Bonnet Release Doesn't Release!

N7 JNS

Reaction score
Help Please!!

I am unable to open my bonnet. The cable at the lever in the footwell doesn't feel under tension, so I'm assuming the cable is either stretched or become detatched somewhere?

However it means I can't even open the bonnet to diagnose, never mind do a service and sort out some other issues.

I've done the usual pressing down of the bonnet and can of WD40. Cant seem to access anything from underneath, so do I need to bite the bullet and damage the grill to gain access? Or is there some other method out there????

Hoping someone can help!!

N7

If you get a long coat hanger or something and try to trigger the latch that way. You'll have to take out the under tray to do this.

A friend of my dad ...did this for me .....for a little change... as it was very difficult.

I've had this happen to my car twice on both my 8p's...it's a common fault.

Thanks for the info, been there, but cant see much!! I'll be under the car......................looking again!!!

Sorted!!

Managed to get my arm up the front of the engine and locate the bonnet cable. Pulled it and voila! Bonnet popped open!

Found that the cable block beside the coolant bottle had opened and the cable from it to the bonnet catch had come out. Simply refitted the cable and secured the block with 2 small cable ties to stop it reopening.

Hope this helpful for anyone in the same situation in the future

Neil