a3 2.0 tdi BKD 2004 smoke problem blue/black

chrisy t

Reaction score
Hi guys, a little bit concerned about my car chucking out smoke, it sometimes smokes under hard accelleration and sometimes smokes when your in a high gear and not using to many revs and just changing through the gears. The smoke is a blue/black colour. When the car is stood still you can rev it and it doesnt kick out anything, it only kicks out smoke when you are in gear. I also had the exhaust off today and noticed that when you put your fingers on the inside there was condensation and seemed abit oily, not much but your fingers were black when you ran them along the inside of the exhaust. I had a remap about 4000 miles ago and i never noticed the smoking before this!! Is this normal? The car is running sweet as a nut and no problems at all with it. Its just the blue/black smoke that is worrying me and its not really thick smoke its quite faint when you are driving and more of a bluey colour.

Should i be worried????

Would really appreciate some advice on this.

Cheers

Chris

Does it use much oil?

Blue is oil, white is water and black is fuel. I wouldn't worry about the 'finger' test, sounds normal.
If as you say, it's running as sweet as a nut, doesn't use water or oil and your fuel consumption is acceptable, don't worry! :thumbsup:

Maybe the map is little of, who mapped it?

Had it mapped bye mobileecu. Its a company not far from where i stay, they use alientech to map cars. Fuel consumption is great, i get about 550 miles to tank and when im being sensibly i get about 630 to a tank, so fuel isnt to bad after the map. Before i had the remap i found i might have to top up the oil once between services by half a litre or maybe a little more but i thought that was just normal, i thought all diesels used a little oil. I can take my car back and have the map reversed but really enjoying the extra power and im not getting any faults on VAG neither. Ive never had to top up my coolant level either. Had a recon turbo fitted 4 months before i had a remap and a new duel mass fly wheel clutch etc. My turbo seems fine, gives off a nice hissing sound when under load which i think is normal??

Cheers lads

Sounds like there might be a little too much fuel in the map but can be quite hard to get power without smoke without having the tools to mess around... There is a little saying no smoke no poke that the tuning industry loves to use :)

It is almost true but it normaly comes down to not being able to alter the map for that car and when you are trying for power the smokey side tends to be the slightly more powerful one.

Unless the smoke is all the time and not just on hard accelleration or going to get you pulled for looking like James Bond I would just get on and enjoy...

A