RNSe volume issues

rOb_A

Reaction score
I know this mentioned before but I've had a RSNe fitted this week and the volume seems to have a mind of its own. Everything else is working as it is should but I have played about with the Gale but no luck. Who's the best person on here for RSNe knowledge?
I'm on the understanding that it has been coded in correctly, therefore can't understand why is happens. Does anyone have a fix for this?
is it worth having in coded in again? if yes can anyone help out? :3sadwalk:

Hi mate on start up the rnse is loud and there is no may of having this set to low on start up ,shame really as these units are not cheap..

is this come to all RNSe units? or is just a fault that a number of units have? I really like it but I'm adjusting the volume as and when necessary.

Yeah its a bit silly really ,hopefully someone will come with a solution ,one day..:)

sure I'll get use to it :unsure:
does lift the dash though and I like having music on the SD cards :yes:

Hi mate i,ve always got my ipod on through ami so i dont have problems with volume going up and down ,only on start up(loud) ,surely this can be sorted?

This is something to do with BOSE. If you have BOSE it uses something called AudioPilot that changes the volume and tone according to interior noise levels, not vehicle speed.

AudioPilot can only be disabled by cutting wires at the Bose amplifier in the rear of the car, and the RNS-E then has to be recoded to enable speed dependent volume (GALA/DSP).

If you don't have Bose the speed dependent volume is called GALA, but shown on the RNS-E as DSP. GALA/DSP is disabled by setting it to zero from the menu.

for me the volume changes i speed up or slow down, therefore i have played about with the Gala but still no luck. Hopefully I'll get it re-coded in.

This is something to do with BOSE. If you have BOSE it uses something called AudioPilot that changes the volume and tone according to interior noise levels, not vehicle speed.

AudioPilot can only be disabled by cutting wires at the Bose amplifier in the rear of the car, and the RNS-E then has to be recoded to enable speed dependent volume (GALA/DSP).

If you don't have Bose the speed dependent volume is called GALA, but shown on the RNS-E as DSP. GALA/DSP is disabled by setting it to zero from the menu.

Cutting wires doesn't sound good. Yep my car has Bose, has anyone done this?

Right i dont have bose so this is why i,m ok , nigel or warren are on there way..:)

I thought if you had bose you don't have the gala options on the HU?

Cheers,
Si

Gala is available on mine. have just read this in the manual.

Tips
Vehicles with a BOSE sound system in conjunction with
an AudioPilot do not have a DSP function. In this case your vehicle
is equipped with dynamic noise compensation  page 94.
Applies to vehicles: with BOSE sound system in conjunction with AudioPilot
Dynamic noise compensation
Vehicles with a BOSE sound system in conjunction with AudioPilot
are equipped with dynamic noise compensation.
Dynamic noise compensation automatically adjust music playback
so that the music is not drowned out by noise. No matter what kind
of ambient noise you have in the vehicle, the music playback level
remains the same.
Dynamic noise compensation takes account of both temporary and
permanent ambient noise.
How does dynamic noise compensation work?
A microphone in the vehicle interior detects both the noise level of
the music playback and intrusive noises. The intrusive noises are
digitally analyzed and evaluated. The system simultaneously
ensures that the music playback level is increased by the frequencies
affected by intrusive noise so that music playback remains at a
constant level for good listening.
Tips
In the event of a malfunction in the AudioPilot system, a gong signal
sounds three times to alert you after the Navigation System is
turned on. Have the AudioPilot system inspected by a qualified
dealership.

So you have BOSE and Gala? You musn't have had the RNS-E coded properly then....just guessing tbh.

Cheers, I thought I was going mad for a minute! Why on earth isn't there an option to turn it off!!

Love the bose & the Rnse but this pilot crap is junk!

Si

yep, hoping to get it re-coded in. any offers?

Bose controls the Gala setting, if you have bose that is. and IIRC those cars that have bose dont get the choice to play with the gala settings on the RNSE if coded correctly.
you can of course turn off the bose autopilot all together and that will sort out the auto volume issue you are having.
its a 2 min coding to have it turned off... i would have offered but your on the other side of the country

Bose controls the Gala setting, if you have bose that is. and IIRC those cars that have bose dont get the choice to play with the gala settings on the RNSE if coded correctly.
you can of course turn off the bose autopilot all together and that will sort out the auto volume issue you are having.
its a 2 min coding to have it turned off... i would have offered but your on the other side of the country

Thanks lad, any chance you can publish the code setting? so that when someone close to me, can help with the vcds, I can point the in the right direction. Should be meeting with N8 when he gets back. Or might call over to see Amar if his car is back on the road?

warren had it on his thread
its easy really, go to navigation or radio module (37 or 56) and then go to adaptation (10). then just find the gala from the drop down (008) and set the value to 0 (off) it is probably on 255 which is bose

nice one lad, thanks for this :salute:. hopefully someone with vcds will come along shortly to help me sort it out

Cutting wires doesn't sound good. Yep my car has Bose, has anyone done this?

If you have Bose and you still have Gala in the RNS-e menu then it's coded wrong. You need to tell the RNS-e the car has Bose and then the Audiopilot will function and probably stop your volume issues. I don't have a issues with mine.

If you go into the engineers menu in the RNS-e and check the coding for the unit it should start 209XXX, the nice means it's been coded for Bose, also in Channel 8, this should be set to 255 which will remove DSP from the RNS-e and enable the Audiopilot for the Bose.

Edit - just seen Ash's post above, try both ways and see how you get on.

I hate to disappoint but I tried this and it doesn't work. I have the later factory Nav and Bose.

Startup volume still does what it likes. There is a statement in the manual it will bring it up if too quiet and lower if too loud to a preset level.

I already had the gala menu set at 0 and also set the VCDS to 0 from 3 iirc
( I have the original settings at home)

Volume at start up still does its ramp up thing.

I hate to disappoint but I tried this and it doesn't work. I have the later factory Nav and Bose.

Startup volume still does what it likes. There is a statement in the manual it will bring it up if too quiet and lower if too loud to a preset level.

I already had the gala menu set at 0 and also set the VCDS to 0 from 3 iirc
( I have the original settings at home)

Volume at start up still does its ramp up thing.

Are the volume issues related to Mk2 units because I have a Mk1 and don't have any issues....

Guys, there is no way to disable audiopilot through coding.. the only way is to cut the wires on the bose amp to disable the bose mic (housed in the front map light unit).. Don't ask me which wires - I don't know! I know that Paddy had his disabled by his local Audi... I have VCDS and you cannot disable the bose mic.. Bringing up the GALA and DSP thing only really works if you do NOT have BOSE.... It's pants, and I have told Audi that it had better be done in advance for my new car, otherwise I shall refuse delivery until they sort it out!
Whoever put Audiopilot into the cars shoudl be put in front of a firing squad - it is a thoroughly badly thought out crap piece of tech that has no place in an Audi whatsoever...:banghead:

Ok so I know out there somewhere in the WWW is an Audi TSB that relates specifically to disabling Audiopilot on the A3, but all i can find is their one that relates to the A4... I would think it's very similar though.. hope this is of some help Mr Blob! http://www.dejong947.com/audi/tsb/audi.tb.91-04-17.pdf

You can see it clearly tells you that there is no way of disabling the Audiopilot with just VCDS...

Last edited:
Have to disagree with you, problem is not bose its RNSE
no one complains about gala on a different headunit? I have the gala active on my Bose unit running on the pioneer HU (never switched it off) and it's perfectly fine, nice and subtle

Rnse is just old tech that can't handle the gala

Are the volume issues related to Mk2 units because I have a Mk1 and don't have any issues....

Mine is the mk2 RNSE with Bose. (factory fitted)

My issue is the preset startup volume, that in my opinion is slightly too loud. It comes on quiet, how I left it, and then within 30 seconds or so ramps up the volume to where IT wants to be. If I turn it down it stays there till next start up.

My gala mode in the dsp menu was always set at 0. (off) before any VCDS coding.

My VCDS setting was 3 ( not 255)
I set this to 0 and and made no difference.

I need to replace my laptop which died last night then I will put it back to how I found it.

Last edited:
no one complains about gala on a different headunit? I have the gala active on my Bose unit running on the pioneer HU (never switched it off) and it's perfectly fine, nice and subtle

Agreed! It works fine with Symphony units and mine seems to be fine with my Mk1 RNS-e....

Dude - it's not GALA that's the problem.. It's audiopilot!

It would appear its Audiopilot related.

Tip:
If the volume is too high when the radio is turned on, it will be reduced automatically to a level set at the factory. If the volume is too low when the radio is turned on, it will be increased automatically to a level set at the factory

This is exactly what it does. Page95 of the manual linked above, after it discusses Audiopilot.

In my opinion the user should be able to choose the start up volume. One volume does not fit all.

really appreciate everyones input. looks to subject that p*sses ppl off for a not so cheap piece of kit

Goes anyone know which wire to chop on the Audiopilot end to resolve this issue?
This problem drives me nuts!!!

Open the map light, 2 front screws.
Under the little black box is a connector to a small mic, Pull off the connector.
Refit.
Note ..Its not the easy to get to mic at the very rear of the light unit, its the one hidden inside.

Rip it out and fit a proper Audi B&O system...