AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

S3 clutch - how long will it last once it slips

As the title suggests guys I am having my 2008 S3 remapped soon to stg 1 and am aware the clutch us weak but just wanted to check when it starts to slip will it fail instantly or keep slipping for a period of time. Just wondered as I work away a lot and didn't want the clutch to fail whilst away from home. I am hoping to get at least 1000 miles out of clutch (car has done 22000 miles) but I know its unlikely or do you think its possible?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    depends how you drive
    Audi S3 2.0TFSI.. Milltek Turbo-Back Non-Res, ITG maxogen, THS FMIC, HPFP internals, Custom FR&RTuning dyno Software

Previous
    Audi S3 1.8T with the following mods: Milltek Cat Back Non Res exhaust, with THS Decat, Induction kit , Forge 007P Valve and Custom FR-RTuning Stage 2 Software..

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    yep ^^

depends on map aggression too

aggressive obviously not as long...

progressive little bit longer....

Have you budgeted for a new clutch yet?
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add pinterovski on Facebook
    Just avoid pedal to the metal in high gears(4,5,6) and you should be fine!!!
    Black roof,Tinted windows,Solar Orange Calipers,KW V3 Coilovers,
    HEKO Wind Deflectors,CAI ITG Maxogen,Non Res Supersprint Exhaust CB with custom Fi76mm DP,
    RevD with GFB DV+,Autotech HPFP,Custom SKN map Stage2,Forge ShortShifter,THS mounts,
    Twintercooler,Clutch is now on LOBA/SACHS!!!
    18 OZ Ultraleggera!
    365HP and 500NM of torque!

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    I had mine stage 1 mapped at 20k. it lasted less than 1k. I drove it hard...very hard. the map was agressive and a bit sh1t to be honest. (chipped UK)

but who wants to drive a mapped car like a daisy huh?? I want to use that power, dunno about you!?

if the budgets there, do the clutch, saves worrying. ease it in for a few thousand miles.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys. I am getting a revo map as there is a dealer close to me. The budget is there to do it when needed I just hoped it would last a little while. Will it slip for a while but be driveable or do they just fail instantly as I work away from home so if it started to slip I would need to get home?

S3 (8P)

Status
    It will get progressively worse once it starts to slip but you could nurse it for a good few 1000 and still get about before changing it.
    I have had this happen on 2 x 20TFSI cars (both REVO`d) and neither catastrophically failed so you shouldnt worry about being stranded, although AA cover is cheap enough.

Good luck
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Rarely neutral

Status
    Mine did pretty well on Stg1,but gave up immediately on Stg2.
    When it does begin to slip,if you do as Paul and Pinterovski have said,you will be able to use it until you get it replaced,as it's usually the clutch's torque limits being exceeded,as opposed to the thing being worn out,but if you keep it slipping it will burn out very quickly.
    The Sachs organic is a good replacement,as is the Loba.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Mine did pretty well on Stg1,but gave up immediately on Stg2.
    When it does begin to slip,if you do as Paul and Pinterovski have said,you will be able to use it until you get it replaced,as it's usually the clutch's torque limits being exceeded,as opposed to the thing being worn out,but if you keep it slipping it will burn out very quickly.
    The Sachs organic is a good replacement,as is the Loba.
    I'm going stage 2 a week on friday, (only because it's £50+vat with Revo) hope mine lasts longer than immediately because i'm going to germany in the car a week later. I don't drive it hard all the time and i never do standing starts.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    I'm going stage 2 a week on friday, (only because it's £50+vat with Revo) hope mine lasts longer than immediately because i'm going to germany in the car a week later. I don't drive it hard all the time and i never do standing starts.
    Treat it fairly gently and it may last for a while.
    Peak torque is what kills it and that's about 3500-4000 rpm esp in high gears so if you avoid full throttle in high gears you should be able to avoid problems until you replace it.

3rd Gear

Status
    Peak torque is what kills it and that's about 3500-4000 rpm esp in high gears so if you avoid full throttle in high gears you should be able to avoid problems until you replace it.
    That'll be alright until i get to the autobarns in germany, oh and round the nurbergring so basically i'll be looking at a new clutch as soon as i get back if i'm lucky!

2nd Gear

Status
    How the hell do you guys drive it above 3500-4000 in the high gears and not lose your license (other than a trip to Germany)?
    I ring my car out in second and half way through third but then I'm doing well over 100km/h which is our limit, any more than 25km/h and we lose our license.
    Mind you I live in central Melbourne so I don't drive on open roads where this is possible very often at all.
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by poli84 View Post
    How the hell do you guys drive it above 3500-4000 in the high gears and not lose your license (other than a trip to Germany)?
    I ring my car out in second and half way through third but then I'm doing well over 100km/h which is our limit, any more than 25km/h and we lose our license.
    Mind you I live in central Melbourne so I don't drive on open roads where this is possible very often at all.
    The answer is very rarely,and very carefully.