loss of power and fuel consumption increase

nlnasty

Reaction score
Hello there ladies and gents,

I’ve been reading these forums for a few weeks now and what a great information source, after lurking and reading as much as I can I’ve come to the conclusion I need to ask for some help. I’m a first time poster so please be gentle!!

Ok I recently purchased my 2006 A3 SLine 140bph 2 door DSG Auto and have been getting to know the car and for the most part it has been a super experience and by far and away the best car I’ve owned, 4 months in and I’m still smiling...

Now on Saturday last week I was driving along and I could hear a whoosh sound like wind was blowing every time I pushed the go faster pedal and a massive drop off in power when I got to 3000rpms .So I got home and looked on the web and found this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/159388-2-0-tdi-boost-problems-bkd-140-a.html it seems as this was/is a very common issue relating to the intercooler pipe clip wearing out or snapping and allowing air in. It was at this point I booked my car in to my best friends garage for the Tuesday as I had booked the car to have the alloys refurbished on the Monday.

Unfortunately Monday never came as the on the Sunday the dreaded POP sound happened and thus a jerk and splutter and masses off grey smoke flooded out the back of my car, so I pulled over to the side of the called out The AA who 2 hours later sent a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party rescue company out and the guy confirmed the pipe had come away from the intercooler due to the clip snapping so he forced the pipe back on and sent me on my way and said get to a garage.
Monday morning I set off to the garage and again the pipe got lose and I came to a halt. Called The AA and this time he fitted a jubilee clip and followed me to the garage where my pal place a OEM clip from Audi on the pipe fitting (can’t believe it cost 90p from euro car parts!! Rang Audi while waiting for The AA they wanted £38.17 for the whole pipe and 2 hours fitting @ £60 per hour). And 30 minutes later job done.

So my car is back running but my fuel consumption has jumped up massively and I the car feels a bit sluggish, I was wondering does anyone have an idea as to why, before I go to Audi and have to pay £134 for a diagnostic

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!!!