Audi A3 2.0 TDi ( 53 Plate ) Engine Trouble!

senser_pro

Reaction score
Hello everybody, this is the my first post so please go easy on me if I don't sound too knowledgeable!

I'll try to keep this concise. I have had an Audi A3 8P body, 3-door, 2.0TDI for just over a year. Yesterday I was driving my car towards a set of traffic lights in second gear at low revs. When the lights changed to amber I pressed on the accelerator to pass, but then there was a snapping sound which came from underneath the car, as though I had ran over something. The best way to describe this would be the sound that's made as if snapping a leather belt that goes around your waist to keep your trousers on! The car then juddered as if the car was struggling to go forward in gear and then a lot of white smoke started to pour from behind out of the exhaust pipe.

After I pulled over, I switched the engine off to let it settle until the smoke stopped. I checked underneath the car which showed nothing leaking or snapped as far as I could tell. I then tried to switch the engine back on but it wouldn't turn over at all. It just makes a single knock sound and will not turn. A friend had said to check the engine oil level which I hadn't done in a long time. I found that the level was too low beyond the measurable level of the dipstick. So I added 2 litres and it registered on the dipstick. I then tried to turn the engine over again and still the same sound.

The car is currently with a mechanic who says it will be approximately £800 for a replacement engine and £300 for labour.

As I am not at all mechanically minded, I would appreciate any thoughts and information people can give me on this issue.

I am also trying to look around for replacement engines myself but I am not sure of all of the different engines that my car can take. Can somebody respond with a list and engine codes if possible?

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any help you can give me.

If you can get a replacement 2.0TDI engine fitted for £1100 then snap his hand off !!! It costs £700 for a new turbo !

Hey mate, no i did not get any warning light at all! i have done in the past but i dont know why it wasnt working this time. The mechanic has not got back to me just yet, i only dropped it off to the garage today. And he just gave me a price off the top of his head. And the price he gave is for a USED engine, maybe a refurbed one, but i dont know. Any ideas on what it could be? I think my engine is a BKD by the way. If it does need an engine replacement, what other engines would fit?

Thanks for taking notice of my thread.

Well I've been told a few things from different people, some say it could have been the cam belt or the chain? Because it did sound like something Snapped underneath!. The car at the moment is on just over 104,000 miles. Ive had it since Last year February, and when i bought it, it was on 89,000 miles, so i have done quite a lot of driving since ive had the car. Cam belt has not been changed since I've had it either. But within the time Ive owned the car it has only been serviced just the once.

Sounds like cambelt to me, so will have done the valves in. If the pistons are OK, you should get away with new valves or a head, depending on the damage.

Plus new belt and water pump of course!

I'm not sure that if the cam belt snaps you hear the sound coming from under the car. More likely would come from the right side because that's where it is. Also, you can't see the oil level if you just shut off the engine. The oil is allover inside the engine.
When my turbo let down on me, I also checked the level and found that the dip stick is dry and pored about 1 liter I had in the trunk. After a couple of hours though, I've checked again and discovered that the level was above max.
Since youre saying that you saw smoke behind, see if the turbo is ok. The turbo is located low, behind the engine and if the axle snaps you may hear it from below.