Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Help for hopefully a newbie

Hi guys

I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some advice please.

I am looking for an s3 and have seen a 56 plate car with 48k miles for £14k. I am planning on viewing the car over the weekend and was wondering if there were any particular things i need to look out for? Also since the S3's came out in 2006 was there any particualr faults affecting the earlier cars? And would you buy an S3 on mileage as opposed to age of the car, i.e. would i be better looking at a 07/57 plate car with more miles??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Adam.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Good morning Adam, welcome to ASN. Where are you located? I have put a link in for you to read, lots of information in there. Hope you enjoy the forum. x

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-s...ions-faqs.html
    Smaller (Local) Events
    Audi-Sport.net online magazine.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    As long as its been well looked after and serviced then I cant see there being a problem. Both 06 plate and 07/57 are what we call 8P2 S3's with 265 PS. A very reliable car and sooo much fun to drive. I can't recall any major things to look for but if there are someone will be along shortly to advise you on what to look for. I had an 08 plate S3 and it never missed a beat.........lovely car and I ended up trading it in for a 2012 S3 and I cant see myself buying any other marque in the future.

Bird is the Word!

Status
    Adam, my S3 is a 56 plate with 36k miles. The mileage you're looking at is still fairly low for the age so no problem. For that price it should be pretty immaculate. Make sure the following has been done:

1. Haldex (4wd system) oil and filter change at 40k miles
    2. Cambelt and water pump at 5 yr / 50I miles.

Known problems: coil packs may go on cylinders, relatively quick and cheap fix. Watch put for blue smoke which may indicate a thrashed turbo = expensive!
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys i'll bear those things in mind, I am based in the Midlands.

So I guess age is'nt that much of a concern as long as its got a full service history. My last car was an e46 m3 so am aware that running costs can be on the high side, but as a rough idea is the S3 usaeble on a daily basis (for example in all weather conditions, the m3 was useless with even the slightest covering of snow) and what is fuel consumption like in real life coniditions, just to give you some idea £20 in the m3 used to get me 50 miles an I expecting similar in the S3?

Thanks again.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s123 View Post
    Thanks guys i'll bear those things in mind, I am based in the Midlands.

So I guess age is'nt that much of a concern as long as its got a full service history. My last car was an e46 m3 so am aware that running costs can be on the high side, but as a rough idea is the S3 usaeble on a daily basis (for example in all weather conditions, the m3 was useless with even the slightest covering of snow) and what is fuel consumption like in real life coniditions, just to give you some idea £20 in the m3 used to get me 50 miles an I expecting similar in the S3?

Thanks again.
    I moved from an E46 M3 to my S3 early this year. Much nicer car to live with than the M3 IMO. It feels planted all the time where as the M3 would feel a little scary in certain weather conditions. I've never driven the S3 in the snow but it certainly isn't phased by the current monsoon I've just been driving around in. Standing water everywhere.
    The cabin is also a much nicer place to be than the dated E46 cabin. The only thing I miss about the M3 is the utter drama everytime you gun it. That metallic rasp was insanely addictive. S3 sounds ok in standard form though, no doubt better with an aftermarket exhaust system.
    As for fuel, it's not much better than the M3 I owned, though I'm hoping it will improve as my car is still pretty new.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    just to give you some idea £20 in the m3 used to get me 50 miles an I expecting similar in the S3?

Thanks again.
    i did a test just last week.

Mixed driving A roads and B roads, hardly any town, 48 miles cost me £15.

this was at the same petrol station i orignally filled up at too. filled to the first click each time.

21mpg i think i worked it out too.

drive like a daisy, it improves....but its hard with these things....
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi guys,

Having had a look around I cant seem to find the right car, either not in great condition or high miles therefore have decided to up my price. Soooo that brings me to my next question is not having a sat nav a big issue in terms of the sellability and value of the car??

Thanks a lot for your help.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi guys,

Having had a look around I cant seem to find the right car, either not in great condition or high miles therefore have decided to up my price. Soooo that brings me to my next question is not having a sat nav a big issue in terms of the sellability and value of the car??

Thanks a lot for your help.
    It's very easy to add the sat nav later if the car you are looking at has a double DIN stereo - straight swap and they are about 500 quid for a decent second hand one.
    2008 Audi S3 Manual