Audi S3 quattro 3dr (2010 reg)

HarryJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just joined this forum. I'm in the process of getting a low mileage S3 (2010 3dr reg) in place of my current A3 1.6! A bit of a step up. Anyway, the car will be with my on Saturday and I have some nice s3 decals with me (specifically the right sort of size to go on the wheels). Any photos or pics of what you guys think look good? Car is phantom black by the way :)

H

Welcome to ASN. Hope you enjoy the forum. Put pics up when you collect. :) x

Congratulations - that will be a massive step up and I think you are going to enjoy yourself a lot.

I'd hang fire on the S3 decals; perhaps wait a month and see how you feel about fitting them then. The consensus seems to be that Audi get their badging just right and the "S" series of cars are intended to be discreet. If I saw a car with added S3 badges, my first though would be "that's not an S3".

Reactions: HarryJ
Congratulations - that will be a massive step up and I think you are going to enjoy yourself a lot.

I'd hang fire on the S3 decals; perhaps wait a month and see how you feel about fitting them then. The consensus seems to be that Audi get their badging just right and the "S" series of cars are intended to be discreet. If I saw a car with added S3 badges, my first though would be "that's not an S3".

Thanks for the advice mate. You are probably right (not just about the having fun bit), but also not wanting to over do it! Will post some pics when I can on saturday!

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention is there's a play locally which appears reliable and offers a remap, which I was going to get done (taking my S3 from 265 to a little over 300BHP). I'm thinking for a bit of extra power, why not :) Although I'm not aware how expensive a remap usually comes to?

Last edited:
You should ask on here about them. Maybe someone has used them before. If I was you I'd keep with the standard power for a bit. You're not going to be hungry for more if you're jumping from a 1.6! I'd look at other mods like intake and exhaust system, then when you've come to terms with the power you can jump straight to stage 2. Take some time to enjoy it for what it is first, and get some pics up when it arrives.

You should ask on here about them. Maybe someone has used them before. If I was you I'd keep with the standard power for a bit. You're not going to be hungry for more if you're jumping from a 1.6! I'd look at other mods like intake and exhaust system, then when you've come to terms with the power you can jump straight to stage 2. Take some time to enjoy it for what it is first, and get some pics up when it arrives.

Cheers for the advice mate. I think that sounds like the most sensible option. It will take me a good few weeks to get used to the change in power I reckon. Will have to take it easy at first.

Oh wow...so the car is absolutely amazing. It looks better than I remembered when I saw it last, it's as clean as can be...spotless. The interior is amazing! In comparison to my old 2006 Audi A3 1.6, it is another world actually having responsive acceleration in 4th and 5th gear...oh and a 6th gear, finally! The level of technology is also superb compared to my old 1.6, I just need to work out how to tune my radio as it seems to be unable to pick up channels (although I know it is capable of doing so), i've scanned it but no luck, any ideas? Certainly no way i'll be looking to get this remapped in the near future given the step up from a 1.6! The gears feel a lot easier to change, and the pedals are a lot heavier (my initial thoughts) - in a good way that is, as I was initially worrying how putting your foot down to much on the gas in 1st could be pretty easy, but it seems that Audi have nailed that potential issue. I'll get some pics up next week, can't at the moment as forgot the cable connecting my phone to my laptop. Now I just need an Aux cable to connect my phone to the sound system. Man I love Audi!

Will get some pics up on wednesday! OK, one slight issue, as the car has been thoroughly checked by Audi over the last week, I know it's not a fault, however it may get on my nerves. The car itself has done around 20k, and the Audi garage selling it I think (not certain), may have said the brake pads were new or recent. So, the problem is when I lightly brake at low speeds of about 15-20mph, the brakes make an annoying high pitched squeak. If I take this to my local garage next week, would it be something they could easily sort, as I don't want that noise attracting people!! Cheers.

oem brake pads make that noise. nothing to worry mate, i know it's annoying.

Congratulations on the new car....saw another black S3 3 door being prepped for someone today at my local dealers (Cambridgeshire), so another lucky potential ASN member in the making.

Regarding the brakes, you may be able to sort it just by braking heavily two or three times in a row, especially if it has been standing on a forecourt for a little while...give it a try and it may save you a few quid

Mate all this talk and no pics? get some pics up on here so we can perv!
as for the brakes you may need to just grind the edges down a bit on the pads as i know that helps it a bit sometimes.
if they are squeeling then it does sound like new pads...

Congratulations on the new car....saw another black S3 3 door being prepped for someone today at my local dealers (Cambridgeshire), so another lucky potential ASN member in the making.

Regarding the brakes, you may be able to sort it just by braking heavily two or three times in a row, especially if it has been standing on a forecourt for a little while...give it a try and it may save you a few quid

Hey mate, that may have been my car haha. It's 09, not 10 got that wrong!! I thought it was 10 due to the onboard sat nav system, which seems to only usually be on 10 reg's or later. It's a good looking car! Will give the advice given a go over the next few days and hopefully the sound will die down. It may just be because the brake pads are new(ish)!

If it was Cambridge Audi, then it must have been yours.....looked in lovely condition if it was !

Vindis Audi in Cambridge right? Yep that was mine :) It really is in good nick! Break pads seem to be getting better in this wet weather.

OK, so with some harder braking seems the brakes are getting better now! One thing I was also thinking about was the fog lights on the S3, do any of you have them on on a clear night too? I think it might be illegal, but I do feel fog lights and regular beam lights look sick at night, or is that just me? :s

Sorry, got yet another question (thought I may as well bump up this thread rather than create a new one). Music. So, I have an ipod plugged into the doc in the S3, and it will come up with tracks on the screen and I am able to flick through them with my steering wheel, but it will only get the track titles as no.1,2 etc. Is there anyway to be able to get the onboard computer to read the song titles properly off of the iPod or will it only ever be able to simply number them?

Mine reads track titles. Does your ipod show the track titles when you play it without it connected to your car?

There is some settings on the rns-e when you press setup button in media mode about track titles, it may be set to file name rather than track name.

Mine reads track titles. Does your ipod show the track titles when you play it without it connected to your car?

There is some settings on the rns-e when you press setup button in media mode about track titles, it may be set to file name rather than track name.

Thanks for the help mate, will give it a go and get back to you.

OK so I tried that, no success. Only option on set up I could find was for 'repeat'. The system is reading the iPod in the dock as a 'CD' and all the songs (despite them all being named on the iPod itself) come up as 'tracks'. It's not exactly a major issue, just a minor preference I guess.

I just need to work out how to tune my radio as it seems to be unable to pick up channels (although I know it is capable of doing so), i've scanned it but no luck, any ideas? !

If the RNSE has been a retrofit then its likely the FM antenna in the tailgate has not been upgraded which means the stations will stay `greyed out` on the screen.

If the RNSE has been a retrofit then its likely the FM antenna in the tailgate has not been upgraded which means the stations will stay `greyed out` on the screen.

Ah OK, is there a way to correct this to be able to get access to the stations?

You will need to fit the upgraded antenna, from memory the kit is £150 ish + Fitting.

Personaly I would take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it, they can also confirm if its a retro unit or a factory option from the VIN number.

Good luck

Cheers for the help with the radio. Another more general thing with regards to the car itself (and a question that will make me sound like an absolute newbie), when I make an effective change from 1st to 2nd gear (going for optimal acceleration), I notice that if I get it right the car launches itself (feels incredible), is this what you call 'launch control' or am I going off on something completely separate. this awesome feeling I get changing up from 1st gear to 2nd I obviously don't get with any other changes as dramatically, so was wondering if this is what you knew as launch control. Sorry for the load of questions. Still trying to work it all out!

Launch control is from a standing start and is inly available on the DSG as far as I know. Even then its not a published feature of the gearbox, again, as far as I know.

Sounds like your RNS-e has been retrofitted :(

Launch control is from a standing start and is inly available on the DSG as far as I know. Even then its not a published feature of the gearbox, again, as far as I know.

Sounds like your RNS-e has been retrofitted :(

Hmm, don't think so as it's been purchased through an Audi garage and no mention was made of it, nor on the papers. I think perhaps it's just the way I am changing the gears, does nobody else experience a similar reaction when chaging up from 1st gear?

One thing I was also thinking about was the fog lights on the S3, do any of you have them on on a clear night too? I think it might be illegal, but I do feel fog lights and regular beam lights look sick at night, or is that just me? :s

i do this all the time not been stopped YET haha,
iv got some LED spots wich look the dogs!:icon_thumright: