Top end Coilovers

Which top end coilovers should I go for?

• KW Variant 3 Inox line

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Bilstein B16 PSS10

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • neither - I'll let you know in the comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MartayMcFly

Booooooost
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
OK, ever since I lowered my car on H&R springs I've been happy with the ride height, but not the ride itself. The dampers are poorly matched to the shorter springs, so the car bounces around a lot over even slightly uneven roads (or "everywhere", as the case is in Aberdeen). I think rather than forking out maybe £500-700 for uprated dampers, and then probably having to buy new lowering springs (if only for peace of mind), I may as well go for coilovers.

Thing is, spending that sort of money on 'budget' coilovers doesn't really make sense. I want the car to handle well, ride (relatively) smoothly, and sit at more or less the height it is at now. I don't want to worry about coating, greasing and maintaining the coilovers, so the likes of V-Maxx etc are out. Proper budget ones aren't going to be worth the money, so JOMs etc are out too, and I want performance matching handling, so I may as well go for "the best".

Bottom line, I want KW V3s, but what about B16-PSS10s? When the S3 first came out they were THE coilovers to have. Are they past it now, and V3s have taken the crown, or is there a 3rd option I don't know about? Budget would be ~£1500 (including fitting) so they both fit the bill.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also, no votes for "air" please... not going to be spending £5k on anything any time soon.

If money was no object it would be Proflex or something similar,but the kW's offer a good percentage of that.

Thats spooky that is............have spent all afternoon milling over my dilemma which is very similar.............coilovers or lowering springs to go with the new wheels Im getting delivered on Tuesday. Want it all done before the 1st July. Dont want to spend a small fortune as getting married in September so might go for just springs to start with......answers on a postcard.

Go for the KVs, the inox will withstand the salt in the winter over time. I have the V2s and are very happy with the ride, should have gone to the v3 though, would have made it easier to find the right setup.

Thats spooky that is............have spent all afternoon milling over my dilemma which is very similar.............coilovers or lowering springs to go with the new wheels Im getting delivered on Tuesday. Want it all done before the 1st July. Dont want to spend a small fortune as getting married in September so might go for just springs to start with......answers on a postcard.

I picked up the springs I have simply because they were going cheap and I had new wheels on the way, but it was just temporary until I figured out what I wanted to do in the long-run (and until I had some money to put towards it). I've just bought a flat, so should really be spending money on that, but I don't want to be putting everything I have into it, and things like a spare bed and a new coffee table can wait a few months anyway. Coilovers are long over due.

I voted for Bilstein. KW are fragile on poor roads . Also Bilstein are much more easy to adjust. Just my opinion, not necessarily an absolute true..

Speak to G at GNj he has nice deals on coilovers. I think he had bilisten for like £750. Really good ones aswell

Reactions: GNJ_Motorsport
I voted for Bilstein. KW are fragile on poor roads . Also Bilstein are much more easy to adjust. Just my opinion, not necessarily an absolute true..
new kw coilovers are easy to adjust too. seems that they changed the way to adjust them. take a look over the web. and are not fragile on poor roads. got them over a year now, and the roads here are really crappy. before that my friend had them for a year or two on his s3. whatever he gets they are top quality products and he will be pleased.

I think the perceived fragility is unwarranted.
We have some of the worst potholes I've ever seen locally,including one that I honestly thought was going to ruin the wheel let alone the strut,and over 30 000 miles so far,the kWs have been good,but I do agree,they are not the easiest to adjust,and require a LOT of time to get just right.

I vote for KW V3's any day!!!
Need to be adjusted couple of times to suit your needs
but you will notice a big difference even from factory settings
compare wit your dampers and H&R's!
I tried B16-PSS10s in my mates S3,they are very nice piece of kit
but i do prefer my KW's much more!

It's a difficult choice between 2 excellent kits.

The V3 are a bit cheaper. I can't really call it to be honest! I think I'd go for the Bilsteins, just. For no other reason than I have heard very good things about them on the S3 but not too many reports, good or bad, for the S3.

If you want prices just drop me a PM.

I'll let the poll run for the 7 days I set it to, then ignore the result and go for the Billys. Probably. Will make my final decision after payday (28th), and PM you with the result, Graeme/Graham (sorry, don't remember which spelling you are).

I think the perceived fragility is unwarranted.
We have some of the worst potholes I've ever seen locally,including one that I honestly thought was going to ruin the wheel let alone the strut,and over 30 000 miles so far,the kWs have been good,but I do agree,they are not the easiest to adjust,and require a LOT of time to get just right.

Well coming from the H&R springs, and wanting similar height but better ride, I'll be fitting them at the highest setting (-25mm) and middle-stiffness and work from there.