Paint advice?

noggin2k1

Reaction score
Morning gents & gentesses,

Taken delivery of my A3 a week ago now, so thought it's about time I show myself from the cover of darkness and get a post under my belt! Spec of her is as follows:

A3 3dr 170 Quattro Black Edition
Glacier White
Vienna Black Leather
Electric Lumbar Support (An absolute godsend!!!)
Auto Lights & Wipers
Cruise Control
Folding & Heated Mirrors
Heated Seats
And finally, the all important Tyre Pressure Sensors, because I'm the worlds most oblivious man to flat tyres...

Gotta say, not sure how I've gone this long in my life without Quattro, around some of the rural roads near me it feels like the work of the devil! And with 800 miles under it's belt now, it's returning a steady 55.1mpg, which I can't complain about!

The one niggle I do have is with the paint. I absolutely love the colour, but Audi has a reputation for not delivering the best paint out the factory, and it shows. For a metallic colour, it just doesn't pop or shine... I had my wax & buffer to hand ready to go to work, but advised last minute that I'd absolutely murder the paintwork by waxing it whilst this new, because of how soft it'll still be. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? A bit of direction will be much appreciated...

Also, (And I'm prepared to get spanked for not using the search function here..).. Hard wiring an iPhone into the armrest to charge the phone / have control over music through headunit / maintain bluetooth function? I see lots of posts with lots of letters on them, but no idea what they mean...

Cheers,

Ash.

Depends when the car was painted.
Unlikely it's only just been painted.

A dealer offers Supaguard, Diamondbrite etc don't they, which is a synthetic sealant. So a wax will be no worse.

I've had cars resprayed, and always been told never to seal them right away. As paint is still curing and venting, though that's with solvent paint, not water based like is used mostly.

White looks nice, but you won't get the depth you get from black or darker colours.
They also leave a slight orange peel effect, which is great for hiding imperfections, but not for the best shine or depth.

It's build slot was week 18, went into the factory end of April / beginning of May - hounding the dealer for delivery definitely works!! But the paint is not even a month old yet..

I've got a Diamondbrite pack that I could use instead, but could do with a little cooler weather... There's definitely a fair share of orange peel going on which I'd expected, just wanted a bit more 'ping' to the colour... :)

I'd speak to the dealer, just to cover your ***.
But I'm sure if you asked (paid) they would have used their own Diamonbrite etc on it.

Myself, I'd probably wait, or at least check then your covered.

Nothing you can do with orange peel, other than wet sand it.