Giving the S3 beans!

RYes3

Reaction score
Hey,

Had my brand new S3 almost 2 weeks now and have got just over 850 miles on her so I have started to open the tap up a little here and there :) Firstly..... what a machine :) I keep reading about you guy's that remap so your probably thinking "wait till you remap and then see how you like it" but for now it is more than enough!! :rock:

I came from a 140 2.0 TDI A3 and I thought that thing was quick (remapped) but my god this thing shifts, and the sound when the DSG shifts up with the pop from the exhaust is immense!!! :respekt:

MPG is coming up now after a few tanks through it to between 25-30 MPG around town, not too shabby really.

Here is the thing, having come from a TDI the feeling of the rev's being so high is strange to me, I know its normal but I am still getting used to it. I almost feel a little guilty when opening it up saying to myself, "right that will do now and so on"! :)

So what's the verdict, who thrashes theirs and can the car take it long term? Help me feel at ease with getting the biggest grin factor I can out of it!!

Cheers,

Tom

modding is very addictive, you will always want more and its either your pocket or the worry of totally rebuilding your engine to take a big turbo that will stop you lol... all good fun though

Mine had done about 20 000 miles at Stg2+ before it had the big turbo treatment and ran a further 10 000 miles at 440bhp on stock internals.

Now that power and equivalent torque is about the safe limit of the stock internals but it was totally reliable on that.

The engine and block are pretty tough,and with uprated internals over 500bhp is practical enough if costly.

woah woah woah. you were running 440 bhp on stock internals? so all you changed was the turbo at stage 2+ and remapped to suit?

Id like to go as far as possible without doing forged internals you see...obviously safely...kinda don't want it going pop though...

woah woah woah. you were running 440 bhp on stock internals? so all you changed was the turbo at stage 2+ and remapped to suit?

Id like to go as far as possible without doing forged internals you see...obviously safely...kinda don't want it going pop though...

The shopping list for Stg3 is still pretty extensive and would include brakes,suspension and Haldex controller unless you want an evil handling car and that lot alone will set you back around £4.5k

Add a turbo kit at a minimum of £3k plus labour and bits like injectors,intercooler fuel pressure regulator and ancillaries and you can take that to around £5k.

440bhp and 400plus lbs is safe on stock rods but it is the safe limit.
And you'll need something like a Spec clutch if you use it hard.

Have a read of my build thread and it'll give you an idea of what's involved and costs.

Right now it's running a reliable 2bar plus water meth which equates to 500ish bhp.

Build it properly,treat it well and it will reward you with some pretty amazing power.

stage 2+ it is then. I don't think I can warrant spending quite that much to be honest :-/

stage 2+ it is then. I don't think I can warrant spending quite that much to be honest :-/

I've said before that overall,Stg2+ is by far the best value for an S3.

As much power as most will want plus reliable and usable everyday.
Mine is still an everyday drive by the way.

out of interest has anyone gone higher than stage 2+ on here with the DSG box? What can it handle?

Great info guy's, S3Alex I have been reading your big turbo thread today, epic car!

So a long as I make sure engine oil is warmed up nicely it will take it with ease based on what has been said in this thread :)

I would love to go the remap route but warranty issues worry me here :(

Last edited:
out of interest has anyone gone higher than stage 2+ on here with the DSG box? What can it handle?

The actual box is pretty tough and a mate over on VAGOC is putting 580bhp and over 500 lbs through his but the clutch pack is the limiting factor there.

If you don't go beyond Stg2+ though it will be fine.

Great info guy's, S3Alex I have been reading your big turbo thread today, epic car! So a long as I make sure engine oil is warmed up nicely it will take it with ease based on what has been said in this thread :)I would love to go the remap route but warranty issues worry me here :(
Thanks very much for the kind words.....a lot of people have been very helpful to me along the way,and thread is intended to help anyone else going this way...
I took the same view as you have for about the first 8 000 miles before caving in to the need for more power,and look where that got me!
Look after the engine...regular oil and plug changes,and you'll have something quick and reliable.

So more oil changes than just the standard long life service plan? I had wondered, 19000 seems an awful long time before changes!

So more oil changes than just the standard long life service plan? I had wondered, 19000 seems an awful long time before changes!
It is an awfully long time,and might just about be OK on a non-modified car,but if you see what the oil looks like when it's drained,you'd question even that.
Mine is changed every 5 000 miles or so,along with the plugs,but that's pretty much mandatory because of the boost and power......one other point,on a modded car,a catch can is a must to collect all the crap that usually ends up on the intake valves.

It is an awfully long time,and might just about be OK on a non-modified car,but if you see what the oil looks like when it's drained,you'd question even that.
Mine is changed every 5 000 miles or so,along with the plugs,but that's pretty much mandatory because of the boost and power......one other point,on a modded car,a catch can is a must to collect all the crap that usually ends up on the intake valves.

Thanks for the advice :) What are catch cans?

Thanks for the advice :) What are catch cans?
Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication
Basically it's a device that stops all of the rubbish vented from the cam cover via the awful PCV valve from reaching the intake valves........on a direct injection engine,there is no petrol vapour to clean the valve stems effectively,and all of this muck ends up burnt onto the valve stems.
Another good link with pics.... 2.0 TFSI : PCV / Intake valve clogging : what/why/common solutions

Thanks again, great info and one I will bookmark :)

Thanks again, great info and one I will bookmark :)
Having seen my own car's valves which didnt have a catch can over the first 10 000 miles,I would say this is an essential piece of kit,as the stuff that collects is nasty and cannot help airflow.

Having seen my own car's valves which didnt have a catch can over the first 10 000 miles,I would say this is an essential piece of kit,as the stuff that collects is nasty and cannot help airflow.

I will definitely be putting one of these on after watching a few videos! Are they easy to fit?

I will definitely be putting one of these on after watching a few videos! Are they easy to fit?
I confess to not fitting my own.....AMDTuning do all of my work,so I don't have to get my fingers grubby,but apart from one hose which has a clever plastic lock on it,it's not a terribly difficult job,and some of the guys here have done it themselves.
There should be a video on Forge's downloads page.... Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication