5w30 vs 5w40?

G

_G_

I still thing that problem is too thin oil (or low viscosity in high temperatures), the whole oil system for 1.8 and 2.0 is the same (oil pump, oil cooler, etc.), but 2.0 has more power = more waste hot = hotter oil, so thiner oil (not in whole system, but locally).

You can look there: LIQUI MOLY - Motorenöle, Additive, Autopflege

You can find oils for 15000km/12 months change interval, you can use 5W40 too, only recommended oils of course.

I know it's not exactly the same, but I have had some oil lost too with 5W30, I have moved to 15000km/12 months change interval and to 5W40 oil, and no oil lost for 15000km (or exactly I've moved from LiquiMoly TopTec4200 to TopTec4100).

Is there any weight (no pun intended) to this theory/finding?

I'm burning around 200ml a month on my BWA / every 400 miles - I use 5w30

Interesting that my US spec 2011 2.0 TFSI, Audi calls for VW 502 5W-40.
was not aware that they recommended this in the USA?

Last edited by a moderator:
USA is a big country and so depending on where that post was from it could of been due to the climate... Florida is very different to some where like Maine or Montana...

I have the same engine and stick to 5w 30 oil. Mine uses around 1 litre per 2k miles so about the same. I do short journeys generally, but when it's been on a few runs the oil consumption goes down considerably once everything is burned off inside the engine....

cheers dude... my oil keeps going dirty afer 3k.. yeh its doing its job but i was just wondering if the 5w40 would have better properties in that respect.. im guessing itd be no good to me as there are some weeks where i do the odd short journey and im only 1/4 of the operating temp but having said that... i dont give it the boot either when its not properly warmed up.

my S3 2012 stage 2 is on 8,000 miles and it's only used 1 litre of oil.... and its not driven lightly at all!!

5/30 fully synthetic. castrol edge

:)