Lowering springs advice

MxGaza33

Reaction score
Since I got a new set of wheels on my 05 Sline Quattro I've been considering lowering it, from searching on here it seems that H&R or Eibach is the way to go but they only seem to do 35mm lowering springs for the quattros which I can't see making much of a difference as the Sline is already lowered slightly. 50mm seems to next step if I can find some, but I'm not sure if this is too low and will cause the arches to scrub? I've also got a towbar on the car, so if I lowered it would towing be out of the question?

Thanks

Hmm not a fan of coil overs, ruin the ride unless you fork out a lot of £££. Out of interest why is a 50mm drop safe on 2WD but not so much on 4WD? From what I can gather the Slines are lowered by 20-25mm, so I would be dropping it a further 25-30mm. Just incase my first post seemed like I was planning on dropping it a further 50mm from Sline height.

Last edited:
Oh I see. Well if coil overs are my only option, how much would I have to spend on a set to achieve a ride equal or better than standard? I've been in a car with a set of under £200 coil overs and they were very harsh to say the least.

I think this is one of those confusing cases of how the drop is measured. If you're looking for 50mm drop from standard, that's only something like 25mm from S3 height iirc, so surely the H&R 25mm S3 springs would give you the drop you're after (being 25mm down from S3 height, or 50mm down from standard, and 35mm down from S-Line).

I think it's standard (say 0mm) - down 15mm to S-line - another 10mm to S (25mm so far) - +25mm springs = 50mm drop.

Right? Someone help me out here?

What your saying makes sense, but I guess it depends whether S3 springs fit an A3 in the first place!

You'd also have to get matching dampers. No way a 50mm drop would work with standard dampers.