A3 3.2 2004 missfire

TrebleTA

Reaction score
I have a3 3.2 on a 2004 plate. I have no ECU warning lights etc.
I've started to get a missfire when idle you can see the drop in the rev's. its very random as will be fine then a drop an back to normal. the car pulls back an be jerky when driveing at a idle speed an when you increase speed it will go to charge off then hold back then charge off, also noticed when driveing an slow down sometime the revs are at 1100 ish then 4 sec laters will drop back to 700.
I taken it to audi an they changed the 6 coils due to recall.
The problem was still there. We put the car on the computer an he said could be my timing chain, but then he had a think an said no its not that as the reading was 7 an normal was 8 an -1 was the opp too saying it was warn instead like was tight.
After running the car on the computer it was showing problem with number 5 cylinder also minor on 3. not sure what test this was as was done as the car was running at idle.
From that he started saying it could be the injector but was not 100% on that.
I was wondering what you think.

If memory serves me correctly there is an ECU update for 3.2's that tackles the issues you mentioned, details are:

The TPI number is 2010289/3 (it is also worded gearbox judder poor acceleration when changing gears at high revs)

The SVM code for the update is 8P01A005

CD UPDATE DISC 4F0 906 961 N

Contact your local stealer with this info and your car details and they will be able to tell you if this update is applicable to your vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me, but it was audi testing it, when i was there i asked if there was anything like that an they said the system would updated automaticly if there was. I also said that there is a update but they acted like i was talking ball.

If anyone has had this done at a audi dealer in london or south ish please say what one. as i will call them.

Thanks for getting back to me, but it was audi testing it, when i was there i asked if there was anything like that an they said the system would updated automaticly if there was. I also said that there is a update but they acted like i was talking ball.

If anyone has had this done at a audi dealer in london or south ish please say what one. as i will call them.

Why don't the stealers want to know? I was adament that I was part of the "coil packs" campaign and Stratford Audi said that I was not, so did Coventry Audi and then Slough Audi turned around and did it all. Moral of the story... take it to a different stealer and yes you will get a different opinion in some cases but they may also bother to check and be more open about these updates.

Just because thereis no warning light on did they read the ecu codes?
I have similar problem with my 2003 3.2 and its coming up missfire cylinder 1 and 2, i swapped coil packs with 5 and 6 and still on 1 and 2 plus its looking like its my cam adjusters (already had chain replaced before i bought car).

As I said in my First post.
I taken the car to audi. they changed all the coil packs as of a recall free so all 6 now new. the problem was still there.
Audi then did a test on the car an got no errors. then they did a test with the car running. at first the reading for the timing chain was out by 1 but it was the opp way of saying warn but has a tollrance of 10 so well with in limits. we was getting errors with 3an 5.
Audi then said it could be the injectors but that was not 100% on that.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]I called Audi yesterday with regards to what CornRattle said. about the ECU update.
They found the cd and are willing to run the cd but he said my ecu was released after this updated so it should not be needed Or its him trying to cover his tracks.

But as I have just bought this car i have taken it back to my stealer Not Audi for then to get right else i get my cash back an look for a next car.

Also CornRattle when was on the phone to the audi engineer he said my SVM code is 8P01A007
if that's means anything?

As I said in my First post.

I called Audi yesterday with regards to what CornRattle said. about the ECU update.
They found the cd and are willing to run the cd but he said my ecu was released after this updated so it should not be needed Or its him trying to cover his tracks.

Time travel involved here then, the update only came out in December 2009 I think so unless your ECU has been changed recently then go back to them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. will have to get on to them about that then. at least he know the cd etc now think that helped alot. Thanks again an will keep you posted after I get my car back from my stealer. :)<br>
Also did the SVM code 8P01A007 mean anything, as u said 8P01A005?

I dont think it will cost if the ecu take's the update. If it fails then they may charge for there time. Best thing is to call them an speak to a engineer as the desk staff will not have a clue an see what they say. I'm still waiting to get my car back from this dealer. There still trying to say nothing is wrong yet told them what audi said. Also a note about the problem at first it seemed ok so know was not the ecu. It started after some bad weather, after I toped up on go go juice. I did think was the fuel but put 60 more in after running low of the ron98 an was still there. Happened about 100 mile's after getting the car.

does the update matter weather its dsg or manual

After 2 weeks at the, Trader I got the car back. They said there is nothing wrong!! yet you can hear the missfire, so am taking more action towards them. I have the car booked in to Audi for the ECU update on friday. They are looking at charging me for 30min so will be about £70. But am going see what happends as if the ecu takes the update I say well it was needed then etc like the golfs r32, an see what they say.

Let us know how you get on.. I have my doubts that the update will resolve anything.

Well once its done I will let you know, I'm also going to change the fuel filter. I have not look for it yet but is it under the car by the drivers rear wheel or is that the pump?

I don't think the update will solve your problem tbh as it only solves a slight hesitation in the rev range between 1.5/2k not at idle and not to the extent that yours is showing. I would say yours is more likely chains or vvt's.
I originally found the update on a German forum after trying for the best part of 6 months to get to the bottom of the misfire/hesitation. See this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...needed-3-2q-dsg-hesitant-engine-~-2k-rpm.html
Incidentally I had my chains and VVT's done under warranty, they were only showing 6/7 but were noisy and did need changing, it didn't solve my misfire though.

taken it to audi as planed an they have done the ECU update, it cost 60 + vat, also they said there was a auto gearbox update but mine was manual so not done.
The missfire was still there its like every 10-20 sec i'll get a single miss. I have now started looking at other thing e.g changed the fuel filter that was on the driver rear wheel side an was dated 2004. this has made the missfire less but it is still there. I also notice it seems to do it more when cold.

The chain was changed before I owned the car not long ago an there is no noise but when i have taken it to audi they have said MVB 208/209 Checked -1 camshaft on 7.0kw possible chain tensioners/chain. No faults stored. the engineer says its was fine an in the Torrance as was bit tight not lose. an then say its more likely the injector's.
But if the camshaft chain tensioner was sticking could it cause a missfire?

Newbee ive just brought a 3.2 and i have the dreaded 2000rpm hesitation? + when cold seems fine but when warm i get that, plus idle needle moves slightly ,not still at idle. had new timming chain 1500 miles ago new plugs getting coil packs friday !!!!!!!

Newbee ive just brought a 3.2 and i have the dreaded 2000rpm hesitation? + when cold seems fine but when warm i get that, plus idle needle moves slightly ,not still at idle. had new timming chain 1500 miles ago new plugs getting coil packs friday !!!!!!!

You've only just bought it and you have these issues?

Private sale?

Trader working from home sold as seen and all that, didnt notice it then seems a common prob thought on the audi ?

Having read all this there is no mention of new plugs been fitted. Even though the coil packs have been changed it could possibly be the plugs. LoudChris had very similar problem with his 2.0T DSG.....Ran great after a Shark stage 1 remap but then started to missfire on bank 3. Shark HQ booked it in and diagnosed the problem as coilpack/leads so everything was changed and now he's as happy as pig n poo. Turns out that the plugs had been in for quite some time. Worth a shot??

It a 2004 manual Had new plugs a week ago was serviced in march 2012 , getting new coil packs from audi friday on free recall.

Get the software update done ASAP, they are the exact same symptoms mine had before and after the chains were done!

Get the software update done ASAP, they are the exact same symptoms mine had before and after the chains were done!

Theres your answer OP.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Update. coil packs replaced under recall and ecu update done after a test run seems ok misfire gone, happy owner, my faith in audi restored for now lol.
big thx to audi(bedford) :sm4:

Update. coil packs replaced under recall and ecu update done after a test run seems ok misfire gone, happy owner, my faith in audi restored for now lol.
big thx to audi(bedford) :sm4:

Result!

:think:Audi fixed something???:blink:

Do you use Gilders at meadow head?

I can't say a bad word about them in the 18months I've been going there.

First time it went, they replaced my shabby looking key fob for a new one and didn't even mention it!

Do you use Gilders at meadow head?

I can't say a bad word about them in the 18months I've been going there.

First time it went, they replaced my shabby looking key fob for a new one and didn't even mention it!

Only been in for a few parts only stattler is allowed to work on mine!:ninja:
Need to get my coil packs changed but they won't give me them to fit they all want to book the car in! So my choices are hudd audi or sheffield or wakefield no matter which it goes to i will insist i watch them do the work.

The ecu update has made the car more nippy an low revs, but if you drive the car above 2k revs and cruse say in 4th gear not 6th in low speed areas. I get better mpg but have noticed I get about 5mpg more since the update, now doing 25 mpg in town.

I was told the plugs were changed when I got the car an when taken to audi they did say they tryed changing a plus see if any different.
1 thing I did do just after I got the car was take the air plastic housing off an cleaned, then look at the butterfly an it was black so use some carb cleaner an sprayed some in there an cleaned with a cloth.
Someone else say I may of damaged something by spraying the cleaning?

Also what is the sparkplug gap. is it 3.2m as notice mine have a big gap.

Last edited:
Update on Car syptoms, at moment it had a lumpy idle, an feel like its holding back when you floor it.

No replys were you all go!
I was thinking of changing the lambdas probes were the ecu has just been updated, an a bit of the update i think was for the lambda probes. could this be a cause. also am noticeing like a black carbon build up on the botton on the exhaust as it comes out the back an am getting like a knocking under the car like the exhaust is knocking could that be the earth strap? notice more when cold will get it up on a ramp

I would say your spark plug gap is a little excessive (3.2m) even 3.2mm is a big gap. When were the plugs changed last, I would change them if you are not sure on when they were done last. Before you change the lambada sensor have you had the car scanned with VCDS a lot of minor faults don't throw up the warning light on the dash.

1st scan car with VCDS
2nd fix any faults relating to your problem
3rd change plugs if you don't know when they were last done
4th make sure you do all of the above.

Thanks for the reply Shariain but i have had it scaned as i have said in the first post. Only problem is that the timeing chain is -1 else that is fine. The dealer tryed changing plugs with no luck etc.

But have found the bracket for the engine to exhaust (earth strap) just above the probes, like a metal coat hanger is snaped but very hard too see, i have put a heavy duty wire there now an what you know the car seems loads better. still early to say as only just notice.

1 other thing is the exhaust. has like a vac unit that controls the end pipe silence flap.
On tickover should it be open or closed.