Air filter for 2.0 FSI

I

imported_tobycruse

Hi everyone,

I did make a post about this ages ago but I had a few more questions.

Will installing a different air filter make any difference?

I was told to stay clear of the oil based filters like k&n because it damages the air flow meter, if this is the case why do k&n make filters that do that??? Which filters should i buy?

Oh, and in the engine bay there is a cover on where the air filter is, would removing this increase flow of air to the engine? Improve responce? Why is the cover there?

Any help would be much appriacated!

Toby

I think it's more a case of over oiled filters can damage your MAF, rather than they all will.

After the filter has been cleaned and re-oiled it should not look wet, it should be just damp, over oiling them has always been a problem, just that with different types of MAF, there are different results.

Of course, all this is IMO, and you takes your chances with any aftermarket products, especially if ur car is still under warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for the info!

The only thing i still dont understand is why is there a plastic cover on the air filter? In some cars the air filter is exposed, would it be ok to do this in my car?

Most likely not, T Cruse. It will probably allow in more hot air from the engine compartment, resulting in a net loss of power.

Admittedly yours is not a turbo but I've been on 2 rolling road sessions now where cars with the OEM airbox ran better figures than modded cars. Audi do seem to have quite a good design of airbox with a cold feed from the front. What makes you think you can improve on it???

I didnt say i could do better i just wanted to know why it was there.

I will get the new filter anyway and see how the car responds......

Cupramax, I'd have to partially disagree: Yes the Audi design is good:
- good volume (around 5 liters),
- front feed from high-pressure zone
- quiet.

However,

- the front feed is actually not "fully connected". You still draw air from right behind the radiator,
- the paper element, while inexpensive, is more restrictive than foam or cotton,
- it's too quiet for some.

T Cruse, please let us know what you end up going for; cheers.

Hi all, Iv come back from halfords today and i have ordered the k&n air filter. Cost me £60, didn't think it was going to be that much!

But for the last 2 days i have driven with the plastic cover off the filter and it is so much better! Why is this? This is still only the paper filter! I have a powerflow exhaust also and the sound it just gorgeous! In the low rpm it is deep but quiet but anything past 4000rpm is lovely, this deep puuuuuuuur!

I was always disappointed by the sound of my car, so tinny, nothing in it, but now its a pleasure to drive with the windows down! I would highly suggest anyone who wants there car to sound nice..... do the same! Watch this space!

Where did you get the exhaust from and how much did it cost ?

I got the exhuast from my local powerflow dealer and it set me back about £400, i was ripped off apparently, it would nowmally be about £280 or £300 me thinks. But that did make the biggest difference!

Without the top on your airbox you'll get water in the filter/engine when its wet due to spray in the engine compartment. Could be reallybad. The cover/duct pulls air from a dry-ish area (near rad for warm air, better in winter, not so good for performance)

Air inlets on non turbo cars are all about resonant length & volume rather than restriction to help get more air in the engine at the right rpm. Manufacturers don't just look at power but noise / fuel econ etc.

Still like to know how the K&N goes. (£60 is cheap, I remeber paying £150 for my mark 1 XR2 filter in 1992!!!)

T Cruse - is the exhaust back box large - is it bigger than the standard one - Is it possible you could post picture please ?

The powerflow exhaust has two back boxes, one large and one smaller..... Will try and get some pics for you. I see about the filter cover...... So would u recomend to keep the cover on when its raining and when its hot and dry keep it off?

Halfords phoned today and said they have the air filter in..... Watch this space!

[ QUOTE ]
I see about the filter cover...... So would u recomend to keep the cover on when its raining and when its hot and dry keep it off?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose so, but what do you do - pull over on the hard shoulder to re-fit your air box cover when its starts raining?? A tad impractical.

Been to halfords, put the air filter in asap and off i went.......
The sound is only very slightly different, but very nice......
The performance of the car isnt that different but the throttle responce is so much better! In 3rd the car is much sharper to react, much more pokie and in 2nd it just flys now..... Overtaking is grat fun as u roar past!

The sound plus the added poke its a lot of fun for £60

I still have the cover off the air filter, will try to get some recordings for u lot, with and without. Stay tuned....

I have been driving with the top of the airfilter off my car since day one, and have had no problems.. I check it regulalary and there is no damp or anything strange looking.
And I agree it does sound great with the Powerflow and chip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

graffiti.JPG

side.JPG

graffiti2.JPG

2.0FSI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, i have the 2 movie files for the sound of the air filter and the exhuast..... Who can host them for me?? If you can please message me.....

Funny thing is, i just looked at the video of the guy with the 3.2 and the miltek exhaust..... THey sound very simular!

I can host them. As for topic, I know a guy who installed air filter, and later removed it from his 2,0FSI. He didn't find it nice at all.

Interesting, do u know what filter he had?

I have the 2 files ready, can i have your e-mail plz so i can send them to u?

Thanks very much Yak!

Let me know what u think guys!!