Fitting steering control module without steering angle sensor

Pricy

Reaction score
Managed to pick up a cheap complete steering column on ebay with MFSW, cruise control stalk and steering control module. Obviously from a crashed car as everything was covered in airbag dust when it arrived.

When I took the column to bits I noticed there was no steering angle sensor where it normally sits. Also there are no pins in the control module to accept a sensor so I assume this is off a vehicle that has the sensor as part of the electro mechanical steering assist.

Steering Angle Sensor
  • Yes: The Steering Angle Sensor (G85) is installed directly at the Steering Wheel/Slip Ring.
  • No: The Steering Angle Sensor (G85) is part of the Electro Mechanical Steering Assist.

I can't give the part number as someone has scratched it off (A bit weird :shrug:) but I'm just wondering what to expect if I fitted this to my car? Would it royally **** the power steering or just throw up an ESP fault?

Cheers, didn't want to rush in and do it if it was likely to kill my PAS till I buy the correct module.

do you have the part number of the electronic control module as that would also help to say what it has? or if not what year is that steering rack from and what year car do you have?

Just fitted it all everything works apart from the self centring of the wheel isn't as light as it used to be when driving. I assume that's down to the steering angle sensor being disconnected. I can live with that until I get the correct module.

do you have the part number of the electronic control module as that would also help to say what it has? or if not what year is that steering rack from and what year car do you have?

The steering column has 12/03 stamped into it which I assume means its from an 2003/2004 tiptronic (it has flappy paddles) model. My cars a 2007, like I say everything works apart from the steering feels a bit weird which I think the correct module with the plug for the steering angle sensor on my steering wheel (this module has the plug but doesn't have any pins inside it)

mate if you want a control module to do the mfsw on an audi a3 before 2009 then you need 8P0 953 549 E or 8P0 953 549 F
no other control module has been found that will support MFSW.
the 1K0 modules are from golfs which support the basic steering and cruise control

mate if you want a control module to do the mfsw on an audi a3 before 2009 then you need 8P0 953 549 E or 8P0 953 549 F
no other control module has been found that will support MFSW.
the 1K0 modules are from golfs which support the basic steering and cruise control

Ah ****, I assumed because the one I took off my car was a 1K0 953 549 AH (midline) that they were interchangeable with any 1K0 parts on that list.

well dont worry, if you have the right module from the other steering rack then it should all work. do you not have VCDS? you can just run a scan on the car and find out what that module once you have it plugged in.

Good thinking!!

So the module I had on the car to begin with (no MFSW or cruise) was 1K0 953 594 AH
According to VCDS the module I've just installed which came off of a column with MFSW, cruise and flappy paddles is 8p0 953 594 K

ok so that explains the lack of steering sensor... the module is from a facelift model car... 2009+
the newer cars have the steering module built in and thus it wont properly work in your car.
you need an F rev control module... your old steering sensor will work with the F rev controller

ok so that explains the lack of steering sensor... the module is from a facelift model car... 2009+
the newer cars have the steering module built in and thus it wont properly work in your car.
you need an F rev control module... your old steering sensor will work with the F rev controller

Ahhhhh that makes sense now, thanks Ash you've got me there in the end! Haha