Upgrade to double din?

tam2oo5

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought my 8P yesterday, it came with the standard concert 2 sterio. Wondering how easy would it be to replace that dash with a double din - to install something like this

classifiedsImage.php

Cheers

Got the same unit waiting to go in, if your doing it, i recommend going the whole way and gettin the new facelift buttons MY09+ .. You'l need..

- Double din cage
- Facelift buttons, esp, blanks, passenger airbag, and card tray, or MY11 come as one peoce
- Button trim, not needed with MY11
- Doubledin climate, has to be ECON version if the cars under 57 plate

.. Ive got everything at home waiting, really is the best upgrade to interior, goodluck mate

Thanks for the reply guys..

Cheers ill continue searching the forum for how to's...

Dannyhall,

How much did that set up cost you mate?

Cheers

Got the same unit waiting to go in, if your doing it, i recommend going the whole way and gettin the new facelift buttons MY09+ .. You'l need..

- Double din cage
- Facelift buttons, esp, blanks, passenger airbag, and card tray, or MY11 come as one peoce
- Button trim, not needed with MY11
- Doubledin climate, has to be ECON version if the cars under 57 plate

.. Ive got everything at home waiting, really is the best upgrade to interior, goodluck mate

Is the doubledin climate required? I have a 2005 Sportback 8p2 with single din and the climate unit looks pretty much identical to the double din version. I presumed it was just a case of getting the double din cage and my existing unit would simply be mounted lower and back a bit?

The double din climate is bout 10mm smaller in width either side, if cost is an issur you can dremmel it down either side to fit, a climate on ebay will set you back anywhere between 50-150, the facelift climate will only fit 57+ .. On regards to cost on my part, i got a good deal on the cage and buttons, which i got a climate unit free with for £60, don't expect to pay this, i'm gloating ha! .. Doubledin cages and facelift buttons are gold dust on ebay, just get them from ebay, you're looking at 100-130 for cage and buttons depending on MY11 or MY09 but it's worth it, PM if you need part numbers, i'm happy to help

To clarify. I need the double din climate, but I need to get an earlier one not the facelift?

Yeah like he said, correct! The aircon system changes throughout the two, although the facelift buttons are intervhangable on the pre facelift console to make it look more often, search on the searchbar for 'itwasntme' 's thread

also all the double din parts that are needed to be changed will cost about £170. then just need to install it after. if you need i can install it for you.

Also if you're debating on which RNS-e to get, if cost commits, i'd recommend the RNSE mk2 with the glossy screen, i picked one up for £400 posted which is only around 50-100£ more than mk1

Two more questions:

1. Does the new RNS-E have a problem with battery draining when fitted to a pre facelift 8P2 or is it just plug and play?
I know MK5 golfs have this problem when fitted with MK6 navs or RCD310/RCD510s. Need to update the 'canbus gateway'? as well.

2. Did a quick search but cant seem to find any in depth info on trimming down my existing unit. Obviously it needs to be done a certain way. Is there any threads on this?

The climate unit you have there is the face lifted one which prob won't work on your car as it only works on 2008+ cars. The unit is however the correct size
as for the trimming down after you have the double din cage fitted just measure out the space left for the climate Unit and use a piece of card board to make a Template and use that on your old unit. Do a google search on the double din install instructions and you will find loads of guides on the matter and you may even find a template you can download

Last edited:
Two more questions:

1. Does the new RNS-E have a problem with battery draining when fitted to a pre facelift 8P2 or is it just plug and play?
I know MK5 golfs have this problem when fitted with MK6 navs or RCD310/RCD510s. Need to update the 'canbus gateway'? as well.

2. Did a quick search but cant seem to find any in depth info on trimming down my existing unit. Obviously it needs to be done a certain way. Is there any threads on this?

1: No, but needs coding
2: Just make up a cardboard template to fit inside the gap lower down, its about 6-8mm trimmed each side with a slight curve in middle