrol or derv then? I had the fr petrol and it was very thirsty.

    Cheers,
    Si
    hi Si,

    Ive got the 170 BHP 2.0 tdi, but i do find this thirsty... especially when booting it! hence why i want to go for the 140BHP, trouble is, I will probably go for the 140BHP and thrash it out like the 170BHP so may aswell get the 170..
    A3_Black_Edition likes this.

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_Black_Edition View Post
    How come mate? The cleaning part of it?

    Cheers,
    Si
    Yeah how come you dont like the Ibis?

    Take it its a nightmare to clean? Ive got black at the moment and its a pain in the arse!

  12. #11
    rOb_A's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,485
    i've just come from a phantom black and now with Ibis again. i have to say the Ibis for me stays cleaner for longer, make sure you wax or seal with some good stuff and you should have no problems with ibis white
    Last edited by rOb_A; 2nd July 2012 at 21:42.

  13. #12
    LukeTDi's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ripon, North Yorks
    Posts
    29
    170 is a thirsty car, but if you drive it sensibly i used to get 650 miles from a tank!
    2014 '63' Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 150ps Sportback
    | Nevada White | 18" Alloys | Cruise Control | Heated Front Seats | Comfort Package | B&O Sound System | Privacy Glass | Panoramic Sunroof | Sat Nav | Parking Sensors

  14. #13
    Rhymesaka's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    240
    I have a 170 S - Tronic and I only get 400 - 450 miles to a tank, motorway miles in the week with a bit of town driving at the weekend....
    Ibis - BE 170 S-Tronic

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by bloblob2 View Post
    i've just come from a phantom black and now with Ibis again. i have to say the Ibis for me stays cleaner for longer, make sure you wax or seal with some good stuff and you should have no problems with ibis white
    I can second that, Ive just come from a candy white mk6 to a brill black A3 sb and the black is a nightmare to stay clean esp if it rains! The white would look cleaner for longer.

  16. #15
    A3_Black_Edition's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Weston-super-mare
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by bloblob2 View Post
    i've just come from a phantom black and now with Ibis again. i have to say the Ibis for me stays cleaner for longer, make sure you wax or seal with some good stuff and you should have no problems with ibis white
    I agree, if you stick a good wax on it then it isn't too bad to keep clean. I do love it when it is clean!

    Cheers,
    Si
    Currently Driving - 2012 White 3 Door A3 170 Quattro Black Edition with loads of toys! - It's here and I love it!

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    I have a 140 TDi BE 3dr and since getting it 3wks ago, on two runs, just over 3hrs with 85% motorway driving, the DIS showed 60.7 and 60.4 mpg. Don't know how true this is, but need to calculate with fill-ups to compare.

    Truefully, I was a bit disappointed as I thought it would be a bit closer to book value, ~74 mpg!. I suppose though I wasn't driving at 58mph with no air con on, with an empty boot!.

  18. #17
    ducks1978's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    67
    I used to have the 170bhp and then bought an A5 last year and we have just ordered an A3 again and as its cheaper and I used to love my A3. I first ordered the 140bhp (economy, road tax) where the drivers for it but when I got home I posted on the forum and got more confused and then changed it to the 170bhp, not sure if you would notice the economy difference that much but boy does the car shift through gears and I beleive its £100 a year for the road tax. No need to then chip the 140bhp to what I can have as standard.

    We did have the white 170bhp and loved it, then one of my mates said I flash most A3 white cars as I think its yours, thats when I noticed that every other A3 was white! This time just went for black, black edition

  19. #18
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ducks1978 View Post
    I used to have the 170bhp and then bought an A5 last year and we have just ordered an A3 again and as its cheaper and I used to love my A3. I first ordered the 140bhp (economy, road tax) where the drivers for it but when I got home I posted on the forum and got more confused and then changed it to the 170bhp, not sure if you would notice the economy difference that much but boy does the car shift through gears and I beleive its £100 a year for the road tax. No need to then chip the 140bhp to what I can have as standard.

    We did have the white 170bhp and loved it, then one of my mates said I flash most A3 white cars as I think its yours, thats when I noticed that every other A3 was white! This time just went for black, black edition
    Thanks for this,

    I havent ordered it as yet, but just about to, will definately go for the 170bhp as its one which Ive got now..

    Surely if i chip it, then when it goes to Audi for a service they will know and ill need to do it again?

    I only want to chip it for the better MPG

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie, A3 Black Edtion Advice Plz
    By Diamond in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th April 2010, 12:32
  2. Newbie, A3 Black Edtion Advice Plz
    By Diamond in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th April 2010, 11:35
  3. New S3 Black Edition - Ibis out, Sprint Blue in
    By RicoS3 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2nd March 2010, 19:35
  4. New S3 Black Edition Ordered
    By Y444GAR in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 23rd February 2010, 17:21
  5. Just ordered new S3 black edition!!!
    By summy25 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30th December 2009, 20:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO