RNS-E cleaning DVD laser lens

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
I have suffered just two times when my RNS-E has suddenly decided not to read the DVD. Seems to happen when the unit is really hot, although I cannot confirm that. I have seen advertised some DVD cleaning disks that have a microfibre brush which is said to brush off dust from the laser lens. Has any member had experience using one of these successfully, and if so what make or model was used? The RNS-E unit has been operating now for six years, so I would not be at all surprised if the lens needed cleaning.
Second question: How easy/difficult is it to gain access to the lens to clean it manually? Any advice/experience welcomed.

It is simplicity itself to clean it manually. Remove the nav disc then remove the unit from the dash. Disconnect the power and then remove the top (about 5 small screws IIRC). Lift the top off and the laser is pointing up towards you in full view. I use a cotton bud and a drop of meths. HTH

Thanks to Gary, I now know how to get to the laser lens. However, I would just like to try the cleaning disk method before I start lugging the whole unit out of the panel. Anyone tried a CD/DVD cleaning disk? If so, which model/make works best?

I had the same problem, got the cleaning disc from Richer Sounds, ran it through a few times works perfectly still a year later.

bumping an old thread.
does anyone know where i can get a decent cleaning kit from as my r-nse keeps overheating and not reading my disc

cheers

Reactions: 9secondlegend
bumping an old thread.
does anyone know where i can get a decent cleaning kit from as my r-nse keeps overheating and not reading my disc

cheers
It might be worth dropping @NHN a PM explaining your problem as he is the man that deals with those things and he is mighty good and knows his Sh*t

cheers guys

ive just got back from being away and driving there was hit and miss and had to re insert the disc a couple of times but coming home it worked a treat
i did clean it with a disc off ebay but i think the brushes protecting the slot wipe the alcohol off.
i expected it to fail on the way back as it pretty warm out there but all seemed ok. despite it going the long way round and into a traffic a jam that my wife has advised me about as she uses google maps and totaly doesnt trust the audi sat nav....proabaly for the best !

Shame a quick fix didn't work for you, my unit in my A4 did the same thing which is why I took it apart to clean the laser.
If you have not used copied disc's it maybe just very dirty and worth a go, hope you get it sorted.