'Wooshing sound of air being released upon acceleration and going over bumps, normal?

HarryJ

Reaction score
Not sure whether I like or don't like the sound that my S3 (09 reg with new brake pads) makes when accelerating…usually when it gets by 3 revs or so I get a 'chhh' sound as it sounds like air is released, from where I am unsure as I am not very technically savvy when it comes to the S3 yet. You can also hear the sound of air being released when it goes over any sort of bump e.g. a speed bump. I initially thought it was cool, but going around town it can sound a bit weird going over speed bumps and also just putting the food down slightly when not even going fast. Is there a way to reduce this sound or even eliminate it, or am I stuck with it? it's not a massive problem and hardly as though I can't live with it, was just curious more than anything.

Cheers guys

Judging by some of the threads I have read, seems it could be some sort of an air leak? Either way I'll have to book it in to the local garage to see what's going on, sadly there's not an Audi garage near where I am now (back at university)

You're possibly talking about the minor compression / rebound noises made by the suspension shocks as you travel over bumps? Entirely normal if so.

The other noise (from the engine) is probably the recirculating dump valve. Wiki it if you must know the science, but again it's normal

I've had quite a few turbo cars and the S3 is the most whooshy I've had, with lots of metallic sounding air noises if you push on. Then there is the added noise factor of tuning it with induction kits, replacement blow off valves etc. ;)

You're possibly talking about the minor compression / rebound noises made by the suspension shocks as you travel over bumps? Entirely normal if so.

The other noise (from the engine) is probably the recirculating dump valve. Wiki it if you must know the science, but again it's normal

I've had quite a few turbo cars and the S3 is the most whooshy I've had, with lots of metallic sounding air noises if you push on. Then there is the added noise factor of tuning it with induction kits, replacement blow off valves etc. ;)

Cheers, I actually quite like the sound now, to be honest! Such a great car, very happy with it so far, just need to get the radio working as it won't scan or locate any stations!