Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: S3 DSG Launch control

S3 (8P)

Status

S3 DSG Launch control

How do you do it?

Thought I might give it a whirl at Inters.
    And what does it rev to?

cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Sport or manual.

Disengage traction control

Left foot brake

Right foot on accelerator to he floor.

When ready, Sidestep left foot and let the car do the rest.

You will notice Upshifts are not so sharp, but it's a perfect start every time.

With he DSG flash it increases the launh RPM by 500

Enjoy
    S3 S-Back, Black Ed, Ibis, DSG, nav, buckets, folding mirrors, panoramic roof, park, adaptive, AMI, Tech Pack, non smoke pack, int light pack , Bose, VMR 710-19's et45, Eibach ARB Fr and Rear, H&R 25mm springs, light smoke tints. Mirrors Colour coded. Shark Stg 1

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by darren_wheeler View Post
    Sport or manual.

Disengage traction control

Left foot brake

Right foot on accelerator to he floor.

When ready, Sidestep left foot and let the car do the rest.

You will notice Upshifts are not so sharp, but it's a perfect start every time.

With he DSG flash it increases the launh RPM by 500

Enjoy
    Top man cheers.

Did this earlier but the car only went to 3000rpm?
    Doesn`t seem enough to give an optimum launch

I guess if you put it in Manual for the launch then shift up with the paddles to 2nd, 3rd etc.. then you will get a sharper gearchange.

Would this be the best approach for Sprinting?

Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

2nd Gear

Status
    how do you get the dsg flash?
    Audi a3 3.2 v6 sport back ,s-line, Dolphin Grey with factory tints, deg sat nav, bose speakers, 18 upgraded alloys, magnaflow exhaust, eibach pro kit springs

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    How can you own S3 Stronic and not know how to do this? I did it the within the first hour of picking the new car up!!!
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Neutral

Status
    A few of the mapping companies now do a map for the DSG. It raises the launch rpm, and disengages the auto up shift as well as increases the limiter to 7200. I went with Shark stg 1 and the DSG map. Definitely worth the £
    S3 S-Back, Black Ed, Ibis, DSG, nav, buckets, folding mirrors, panoramic roof, park, adaptive, AMI, Tech Pack, non smoke pack, int light pack , Bose, VMR 710-19's et45, Eibach ARB Fr and Rear, H&R 25mm springs, light smoke tints. Mirrors Colour coded. Shark Stg 1

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by discostu49 View Post
    how do you get the dsg flash?
    HPA DSG flash is the only one I trust. Dongle is sent to you. Flashing takes one hour with a pc and interweb connection. then send back dongle.. easy peasy

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    How can you own S3 Stronic and not know how to do this? I did it the within the first hour of picking the new car up!!!
    I`ve been too busy wafting in D....chewing on Werthers originals
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

4th Gear

Status
    I have a 2012 S3 with DSG and I have not tried it yet. Mainly as because more than 3 "launches" between service intervals invalidates the warranty

I also have it on good authority that this is checked as a rule during a service......
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

Neutral

Status
    I have a 2012 S3 with DSG and I have not tried it yet. Mainly as because more than 3 "launches" between service intervals invalidates the warranty

I also have it on good authority that this is checked as a rule during a service......
    Not sure if that's true - why would it void the warranty? Its not in the manual for the RS3 anyway. Where did you hear it from?

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by greg1903 View Post
    Not sure if that's true - why would it void the warranty? Its not in the manual for the RS3 anyway. Where did you hear it from?
    +1.

Where is this stated?
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

4th Gear

Status
    I was told by my dealer originally. I then posted the question in a thread on here somewhere, will look in a minute for it, and the answer from someone who was a technician in the VAG group confirmed this. I then asked a mate who was an Audi technician up until last year and he confirmed this too.
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

4th Gear

Status

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    I've been told from my friend who worked at VW up until last month that this is very much true.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

4th Gear

Status
    There really is no reason for my dealer to tell me this if it is not the case as far as I can see. At the end of the day, he didn't have to tell me.. It would be Audi UK I would be arguing with if they declined a warranty claim due to too many launches.

I have no doubt that it is true.. not sure where it is documented though.

IMO I won't be using it, no real point.. unless your drag racing of course.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brgsstm View Post

What a load of cr*p. I've done launches at least once a day for the past year and half and had a number of things sorted under warrenty (and my car is at S2+) and no issues with services.

Why do people on here buy S3's and then drive them like they have a Tdi Focus?
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

S3 (8P)

Status
    If its not clearly stated in your user manual then it doesnt matter what the dealer says about launch control and frequency of use.
    I would love to see the clause that states this.

Not that I would have the inclination to go and read it

Besides, looks like Silky`s experience debunks a potential myth?

cheers
    Paul
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Whats the point in having launch control if you cant use it whenever you like. Seems a little odd to me........next they will be saying anything above the national limit and your warranty is void as we all stick to the limits.......dont we

Short Back

Status
    Revs are held at 3200 during 'launch' standby to prevent redlining whilst waiting for the green light and limit wheelspin\torque steer ...I believe.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    If you like your car or intend to keep it 3 launches is three to many. I tried it once but as an engineer it made me cringe as the !! bang/clang !! shot through the box , prop shaft ,drive shafts, uj's and i checked my mirrors to see what was left in the road....point is...Is a fraction of a second really that important to anyone on the road ? and while the warranty might hold up for most things i doubt if your DSG falls off Audi would be very sympathetic..

Just because something does something doesn't always mean its a good idea to do it . You can poke yourself in the eye, your arm has a pointy finger on the end and i can supply instructions but it doesn't make it a good idea......Roll up at the hospital where you were born and try and get it fixed under warranty, yer going to look pretty silly !! look i have instructions on how to do it so i did it nurse......doh.
    Artimus likes this.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    What a load of cr*p. I've done launches at least once a day for the past year and half and had a number of things sorted under warrenty (and my car is at S2+) and no issues with services.

yes silky.. launches are not just for astronauts
    I have done loads, and audi said nowt at the service.. they cannot put a feature on a car and expect you not to use it!
    And for the record, if i did have a tdi focus I would rag the absolute mothers out of it

But then I have also poked myself in the eye numerous times in my life.. so I must be "doing it wrong"
    Red is the colour..

4th Gear

Status

No, ^^ that's the load of crap to me lol!

I'm just passing on what I have been told, choose what you want to do with it but please don't make out I am bull ****ting!

and who say's i drive mine like a focus?? If you think it's cool to sit at the lights with your car revving it's ass of then fair play to you, your obviously much cooler than me

Status
    I think in a nutshell VW/Audi will look at the stats on your car and if you are trying to claim a clutch pack after 6k or something immediately related to launch control, perhaps a drive shaft, this will not be covered.

Which frankly....fair enough, its not exactly a pleasant experience, for driver nor car, and god it pauses for ages after letting off the brake anyway! best off just playing catch up, more fun i find!

Yes its a wearing part i hear you say, so it wont be covered by warranty anyway, but hell sometimes VW/Audi do take pitty and at least offer to pay some of it, particularly if your a good customer. However i cant see them paying any of it when you've been doing racing starts, they will know...
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

S3 (8P)

Status
    Might just get the bus to Inters now, just in case my engine falls out and an alien comes down and pokes me in the eye ........
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Might just get the bus to Inters now, just in case my engine falls out and an alien comes down and pokes me in the eye ........
    mate, no good, buses are now fitted with launch control haha

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    No, ^^ that's the load of crap to me lol!

I'm just passing on what I have been told, choose what you want to do with it but please don't make out I am bull ****ting!

and who say's i drive mine like a focus?? If you think it's cool to sit at the lights with your car revving it's ass of then fair play to you, your obviously much cooler than me
    I am pretty cool

If you think 3.5k is revving its arse off, I'm pretty sure you do drive it like a Focus! 24.3mpg in a S3? Do you get it out of 1st?

Build Thread Here!

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    I think in a nutshell VW/Audi will look at the stats on your car and if you are trying to claim a clutch pack after 6k or something immediately related to launch control, perhaps a drive shaft, this will not be covered.

Which frankly....fair enough, its not exactly a pleasant experience, for driver nor car, and god it pauses for ages after letting off the brake anyway! best off just playing catch up, more fun i find!

Yes its a wearing part i hear you say, so it wont be covered by warranty anyway, but hell sometimes VW/Audi do take pitty and at least offer to pay some of it, particularly if your a good customer. However i cant see them paying any of it when you've been doing racing starts, they will know...
    How do you know the car even counts have many times launch control is used? I have never seen any measuring blocks in VCDS that relate to this?

Build Thread Here!

4th Gear

Status
    I am pretty cool

If you think 3.5k is revving its arse off, I'm pretty sure you do drive it like a Focus! 24.3mpg in a S3? Do you get it out of 1st?
    Lol, ok you win

I will deduct some man points from myself

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Lol, ok you win

I will deduct some man points from myself

Lol, only jesting mate

Build Thread Here!

4th Gear

Status
    Lol, only jesting mate
    I know

On a serious note though, i can't understand why they would tell me that though if it were not true?

If you guy's aren't having any issues then maybe its only checked on related warranty claims? Again I don't know, jut what I was told.

On a journey...

Status
    I've only used Launch Control occasionally. It's a great feature to have for those really essential traffic light GPs and I find myself wishing for a red light sometimes...but unless the road ahead is a 60+mph limit, straight and I have 100% visibility, I think it's an almost impossible feature to use safely.

If I do use it, I get set up ready to go (as described earlier) but then wait to see if it's actually needed in the event.

Anyway; there aren't many situations where I find pressing the accelerator a touch harder in "D" lacking - let alone "S" or using Launch Control!
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

jsh
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    I've only used Launch Control occasionally. It's a great feature to have for those really essential traffic light GPs and I find myself wishing for a red light sometimes...but unless the road ahead is a 60+mph limit, straight and I have 100% visibility, I think it's an almost impossible feature to use safely.

If I do use it, I get set up ready to go (as described earlier) but then wait to see if it's actually needed in the event.

Anyway; there aren't many situations where I find pressing the accelerator a touch harder in "D" lacking - let alone "S" or using Launch Control!
    Ive used it on occasions and I have to say that the bloody car is completely out of control when you do it! Feels much better to stick it in sport and boot it
    And back again
    A4 2.0TDi S-Line Cab (2009) Dolphin Grey, Black Fine Nappa, RNS-E DVD Nav, Bluetooth Phone Prep

Gone....
    S3 Sportback S-tronic (2010) Ibis White

Going going..... Gone! (and very much missed)
    A4 2.0TDi S-Line Cab (2007) Dolphin Grey, Black Fine Nappa, RNS-E DVD Nav, Bluetooth Phone Prep

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    I for one love it.. especially not being able to see the road while holding the brake on .....
    Red is the colour..

S3 (8P)

Status
    I am assuming there is no other way of doing a standing 1/4 in a DSG with launch control?
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

1st Gear

Status
    On the subject of the S3's launch control, are you guys also disappointed with the amount of lag between releasing the brake and actually launching?

Had a go with launch control in an RS3 the other day and it launches instantly! Almost shat myself cause I was expecting the same sort of lag
    Last edited by Acheron; 20th June 2012 at 09:12.

Current: 2010 Audi S3 Sportback S-tronic
    Ex: 2007 Audi A3 Sportback - 2.0T DSG
    Ex: 2008 Opel Corsa OPC
    Ex: 2004 Opel Corsa Lite
    Ex: 1978 VW Beetle

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
    On the subject of the S3's launch control, are you guys also disappointed with the amount of lag between release the brake and actually launching?

Had a go with launch control in an RS3 the other day and it launches instantly! Almost shat myself cause I was expecting the same sort of lag
    i feel your pain sir....

4th Gear

Status
    Is it lag you are seeing or the hill hold assist? I've not used launch but I notice that when I am at lights and let off the brake, there is a lag there too.

RPB
    1st Gear

Status
    That lag is indeed hill hold assist if your car has it. Delays rollback for 5 secs or until a touch of gas pedal. I have learned to live with it. Lol
    2011 61 plate S3 SB BE DSG - Shark Stage 1 + DSG

Status
    Is it lag you are seeing or the hill hold assist? I've not used launch but I notice that when I am at lights and let off the brake, there is a lag there too.
    i think the ECU isnt quite quick enough to process the request instantly. it's probably XP deep inside there and is probably waiting to end a previous task!!!!

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    It's definitely slower to launch than the rs3... on my a3 tfsi quattro there is a definitely a marked, brief hesitation between brake release and launch... which is different to when hill hold assist engages, as it wont let you do a launch properly and revs only to 1500rpm ish and pulls against the brake.. i have found no way of launching up hills yet, anyone who has please share, as i'm not disabling my HHH - I find it too useful.
    Red is the colour..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast