Emission Control Light on less than 500 miles after injector recall

A

AndyA3170

As the title says, my emission control light has come on less than 500 miles after ive had the injector recall, does anyone know if this could be related to the injector recall?
Ive booked in at my local dealer for friday morning but would like a bit of ammunition if possible if it could be a related issue as i know main dealers aren't big fans of covering costs if they think they can get out of it lol
Thanks if anyone can give me any info.

can you get the fault codes read (but not deleted) before it goes into the dealer?

ha ha im on the boat and the boats rocking lol, feel like singing 'dont rock the boat audi' lol. Got a mate who read the code today, it was 08194 but he cleared it too, went to audi and expressed some deap concern as there is a very potent smell of diesel coming off the engine under the cover and it shakes like its in a massey ferguson. Dont get me wrong id expect some smell but not like ive just squirted diesel into my nose lol. Got it booked into audi for wednesday with a warning of 'DONT DO TOO MANY MILES IN IT TILL WE HAVE LOOKED IT OVER' so lets see what wednesday brings.

From experience Im guessing at a leaking injector from bad fitment, the shaking is due to one cylinder not holding compression & the other 3 struggling to compensate for it, the fuel smell is essentially the fuel thats leaked.

hopefull Audi will feel the same as you max and sort any problem they may have accidently created

Been on the phone with audi garage today, im told the sensor on the bulk head that operates the DPF valve is faulty so been an electrical issue its got nothing to do with the injectors been recalled for replacement, told them i wasn't happy and as a goodwill gesture the dealership has agreed to go half's with me on the bill which he said was a £192 roughly which is nice of them, just hoping it sorts the issue out

08194 is a code relating to the dpf/cat.

fingers crossed it is........

Have they done the software update as well? When the injectors are swapped the ECU is meant to be updated with new software, the part they've replaced is the DPF pressure sensor, again the software is meant to be updated to take care of that too.

they did mention on the phone about dong a software update cause the rang me to see if it had been remapped or not as the update would knock out a remap so im guessing they are going to do an update

well the story of my emission light goes on, went down south last week, coming back on friday just near sheffield doing about 85mph the emission light came back on. Straight on the phone to audi york, told them it best get me back to york and ill be straight there with it, partner and suitcases in the car and i would like a car waiting for me as i'm not too happy.
So car is with audi and unfortunately i'm in an A4 S line 3.0 TDI qauttro and its awesome lol, part of me hopes its going to be a long fix.
will update when audi get in touch.

Just spoke to audi, they rang me to get more info on what driving i was doing when the light came on, explained it all to them so now they are going to try and simulate my driving to see if they can get it to fault as they cant work out why the emissions light has come on, they said its like the DPF isnt re generatic itself. I explained im keeping the top of the range A4 till its sorted and i dont want it back till it is lol.
Has anyone else seen this kind of fault at all, especially after the injector recall has been done?
Thanks.

Lots of people seem to have had this problem after the recall which has to be poor injector fitting even though Audi deny it to the hilt. Poor burn on one (or more) cylinders will generate lots of soot from incomplete combustion and block the dpf and it won't be able to get to regen temp due to the incorrect burn.

Yeah i agree it makes perfect sense but where do you stand trying to convince audi, i tried with all my will when they were telling me it was a faulty sensor that it had something to do with the injector recall but they wouldnt listen so i ended going halfs on the sensor with them which i didnt want to but there was nothing i could say to make them see my point. I'll just have to see what they say and im going to refuse to accept the car back till its guaranteed sorted and audi can foot the bill for the problems im getting and give me my money back for the sensor if its down to the injector recall.

Just a little update, Audi have been testing the sut cartridge then driving around in the car, testing the cartridge and the DPF has been clearing it by regenerating so they are scrathing there heads as to what is wrong with the car. Told them i dont want it back till they can come up with an answer as i dont want to be visiting the garage once a month to have the fault cleared.

Andy,

I had the Injector recall a few weeks ago and I've had the emission control light come on too. My parents collected it whilst i was on holiday, and did 200-300 miles in the car before i got to drive it but when i did, the light was already on. And then the DFP light came on too a few days (100 miles) later.

Audi dealer did a test and are going to replace the exhaust gas temperature sensor as their computer says thats the problem and not the injector recall. Of course, i'm paying for this.

I just thought it would be useful to let you know that i'm having the same problem. I'm going to call Audi UK as i've read on other threads that this might be a more productive route.

Harry

Wow, same old story with plenty of other folk suffering the SAME issues as me, terrible. I've been through the same thing guys, pulling my hair out at the denial that the symptoms/emmision light/dpf light was related to the injector recall. See the following thread...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...i-uk-watchdog-vosa-after-injector-recall.html

I also was told the exhaust gas temperature sensor, the lights went out but my 'kangarooing' was still evident and sureley a matter of time before the warning lights come on again! It went back they replaced and EGR hose (probably amongst other things) and the car has finally ran fine, for the last month anyway..time will tell, good luck guys.. Oh, definitely DO contact Audi Uk, they were very receptive to my issues with the dealer denial, espcially as I gave them plenty of examples of other people suffering the same issues! I'm sure there are aware it is a problem and dealing with it case by case.. Here are the examples I sent Audi of folk across the VAG group having similar problems, hope they may give you some ammunition!!...

2.0 TDI - PD170 - Injector recall and now problems with DPF - £2k nightmare
Kangarooing when cold after injector recall??
2.0 TDI (BNM) engine sounding rough AFTER injector swap.
Audi a4 170 2.0 tdi problems
Engine Stutter 1600 -2000 rpm.......
Problem since recall
Emission Control Light on less than 500 miles after injector recall
Anyone else with this problem on 2006 2.0 TDi? Injectors..
New DPF cost??? [Archive] - VW AUDI Forum - VWAF
Diesel in oil after injector change - Skoda Octavia II - BRISKODA.net - The Skoda Forum and Community
Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem - Page 30 - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum
Cold Start problems with a PD TDI 170 - Page 5 - Skoda Octavia II - BRISKODA.net - Page 5 - The Skoda Forum and Community
Is it a common fault for the vw golf mk5 gt tdi 170 to have misfiring and dpf problems - uk-mkivs

Any update on your car andy?, ive got the same issue dpf light keeps coming on, ive just had it flushed out and did 125 miles thats including a long motorway journey and light has come on yet again.

well a little update as i havent been on here in a while,
Got my car back from audi after replacing the sensor in the DPF again cause they said the first 1 faulted but it did take them 2 weeks to come up with this answer, had car back for maybe a month, if that.
Last week when driving the car all of a sudden on idel it is bellowing out clouds of smoke, fine when driving just on idel follwed shortly by the DPF light flashing like blackpool illuminations at me.
Car been at audi a week now, rang them today and they are telling me a valve in the exhaust manifold has faulted and its going to cost me £750 for a new manifold.
As you can imagine i laughed down the phone at him whilst explaining that my car was fine untill i had the injector recall dont now ive been back 3 times with faults and the car isnt right, he said so your not paying for it and i said correct, i then told him he can go to his managers, get audi uk involved and im refusing to accept the car back till they are fully involved and my car is sorted, sorted as in as good condition it was in before the injector recall. Going in tomorrow to collect a courtesy car so ill keep the post up to date as i hear more

Good on ya mate, i had one on mine and think they are £450 plus fitting, although i found an updated one on the net for £375 by some other company

But your not paying so all good, you and Max should start a members club, lol

well if it comes down too it i may have to pay for it cause im sure audi certainly wont want too so i maybe asking where you got your cheaper one from in the near future.
The only positive side to my horror story is i havent had to clean my car in about 4 - 5 months cause its that reguler at audi they do it everytime anyway lol

The only positive side to my horror story is i havent had to clean my car in about 4 - 5 months cause its that reguler at audi they do it everytime anyway lol

No doubt the goons at Audi will have dropped the sponge and continued to 'scrub' away

Ha ha that is a fair point lol I best check the paint work when I get it back this time.
Anyone know any good arsonists in the York area by the way? lol

I took a video of mine with copy of the days paper on drivers seat when I dropped it off Friday!

Well surprise of the day is i have my car back again lol
Made 2 phone calls in the AM asking when a courtesy car would be available as id been booked in for one in the morning, by the sounds of it that was something he has actually forgot to do.
Come 3pm i get a phone call to say my car is sorted, the garage have picked up the cost and replaced the actuator in the inlet manifold as you can get it separate from the manifold now, they put this down to mis diagnosing the DPY pressure sensor saying this could have been at fault as well as the sensor but cause they never picked up on it its still been causing issues.
He did bring the actuator to show me and said that it was all coated in carb and so was the rail that connects too it which controls the inlet flaps, which must have been an issue for a while so they have cleaned it all down and put some injector cleaner which should take effect within a couple of hundred miles 'apparently lol'
So car nicely cleaned and home where it should be, i did say "see you next month" to the service chap so i'm currently taking odds on me and my car back in the local audi dealer in november lol

Well just had my injector recall done and within 10 miles the dpf light came on..

Now the car sounds alot louder than before but seems to drive ok.

Give it a blast down the motorway for 20 mins in 4th at 3k rpm and after a few judders and loss of power it went out.

So i am hoping it has cleared it.

Thing is i have never had to do this before as it was running perfectly before it went in.

This really is mental, the same symptoms and always after recall, very odd, be interested to know how this pans out on these two, and also how come people are getting the recalls now, hasnt this been going on since January?

cross your fingers that only the light has come on for now, thats how mine started and its only been about 6 months with continues problems.
Hopefully its been sorted now though cause ive serious thoughts of selling the car and been done with the problems

Thats bascially what im doing mate, all being well for a 140 Golf, with NO dpf!

Mine was one thing after the other though so give urs a chance

Well my cars back at Audi! Xmas day the car started chugging smoke out then the DPF light came on, went to the deodar ship this morning, couldn't get it booked in till the 31st so he told me to go for a blast keeping it around 2000revs so I did, unfortunately I got 20 miles from home and it went into limp mode so the DPF clearly isn't regenerating, went straight back and pretty much demanded a courtesy car so will update when I know more. Wonder what they will want to replace this time, been through 2 DPF pressure sensors and a inlet manifold actuator up to know and it's not sorted it so I'm looking forward to what's next lol

Sorry to hear that mate

They had mine back in the end, and now I have Leon FR 1.9 TDi 150 bhp...n I luv it! Plus its about 1/3 of the cost!

Its a real shame, as the A3's are nice, but I had 4 months of stress with mine and honestly do not believe it would ever be fixed, I saw it go back on the site and now it seems to have been sold, am keeping a look on here in case someone has the same issues!

Hope they do sort it though mate, im guessing its all under warranty?

Well no it's not under warranty as such, the dealership originally went halves on the first DPF pressure sensor so that cost me which I wasn't happy about at the time but after that they obviously replaced again under parts warranty and then the inlet manifold actuator they replaced and paid for under 'Incorrect diagnosing' which is fair enough really.

Will just have to see what they say this time, it's the same fault seen with the smoking and then the DPF light coming on apart from this time I got limp mode but that's the dealerships problem cause I just did what they advised and it didnt clear the light so.

Don't really know why they couldn't clear the light, in my eyes they took a bit of a gamble asking me to clear it with the risk of it not clearing which is unfortunately what happened. I know limp mode is a bit of a fail safe but i still drove an extra 30-40ish miles with a non regenerating DPF which I hope hasn't damaged more than it already is

Shame to hear you got rid but you do what's best for yourself don't you, I know the thought has crossed my mind a few times but I wouldn't want to pass it on and let someone have the issues I'm having especially when audi are doing what they can to sort it even if progress is slow.

I nipped into Audi Thursday and my car needs a new DPF which Audi are picking up the cost of which I'm happy about however they have recommend a new inlet as there is play in the inlet flaps, that will cost me £700 if I decided to go for it, going to ring them and see if there is anything they can do with the price as there is no guarantee it will solve the issue.

Utter crap! They're trying to recoup some money on all their expenditure, play in the inlet manifold flap isn't anything that's measurable + if it was 'faulty' it would be showing a faukt code & throwing a light up on the dash (still nothing to do with the DPF). If they're talking about the inlet manifold flap (in terms of the EGR), again this isn't measurable unless you strip the part down & physically check it (which I doubt they have). Again if this was faulty you'd be getting a fault code & warning light, the part costs around £220 & takes half an hour to fit.

I'd be telling them to do one & take the car to a reputable independent garage who can check it & most likely confirm you're being ripped off!

Maybe should have read that earlier cause told them to go ahead and do it now, it's doing my head in full stop and just want it sorted. Told them on the phone that I want them to guarantee over the phone it will solve it and if they do and it goes faulty again then I want a full refund and they accepted so if it goes wrong at least ill get my money back. If it doesn't ill just be happy to get my car back in full working condition. Might send them the inside of the brand new DPF when it gets gutted and say thanks for f**k all lol

Maybe should have read that earlier cause told them to go ahead and do it now, it's doing my head in full stop and just want it sorted. Told them on the phone that I want them to guarantee over the phone it will solve it and if they do and it goes faulty again then I want a full refund and they accepted so if it goes wrong at least ill get my money back. If it doesn't ill just be happy to get my car back in full working condition. Might send them the inside of the brand new DPF when it gets gutted and say thanks for f**k all lol

Hi Andy!
Im having the same issues as you with a a3 170tdi on an 07plate. The car has done 102k miles and got recalled on December the 10th. Since then dpf issues (never had them before) and the car has been back 4 times and they couldn't find anything. I dropped the car off last Wednesday (I got audi uk involved who were helpful sending me to another dealer for a fresh pair of eyes) and they had it for a week. Got a call off audi Manchester this afternoon to say my dpf has come to the end of its life it's tired! Think this is bullsh*t, when they did the recall my oil was rising after a week which I think will do the dpf in. They took the car back and replaced the injector seals. How did you get the dpf done at there cost?? There adamant I've got to pay for this!! There's phoning me back tomorrow (given me time to think about it) to see if I want to go ahead. Reading on here there is a lot of issues with this recall am now in the process of buying a run around till it gets sorted, at the end of the day THEY have wrecked my car and not admitting responsibility.

Well they agreed to pay for it in the end cause they pretty much exhausted every other avenue available.
I wouldn't waste your time, just get the DPF deleted, wish I'd done it sooner.
I'm booked in Friday to have it done.
It looks like the problem all along with mine was the previous owner had had the DPF deleted, I didn't know this so when Audi did the software update it wiped the delete off so with there not actually been anything inside the DPF the sensors were going mad and sending the light on and in turn limp mode.
I wasn't aware what the previous owner had done and Audi couldn't tell till my car was in pieces so just one of them things I suppose

Thanks Andy thinking of going down that root myself just concerned about running the car with diesel in the oil for a while. Who knows what damage it had already done. Would hate to have that done then the turbo goes. Just sent a sh*tty email to the head of Audi uk so see what he says. Let me know how you go on with dpf delete.
Regards
Glen