Got a bargain last night on the bay!

3DTDi

Reaction score
I think anyway lol, I won this facelift climate unit for £23.50 delivered.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

So options are:

A - swap the whole unit, although I think this may cause problems as the AC button is different to the Econ button on the older style ones.

B - Swap the twist knobs over onto my old unit.

Anyone done this or have knowledge of whether the new one works plug and play? If not does anyone know how the twist knobs come off?

Im also curious about this, I would like to do the same. Good idea!

I have done this mod myself I got hold of a climate for £20 posted and just swapped the knobs over, only took about 30 mins.

thats a steal of a price!
the new unit is plug on play on 57 plate cars and onwards
if yours is older just follow my how to (link posted above) and do the switch over of the knobs.

Haha sorry mate, I only found it by pure luck with 3 mins to go too, i just typed in audi and looked for ending soonest auctions and there it was!

Option a won't work swap the dials or start hunting a facelift blower

Is this the case or is ash correct with the 57 plate theory?

thats a steal of a price!
the new unit is plug on play on 57 plate cars and onwards
if yours is older just follow my how to (link posted above) and do the switch over of the knobs.

Mine is a 57 plate ash, registered november 07 so it might be worth a try? How can i tell if it works or not? will the air con not come on properly?

Stick it in and give it a go best way to find out mate ;) Nice bargain hunting!

Stick it in and give it a go best way to find out mate ;) Nice bargain hunting!

Yeh i will be doing that before ripping it apart mate lol. Yeh I gave myself a lovely pat on the back, i usually end up paying through the teeth when it comes the the audi lol!

I am down yeah, I'm getting married next week, not sure if I'll have time, what time is it do you know?

14:30 I think mate. Be good to meet up, will need coding done in the near future ;) did you sell your adaptives in the end?

I've got adaptives available

And to address the open if you have the econ button its more likely that you'll be running the older matrix which won't work long term

Mine is a 57 plate ash, registered november 07 so it might be worth a try? How can i tell if it works or not? will the air con not come on properly?

The change was made midway through the 2007 model year. My '07, build date of Sept. '06, did not work with the facelift CC. If you try it and your blower is not compatible, you'll be able to tell as the air blows, but does not come out of the correct vents. It'll also show a code in VCDS.

I just put my original unit back in and swapped the knobs. :thumbup:

It's to be clear the quickest way to test if the facelift cc unit will work is to plug it in and press the auto button. If the air comes into the cabin as normal then your in luck! I like on mine you can hear the air behind the dash but don't get any cold air coming through then you will needto swap over the chrome bits.
If you manually set the speed and temp on the facelift cc it will probably work fine, even the ac button works as its meant to (no light = no ac) it's that auto button that gives it away

So, as long as AUTO is not pressed it should work fine?
I also bought one from ebay, very cheap, but it seems to be for RHD cars. When the temperature buttons are synchronized, I have to turn the one on the right to change the temperature.
Now I'm looking for another one.

Im not going to say that it WILL work as long as you dont press the auto button as i dont want to advise guys to do the wrong thing and mess up their cars... i am just saying thats the easiest way to tell if it will work.

if you want to run the cc unit that potentially isnt right for your car you are on your own if something goes pop later

also as for the RHD version can it changed in coding to make it LHD?

So, as long as AUTO is not pressed it should work fine?
I also bought one from ebay, very cheap, but it seems to be for RHD cars. When the temperature buttons are synchronized, I have to turn the one on the right to change the temperature.
Now I'm looking for another one.

In my experience, if your car is not compatible with the facelift unit it will not work properly, on 'Auto' or otherwise. The reason why is because the flapper motors in the newer AC system are different than in the older system. I spent a lot of time with the Bentley manual, comparing wiring diagrams and reading on the changes. The newer AC unit is lacking two (IIRC) motors that the older unit had. The facelift CC simply does not put a signal out on the pins that correspond to those motors (even though the plugs are the same,) so it will never work properly.

I don't recall seeing anything in VCDS to code the CC for RHD/LHD, although I'd wager that there is some way to change it. The degrees can be changed between celsius and fahrenheit, I doubt Audi would produce different parts for RHD and LHD. Actually, I'm surprised it didn't change automatically based on the car's region coding. :screwy:

Just curious, is the unit you picked up equipped for heated seats?