Took the Plunge on Milltek Exhaust...... First Thoughts!

ianhowell

Reaction score
Website
www.northloop.co.uk
While at AmD a few weeks ago I spoke to the guys about the Milltek exhaust for my 3.2 V6. I read a few of the threads on here and decided to go for it.
Yesterday afternoon I visited the boys at Amd and got it fitted.
As I drove away about 2hrs later with the stereo off and the windows down a HUGE grin crept across my face. The sound is fantastic, if you like your V6 now, wait till you have heard the Milltek!
It's not in your face like a Nova with a drain pipe on the back end but more of a deep throated version of the original with increased volume and without sounding raspy. Yet at idle there is very little difference from OE.
In all the gears at all speeds (and I mean all speeds) it sounds great, especially through tunnels! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

If people are interested I can try and post some video clips.

Ian.

I´m intressted in hearing the sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

I've had miltek's fitted to my last few cars and have alwways loved the sound but the sound from my R32 with it fitted was awesome, I'm very jealous enjoy!

J.

please post some video if possible. how much did it cost you and what did you get?

thanks

Shhheeessh, at least they had yours waiting for you when you arrived: I drove all the way from southern France to AMD and when I arrived (at the appointment which had been set four weeks prior) they said "sorry, no milltek in stock"... So pi**ed off...!

Ordered a Remus back box, which should arrive in two weeks... Hope it's not too bad...?

[ QUOTE ]
I drove all the way from southern France to AMD

[/ QUOTE ]

why didn't you get them to fed ex it???

Well, I wanted the remap done, which required going there.

I didn't get it fedexed afterwards because I can get it here in France, but the delay is very long. Most likely a problem with the french importer.

IanH, thanks for the writeup, please try to post soundclips. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

I will get some video with sound shortly and try to add it to the thread! Help required *** not done before.

Been through a few tunnels over the weekend - WOW! so happy.

AmD were great both times I have been so can't knock them but sorry to hear other people's problems.
Ian.

like it....getting tempted myself now.

please take some more audio from those tunnels!

I have a few video clips but need to sort out a way of getting them online to then add a link. my email host won't allow me to add video files only photos.
any ideas?

Impressive IanH. I really like the sound from it in the second (idle) video. Reminds me a little of the sound from the safety car at the F1. Top stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ianH please advise how the car felt after the remap and then after the Milltek and remap?

Hi Nicks3,

After the re-map i noticed an improvemnet in throtttle response through the rev range at all speeds, there was a quicker response to the inputs of throttle and no flat spots. I did some basic timimg before and after to see if there was much difference and there were improvements in; 0 - 60, 30 - 70, 30 - 100. Top end it just keeps pulling.

With the Milltek on the main thing you notice at first is the sound improvemnets but after living with it you notice there are improvements with the throttle response also. With the V6 you get more linear power so improvements will always be linear unlike a turbo re-map where you get the boost effect mid range.

Overall I am very happy with both mods, each has changed the car to the better.

Here is the link to the Tunnel video ( I hope): http://www.streamload.com/ianh26/EL/W461KWPWSZ/A3_Tunnel

Well, I finally received and installed my Milltek cat-back.

Everything Ian has mentioned is spot-on. The sound is wonderful, just like in the clips.
There is a nice improvement in engine response. I think the remap and the exhaust should be done together, systematically.

The build quality is nice and it fits pretty well. There is a major gripe though: the exhaust tips (which are superb, btw), have big, nasty, ugly *** clamps WELDED to them. Very ugly. So now I'm busy looking for a stainless welder who'll cut those clamps off and just weld the tips to the pipes.

Other than that, and the price, it's a top-notch piece. Very happy!

Come October, Supersprint will be coming out with theirs :)

have you a link to AMDs shop / Web site as i would like to purchase the back box as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

S-Line I think you will love the new sound of the car. See if they'll weld the tips on, intead of using the ugly clamps.

Oh, and while you're at AMD, ask to see their supercharged VW.:R32.

Cheers!

just to note.. when i first got my miltek on my A3 3.2 last year (was i the first on audi-sport?) i had the clamps removed too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So you had the clamps removed and the tailpipes welded? I went to a welder today, he said he should be able to do it, easily.

You must have been the first on audi-sport. As a matter of fact, after ordering my A3, and before receiving it, I searched this forum and found your posts. You had expressed your miscontentment, and I looked for other pipes... But really there are none! (except for a Remus backbox) Now, when Supersprint comes out with theirs (headers, cats and silencer), we'll have an element of comparison...

[ QUOTE ]
S-Line I think you will love the new sound of the car. See if they'll weld the tips on, intead of using the ugly clamps.

Oh, and while you're at AMD, ask to see their supercharged VW.:R32.

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

getting very close to getting this done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Check out the email I just received from Supersprint:

"Sujet : Re: Audi A3 quattro 3.2i
Date : 21/07/05 09:13:00 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été)
Reply-to: ute@supersprint.com (Ufficio Tecnico Supersprint)
To: Ben********

Dear Benjamin,

We thank you for your interest in our exhaust products.

Yes, we will have a full system for the A3 quattro 3.2L available in the near future, as we have just finished developing the cat-back parts a few weeks ago.
In September 2005 we will also make a tubular manifold and a set of special metallic catalytic converters, for maximum increase in performance.
These exhaust parts will be similar to the Supersprint parts for the VW GOLF R32, as shown in our website catalogue.
However, they will have a few, subtle differences.

We already have this type of car available for our developement work, from 2 different sources here in our area; however we will certainly keep your offer into consideration, of letting us work on your personal car, should any need arise for any further developement step.

Best Regards

Alessandro Gilli

Supersprint

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif mmm were are Super Sprint based mate ?

a bit of a drive from Norwich then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Right there with you, Eeef!

SS are distributed in the UK though...

From what I've seen on the .:R32 forums, the headers and sports cats will yield marginal gains on a standard or even remapped 3.2. Just the cat-back would be sufficient. At which point we could compare SS to Milltek in terms of finish, sound and appearance.

On a supercharged engine, however, the gains yielded by a full system should be fantastic!