Sunroof "Comfort Position" an after thought???

mickc

Reaction score
Following on from the "getting wet when windows open" post. Another poor peice of design has to be the sunroof unless its just me.
When driving in town I cant have the sunroof open fully as the buffeting from the air trying to get in and out at the same time pops my ear drums, it does stop above 70, but I dont think the old bill will accept that as an excuse.

Do you think the comfort position was put in as an afterthough to save redesign. Think about it...heres your sunroof, we have designed it so that it cannot be opened fully at 30mph. We have put a nice little step in the dial though, that closes it down a bit for you, for your comfort....what a load of twaddle.

On the other hand, if its just my funny ears, I take it all back.

no, mines the same... ****** useless and actually quite painfull. It doesn't happen if you open the windows though! if that's any consilation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

you talking about the 'opensky' option?

glad I didn't get it then - seemed pretty cool

[ QUOTE ]
you talking about the 'opensky' option?glad I didn't get it then - seemed pretty cool

[/ QUOTE ]

no - just the sunroof on the 3dr

My first A3 (a 1.6 Sport) had a sunroof and when you opened it a black bar popped up at the front of the opening to stop wind buffeting. If you pressed it down whilst going along it made a horrible noise in the car.

Does the new A3 not have a wind baffle?

If I open my sunroof all the way the boom in the car is crazy, this comfort position is about the best though. Still rains a lot more here than the sun shines so can't give out too much.

I don't have these problems with the OpenSky. Retract the roof as far as it will go and it gets noisy inside but it's a higher pitched rush of air noise (like riding a pushbike downhill) not "boomy" as someone put it.

P.S. I notice in the new price list that there is now a sunroof option on the Sportback at half the price of the OpenSky.

Completely agree. The 3.2 A3 I have just sold had a sunroof (3dr). Exactly the same. Pointless as you could only open it about 2/3 way. Yes you can open the windows as it allows the air to travel more freely, but my previous A3 (old style) never had this problem. Def a design fault in my opinion. My soon to be delivered new A3 hasn't got a sunroof, unsurprisingly.

I found mine fine; The buffetting happens at a certain point only, then seems to go. I have drive on the motoray many times with it open without a problem. All sunroofs have this drawback, but I would rather have it than not.

Here's a tip that works for me, open your drivers window by an inch or so, seems to stop the buffetting in my car.

And I thought I was the only one with this problem!

On or around 50kph there's serious buffeting when the sunroof is open fully, but it disappears as the speed changes.

As far as I know the only solution is to open the driver's window a little (a few mm will do).