Getting more from the 1.9 tdi

Dan Chandler

Reaction score
Bought my car a few days ago and thanks to some of the members here I have been finding out a little more about it.

Gave it a good clean today:

AfterCleanedPolish2.jpg

AfterCleanedPolish-1.jpg

I am after a bit more from the 1.9 though power wise. I can see a lot of recommendations begin with a remap which I will get round to when I have some spare cash to throw at it as I want it done properly. Are there any recommendations on air filters? Is it worth the money to buy a k&n panel filter and replace the standard one or does the difference between the two not warrant it? I’m not looking to put an exhaust on it but I wouldn’t mind a growl when I put my foot down so would that be an induction kit or whole new air intake system?

Also, the callipers need painting. At first I thought keep with standard black but now I’m leaning towards painting them red. Something about red and grey that go together well.

I know 99% of the people on the board will disagree with me on this but I have decided to keep the wing mirrors silver for two reasons:

1. I can’t find any dolphin grey wing mirrors on eBay
2. After looking at the car from the front I can see why the last owner went with silver, it does match with the grill nicely:

FrontGrill.jpg

I have dolphin grey and I use chrome mirror,it looks sexy and make the car stand out.

Nice car mate :icon_thumright:, remap a must do. Performance air filters and cold air induction kits are a waste of money on diesel. I recommend a back box delete for a bit of a growl noise.
Standard callipers are a bit small, highlighting them in red might not look too good. But you never know. I also have the silver wing mirrors , until I get the S3 chrome ones

Get those Audi rings on the side off too, they look pants.

Before spending on anything else get a remap.

Get those Audi rings on the side off too, they look pants.

Before spending on anything else get a remap.

Hahaha, I acutally like the rings, suprised you didnt mention the s-line badges. They will probably come off though to be honest.

Out of curiosity, how much will a remap cost me? I'v head stories about the clutch slipping if you take it from 105 to 140?

Ste_Nova where abouts are you located in Wales?

Im looking at local comapnys in Gloucestershire area and have been quoted £365 for a bluefin superchip? This seems rather expensive and I'm looking for a remap as opposed to a chip.

What warrents such a high premium for the superchip?

Got my 2.0 tdi remapped at Awesome Gti in Manchester.

They know their stuff, only took about 45 mins and cost £150!

Goes like ****** stink now. I'd say book in and have a drive up there. That way you get to 'test' your new power on the way back :)

Ps your car looks great.

Gary

Got my 2.0 tdi remapped at Awesome Gti in Manchester.

They know their stuff, only took about 45 mins and cost £150!

Goes like ****** stink now. I'd say book in and have a drive up there. That way you get to 'test' your new power on the way back :)

Ps your car looks great.

Gary

Cheers Gary, Yeah at the moment £250 is the cheapest i can get around Gloucester, might have to be a trip up to Manchester.

Sorry to jack your thread but I have a 1.9 tdi too and I'd be interested to know if I got an 'awesome' map how that would effect my clutch? Would I be better getting a heavy duty one or something as well as the map?

Sorry to jack your thread but I have a 1.9 tdi too and I'd be interested to know if I got an 'awesome' map how that would effect my clutch? Would I be better getting a heavy duty one or something as well as the map?

Is it worth upgrading the panel filter to a k&n jobby aswell before the map?

hi,

if its of help regarding remapping a 105 1.9, i have a 115K miler, i got it remapped at 95K to 135bhp & 240 ft/lbs. this is the original clutch and has been fine with no slipping (touch wood), mpg about the same (50 - 52 mpg), and keeps up with 2.0tdi 140's fine. only thing to watch is insurance, my insurance is loaded by around 15% due to remap, a lot of people don't inform insurance but i wanted to be 100% honest with insurance company.

cheers

mike

get a good quality remap nothing to aggresive and you should be fine with the clutch but as with all tuning the more stress you put your engine or drive train through it could cause you potential problems in the long run good luck with what you do