'Drive off lock' switched off...but....

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Car was into dealer today to have the,IMO,annoying 'drive off autolock' switched off. (you drive off and the doors automatically lock around you)

However,they have informed me that I will now have to put up with the horn giving a couple of little 'beeps' when I lock the car now.

What the hell are they on about ??

Is this normal on cars without the drive-off autolock ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I have the feeling this could be more annoying than the autolocking.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

What they really mean is they dont know how to disable it with the VAGCOM box.... beep to confirm lock is just as switchable as the antihijack (autolock)

If that is the case,I will get it booked back in pretty damned quickly !

I'll see how much of a 'beep' we're talking about when it comes back.

I live in a quiet street and often return home late,so I don't want anything noisy.

[ QUOTE ]
What they really mean is they dont know how to disable it with the VAGCOM box.... beep to confirm lock is just as switchable as the antihijack (autolock)

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, this is indeed correct and so obviously Speccy cars aren't always knowledgeable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Well it's not that bad after all..
They told me it would be the horn that sounded when I locked the car.
It's not.
It's a high pitched 'beep' that is in keeping with an alarm.
I actually quite like it,so I'll keep it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I tell you something,the 'beep on lock' is so damned handy it's a crime it's not standard.

No more looking behind you to see if the indicators have flashed and no more 'double checking'.

Perhaps Audi think it's a bit too 'chav' for the golf club car park....

Top notch option in my book and chuffed to bits the dealer switched it on 'by accident'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

The EU Directive 95/56 requires...

If an indication of short term "dynamic" processes such as change from "set" to "unset" and vice versa is provided, it shall be optical, according to Item 3. Such optical indication may be produced by the simultaneous operation of direction indicators and/or passenger compartment lamp(s), provided that the duration of the optical indication by the direction indicators does not exceed 3 seconds. (Directive 95/56/EC, Annex VI, paragraph 4.9.2. and 9.9.2.)

The requirement is clearly that it should be 'optical' although I know quite a lot of alarm system do give quick 'chirp' by the siren when they are set. I think the idea was to stop the loud siren noise that was associated with older system when they were set. I can remember being rather reluctant to set the alarm on some of my previous cars when I came home late at night for fear of waking everyone up in the whole street. I can always tell on my A3 that the alarm is set by hearing the central-locking activating.

[ QUOTE ]
I can always tell on my A3 that the alarm is set by hearing the central-locking activating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yours must be quite loud then.
When my car is parked in the drive I can't see the indicators,and certainly can't hear any 'clunk',so I often had to actually walk out of the house to check if it was locked.
Not any more !
Little wee 'beep' and I know it's locked,even though I can't see it.
Superb.

Now,if they could just 'magic me up' a manual box.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif