can i upgrade from a 4 spoke to a 3 spoke steering wheel?

bahamabart

Reaction score
i just picked up a 2012 TDI with sport package and i'm disappointed that it did not come with the 3 spoke with paddle shifters. I'm hoping that its all pre-wired and its just a matter of buying the steering wheel?

any comments, thread pointers or suggestions.

to have paddle shifters, you have to have an auto.

to have paddle shifters, you have to have an auto.

Mate, not sure if there was sarcasm in that answer?

Anyhow you didn't state you had a DSG model and Amar was only asking so he could answer your question
Some people fit a paddleshift wheel to their manual, and although serves no purpose, the paddles still illuminate.

To answer your question, yes you can change it but will also need a new airbag to fit as the 4 spoke will not fit to a 3 spoke, also you may need some coding done.

Last edited:
The 3 spoke w\ Paddle-Shifters are only fitted to S-Line & up DSG's as standard. It's in the A3 range handbook,

page 17
S line model equipment 'in addition to' Sport model equipment

so no need for disappointment.

If I have a 3 Spoke S Line steering wheel which is not a Multi Function Version, can I reuse the air bag from it when I buy a FBMFSW as they are also 3 spoke?

The 3 spoke w\ Paddle-Shifters are only fitted to S-Line & up DSG's as standard. It's in the A3 range handbook,

page 17
S line model equipment 'in addition to' Sport model equipment

so no need for disappointment.
My post is incorrect - apparently you can get a 3 spoke w\ paddle shift on the Sport model too - maybe it was deleted by the original buyer.

you can go ahead & be disappointed now! you have my deepest sympathies. :(

If I have a 3 Spoke S Line steering wheel which is not a Multi Function Version, can I reuse the air bag from it when I buy a FBMFSW as they are also 3 spoke?

No - the fbmfsw has a round airbag and the 3 spoke mfsw has a 'shield' shaped airbag.

You need to buy a FBMFSW complete with airbag OR buy a 3 spoke MFSW and re-use your existing airbag.

Either way, you will need the correct steering control module for them to work.

Mate, not sure if there was sarcasm in that answer?

no sarcasm, well maybe a little. I thought he was messing with me. LOL Never thought of adding paddles to a manual.

My ignorance, you see here in the US, you can only get an A3 TDI in auto.

So I just have to buy a complete 3 spoke with air bag. Can't wait to get a price from the dealer (definitely sarcasm).

appreciate the guidance.

Last edited: