Stage 2 for my S3 - should I do it?

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
I've been pondering the above question for some time now. Specifically, I'm thinking:

a) Should I go for it?
b) Can someone do it all for me?

The reason I've been sitting on my hands is that I'm a responsbile adult with two little kids, a wife who doesn't "get" performance cars and I wasn't sure how long I'd keep the S3. But I feel quite committed to the car now, plus life is short and I have some money saved-up! :

I'm already running a Bluefin map, so I'd want to add: induction kit (minimum noise), cat-back exhaust (ditto), front lowering springs, possibly some OEM extras (parking sensors at minimum) and anything else that's recommended to go with that lot. Basically, I just want to drop the car off and pick it up again with the stuff done to it.

Any recommendations or advice?

its totally worth every penny and really finishes off the car, not sure how good the bluefin map is at stage 2 though, so may be worth thinking of swapping to the Evolve/Revo/APR stage 2 software for some real performance, if your after a quietish CAI, your best bet would be the ITG MAXOGEN (think thats how its spelt) and you'll need a full turbo back, but if you get the resonated version they arnt too loud except when you really step on the loud pedal. personally don't touch the ride height, unless you go full coil overs as springs ruin the ride as they don't match the damper ratios :)

I have stage 2 shark. it's alright. not far off stage 1 at all I'd say.

work on the principle. either stage 1. or stage 2+. stage 2 is just a noisy stage 1 really.

Don't bother with S2 go straight to S2+. You won't regret it!

Reactions: Boydie
whats the best map to go for ? (stage1) i had a stage 1 shark put on but didnt really feel the WOW factor so it was taken off.. im looking for something thats easy to drive with but when you put your foot down you feel the power... ADVICE GUYS ??

Revo on Boost Setting 9 :)

Stage 2+ is by far the best value upgrade you can do for the S3.....don't forget the brakes and handling though,or you'll have something that goes in straight lines but can't corner or stop.

I have stage 2 shark. it's alright. not far off stage 1 at all I'd say.

work on the principle. either stage 1. or stage 2+. stage 2 is just a noisy stage 1 really.

How can you not feel extra 40bhp?:uhm: I'm sure there is fairly noticable difference against stage 1 surely.

the difference between stage 1 and 2 is only about 10bhp tops?

standard 265

stage 1 = 300

stage 2 = 310

stage 2+ or 3 = 360 ish.

the difference between stage 1 and 2 is only about 10bhp tops? standard 265stage 1 = 300stage 2 = 310stage 2+ or 3 = 360 ish.
Stage 2 is a bit variable in terms of bhp,with some getting up to 330bhp out of it,but it's the mid-upper range torque that's lacking,where the stock HPFP runs out of puff,and you lose out on torque.
The upgraded HPFP makes a very noticeable difference.

I always thought it was 330bhp with the pump and stage 2 map then when the stage 2+ software was added it was 360bhp

so exhaust and intake = 30bhp ish?

I always thought it was 330bhp with the pump and stage 2 map then when the stage 2+ software was added it was 360bhpso exhaust and intake = 30bhp ish?
It seems to vary a lot from car to car.....mine made about 310bhp at Stg1,and around 330bhp at Stg2,and topped out at 360bhp on Stg2+,but the HPFP took the torque up to nearly 370lbs,but others have had both better,and worse figures.

I think people focus very heavily on the figures,but often in practice these are less relevant than how the car drives,and in any case 20bhp difference at Stg2+ would amount to between 5-7%,which a lot of us wouldn't notice,and that amount is only relevant at maximum rpm......it's the torque that counts most of the time.

Don't think it's been mentioned but I defo get an uprated clutch, I ve got a stage 1 s3 07 plate as had it replaced once at 30k , so doubt it will last long at all at stage 2 / 2+

Don't think it's been mentioned but I defo get an uprated clutch, I ve got a stage 1 s3 07 plate as had it replaced once at 30k , so doubt it will last long at all at stage 2 / 2+
Good point.....the stock item is made of cheese and as soon as I'd had the Stg2 software loaded,that was the end of it.
For the OP,the Sachs organic is a good choice,nice feel,easy to use,and good for over 400lbs if you treat it right over the first thousand miles.....if you don't allow it to bed in properly,and rag it,it won't last.

Good point.....the stock item is made of cheese and as soon as I'd had the Stg2 software loaded,that was the end of it.
For the OP,the Sachs organic is a good choice,nice feel,easy to use,and good for over 400lbs if you treat it right over the first thousand miles.....if you don't allow it to bed in properly,and rag it,it won't last.

The "Spec" clutch you have is the one to go for now isn't it? It might be over kill but at least there is peace of mind that it won't fail as easily as the sachs sometimes do (after 6k!). If I had manual, I'd be going overkill as alot of the cost is labour, an hell if the Sachs failed. bam there's another few hundred quid.

revo stage 2 claims 340-350 and stage 1 300-310.

Revo are definitly the ones to go for then. mines nowhere near that I don't think!

i had a play with a focus RS. one of these massive looking things with big spoilers etc. the new one.

all he is running is a decat. they're 300bhp. so that plus decat. it was a absolute dead heat. they're heavy cars aswell. and I only kept up becuase of DSG!

There is a updated stage 2 map for shark that I haven't had yet. so once that's done I'll report back with hopefully a broken spine from all the new shetland ponies I've gained.

The "Spec" clutch you have is the one to go for now isn't it? It might be over kill but at least there is peace of mind that it won't fail as easily as the sachs sometimes do (after 6k!). If I had manual, I'd be going overkill as alot of the cost is labour, an hell if the Sachs failed. bam there's another few hundred quid.
I see your point there,but the Spec is a SMF clutch and flywheel,which does add considerable noise and general harshness,so it's not for everyone,in spite of being light and easy to use.
It's a full face carbon/metallic clutch,which will tend to snatch a bit if you try to slip it but on the torque side,is rated to nearly 600lbs.
If I was sticking at Stg2+,I'd still recommend the Sachs for ease of use around town,and it is tough,providing you treat it gently at first,as mine was coping with 440lbs happily,but it chucked in the towel at 480lbs.

I take it the DSG negates the need to upgrade the clutch?

Great thread BTW, awesome car!

The only thing that puts me off from getting stage 2+ is all the horror stories about cam follower shattering into the engine. I know you can change it every 5k but thats an extra hassle ones you put uprated one warranty wont cover you in case of engine damage. So for now I consider stage 2 only.

I take it the DSG negates the need to upgrade the clutch?

Great thread BTW, awesome car!

Yes. it limits the torque automatically. they have mecatronic units which cost a fortune to replaced if they go wrong which thankfully is quite rare.

you can remap the DSG gearbox to increase torque levels too. also move
laugh control revs higher etc.

pretty good and strong piece of kit.

I take it the DSG negates the need to upgrade the clutch?Great thread BTW, awesome car!
Thank you!.....a lot of time and money(don't ask why I did it!) but very fast,and more to come.
The DSG is good for around 400ish lbs if you have the software remapped to suit,but once you get to Stg3 and above,you would need a new clutch pack from HGP Turbo.

The only thing that puts me off from getting stage 2+ is all the horror stories about cam follower shattering into the engine. I know you can change it every 5k but thats an extra hassle ones you put uprated one warranty wont cover you in case of engine damage. So for now I consider stage 2 only.

Thats the main reason I didn't do it. if this engine blows, I'm so ********. I can't afford a new one. in reality, I'm at silly dangerous speeds quick enough. especially for these UK roads.

Ill "sit on the fence" and be content the car has that better chance of running that little bit longer, and being 30 seconds later everyday for work than I otherwise wouldn't have been with stage 2+.

Thats the main reason I didn't do it. if this engine blows, I'm so ********. I can't afford a new one. in reality, I'm at silly dangerous speeds quick enough. especially for these UK roads. Ill "sit on the fence" and be content the car has that better chance of running that little bit longer, and being 30 seconds later everyday for work than I otherwise wouldn't have been with stage 2+.
I've had mine running an uprated HPFP for around 35 000 miles now,and apart from regular follower changes when it goes in for servicing,it's been fine.
I think the issue of changing it is very rightly brought up,but you don't see too many reports of wrecked engines now.

I've been pondering the above question for some time now. Specifically, I'm thinking:

a) Should I go for it?
b) Can someone do it all for me?

The reason I've been sitting on my hands is that I'm a responsbile adult with two little kids, a wife who doesn't "get" performance cars and I wasn't sure how long I'd keep the S3. But I feel quite committed to the car now, plus life is short and I have some money saved-up! :

I'm already running a Bluefin map, so I'd want to add: induction kit (minimum noise), cat-back exhaust (ditto), front lowering springs, possibly some OEM extras (parking sensors at minimum) and anything else that's recommended to go with that lot. Basically, I just want to drop the car off and pick it up again with the stuff done to it.

Any recommendations or advice?

Hello mate,

I just posted this reply on a separate thread, but I thought it might be worth posting it here too:

After over 2 years of ownership of my S3, I went straight from stock to Revo 2+ around a month or so ago and I'm absolutely loving it!

It drives as normal if you drive it sensibly (although it sounds a lot better now due to the ITG induction kit), but it turns in to an absolute BEAST when you floor it - especially if you're driving it aggressively using high revs through the gear shifts. I'm absolutely loving it, although I haven't had it for long.

I got mine done at AMD in Essex after speaking to S3Alex.

It may be more expensive than some of the other alternatives, but in my eyes it was money well spent. Revo have been doing this sort of thing for years, and are generally a highly regarded company - as are AMD. It was a no-brainer for me.

Here's what I had fitted - all done by AMD over the space of 2 days:

Revo Stage 2+ Remap
Revo SPS+ Switch
Resonated Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust System (Special Tailpipes)
ITG Cold Air Induction Kit
Autotech Uprated Fuel Pump
KW Suspension Kit (KW Variant 1 inox-line)

Good luck either way mate, I just wish I didn't wait 2 years to get it done! Hindsight...

Last edited:
I have an s3 stage 1
If I was to have a stage2+ what in your opinion would you upgrade on the car?
Regards RobUOTE="S3Alex, post: 1600240, member: 36047"]Stage 2 is a bit variable in terms of bhp,with some getting up to 330bhp out of it,but it's the mid-upper range torque that's lacking,where the stock HPFP runs out of puff,and you lose out on torque.
The upgraded HPFP makes a very noticeable difference.[/QUOTE]