206 GTI

Japper

Ibis S3 Fan Club
Reaction score
What do the std GTI's put out ?, is it 150bhp. I know there is the 180 version.

Just had one behind me going through the village. Sat at 40 until bang on the open limit sign and then booted it. He had pulled slightly out as if he had contemplated overtaking as I booted it. By the time we hit...cough 110 down a nice sweeper of a clear road I had 6-7 car lengths on him. By the time I had taken the twisties at the end and slowed and taken the large off camber roundabout to join the Dually, he was not a contender.

Nice to know that once in a while a 'Quality' and 'sensible' car has the turn of speed and decent enough handling to show a clean pair of heels to the GTI crowd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like he was a bit of a woose as they're a decent handling motor.

I test drove a Gti a couple of years ago and the wife owned a 1.1 one for a while.
( Aberdeen to Ipswich in a 1.1 206 is no fun...foot to the floor all the way ).

However,they are a nightmare to drive if you're a decent size bloke.

The pedal/wheel arrangement is all wrong.The pedals especially are way too close together.

Far too easy to stand on the brake at the same time as the accelerator,or the brake at the same time as the clutch.

I'm only a size 9 too !

Yeah,it was the 138 I test drove.
Pretty quick.
Doesn't exactly have a lot to pull though,does it !
The 180 must be well rapid.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like he was a bit of a woose as they're a decent handling motor.

I test drove a Gti a couple of years ago and the wife owned a 1.1 one for a while.
( Aberdeen to Ipswich in a 1.1 206 is no fun...foot to the floor all the way ).

However,they are a nightmare to drive if you're a decent size bloke.

The pedal/wheel arrangement is all wrong.The pedals especially are way too close together.

Far too easy to stand on the brake at the same time as the accelerator,or the brake at the same time as the clutch.

I'm only a size 9 too !

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, he was definately going for it, as I said he had thought about pulling out. The speeds we were doing could be taken flat, so no skill on the straight.

I had forgot they are only 138 but factor in the weight and he had a good 10-15% advantage on power / weight.

The A3 is so stable at high speed though, far better than the Golf or TT or Focus. And since I changed the tyre pressures it really is flickable on the slower stuff even in the wet.

What tyre pressures you using Japper ? Assuming you have 17" ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifAlloys of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But tyre wear now that you changed pressure is greater, right?

[ QUOTE ]
What tyre pressures you using Japper ? Assuming you have 17" ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifAlloys of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

31/32 F and 34/35 R.

The ride dosen't suffer as much at the rear as you may think. Tyre noise gets better, feel improves and the car just flows with a very nuetral balance. Lift off oversteer available easily on slower roundbouts and power drifts available on certain corners.

The only downside I see is increased tyre wear, but I've covered 3-4k since doing this and the rears aren't wearing much quicker, and the fronts not noticed any difference.

Should be set up like this from factory.

I'll have a go at that, its almost on the "full load pressures" which is how I set a few of me previous cars, but have not tried it with this one.

I did try to check the pressures the other day. I bought some of the metal dust caps (some bastad, nicked the rear 2 after a week) and cant get the front ones off now. Sprayed them with unilease and will have another go tonight when I get home...cant you see I'm working...

[ QUOTE ]
I'll have a go at that, its almost on the "full load pressures" which is how I set a few of me previous cars, but have not tried it with this one.

I did try to check the pressures the other day. I bought some of the metal dust caps (some bastad, nicked the rear 2 after a week) and cant get the front ones off now. Sprayed them with unilease and will have another go tonight when I get home...cant you see I'm working...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's 1 psi within Audi's high load pressures, so still within spec. Saves you upping them if you need to throw people / luggage in the back.....another bonus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bllody hell, I can't get my dust caps off. Bought 4 ally ones a while ago, the rears got nicked within a week, and the fronts wont come off. Spent the whole weekend with a can of unilease and they wont budge. Might have to do a post for ideas.......

How about a monkey to take them off too?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif