Glow Plug Control Unit access?? 2.0 TDI

deputy74

Reaction score
Hi all, I've searched the forum for access to the glow plug control unit, apparently its under the engine bay fuse box, has anyone taken this out before? I've loosened all the 'star' headed screws but it doesnt budge.

Diagnostic states all glowplugs have failed, Auto Sparky stated it has to be this unit, Audi claimed I just needed to replace the relay in the fusebox (£30) and told me there is no such thing as a GP Control Unit, any ideas guys?

It turns over but doesn't fire and no warning lights on the dash, just the glow plug fault codes? any help would be much appreciated

cheers

does the car run at all, it shouldn't need glow plugs to start if weather is warm

no it just spins but doesn't fire, initially i thought I'd popped the timing belt thats why I got the engine diagnostic done but it comes up with all 4 plugs on the codes :-/

i'd be getting the towrope and pull it till it starts or a can of start ya *******/easy start
startya.jpg

bradex-easy-start-hi.jpg

If the glow plugs lights are flashing & it's not starting it's usually a sign that the injectors &/or loom is faulty (bizarrely), is it a PD170? And what is the exact code that's being thrown up?

Its a 55 plate 140, remapped though which I've been told makes no difference? got the codes at home but not at work with me, the mobile diagnostic mechanic tried easy start quickly but without effect though he didn't try for long

The print out from the diagnostic included the following info

17056 cylinder 2 glow plug circuit (Q11) electrical fault P0672
17058 cylinder 4 glow plug circuit (Q11) electrical fault P0674
17057 cylinder 3 glow plug circuit (Q11) electrical fault P0673
17055 cylinder 1 glow plug circuit (Q11) electrical fault P0671

excuse my ignorance but a timing belt issue would flash up on a diagnostic wouldn't it? Im assuming it would show multiple faults, if I can be sure its not that I'll try towing/jumping in the morning??

Cheers

does it sound normal when turning over?

If it had a timing fault it sound different due to lack of compression. Have you had the glow plugs out and tested?this would be my first port of call and fix the present faults. BUT as said above the vehicle should still start with a glow plug fault at this time of year.

Where a bouts are you located pal?

cheers rob, aye it sounds normal, its not fleeing round without resistance but the second belt change is due in about 6K so im paranoid, next job on to do list (when things stop breaking lol)
It should start I know with easystart etc and its equally bizarre as it has always started literally the first touch of the key hot or cold, never even span to warm up before now
Audi wont confirm what part the 'glow plug control unit' is they just keep offering to sell me relays that 'might be involved' and have very kindly offered to come and pick the car up, stick in a diagnostic then take my eyes out lol, a tow trip to the nearest auto sparky looms I reckon :-/
Im up in Sunny Sunderland

thats awesome max, much appreciated, great link, can see Im going to be busy tomorrow

This could be the glow plug relay which is under the ECU.. get windscreen wipers off (use a puller after undoing 16mm nuts) then remove the plastic scuttle panel that fits under windscreen (carefully) then remove the torx screws from around the ECU box under driver side windscreen and remove the plastic cover. There is a metal band that goes across the top of the ECU which can be removed by getting a flat head screwdriver and pushing down in the groove at end of the band. Then lift the ECU out of the plastic bottom cover (leave plugged in) . You will then see 3 relays the one nearest the driver is he glowplug relay.

Your engine will start fine with a full set of failed glow plugs in this weather. If it’s not firing at all it’s likely not injecting fuel.

Top reasons are engine speed not great enough, if the starter is not cranking engine at minimum of 280 rpm = no fuel added. (Check started, battery, grounds).

The cam or crank sensors are faulty or outputting implausible signals. The ECU checks the cam / crank relationship before adding fuel.

Lastly the timing may actually be out.

Have you got VCDS? If so you can log engine rpm while cranking and check if the cam / crank position validates and also look at the injected quantity while cranking.